Quantcast

Archos TV Connect Turns Any TV Into An Android-Powered Smart TV

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jan 4, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

ARCHOS Announces TV Connect: An Android-Powered Device That Turns Your TV Into A Giant Tablet (click for full article)

Posted by Eric Ravenscraft in ARCHOS, News

"You're crazy for this one, ARCHOS! Today, the company most known for releasing the best cheap Android tablets before the Nexus 7 swooped in and drove a wedge between the concepts of "cheap" and "inexpensive" announced the TV Connect. This thing is designed to plug into your set and essentially turn it into a giant Android tablet. With a remote control. No, it's not Google TV. What.

The TV Connect will come with a 1.5GHz "Multi Core" processor of indeterminate origin, 1GB RAM, 8GB of storage, and Android 4.1. It also comes with a built-in HD camera for video chat purposes (think Logitech/Skype's living room solutions). Most curiously-or is it necessarily?-it includes a behemoth of a remote control that includes a full QWERTY keyboard, control sticks, d-pad, gamepad and trigger buttons, Android navigation buttons, buttons buttons, buttons. BUTTONS. Also, somehow it can be used as a pointer for "tapping and/or swiping motion." It's unclear if you would do this by waving the controller around Wiimote style, or if you could use more Kinect-ish gestures to move around the UI.

The company also touts "full multi-touch gesture support" which is completely baffling. With only a single picture of this controller to go on, it's a little difficult to tell if there is a touch pad on the underside, or if it would use some other kind of gesture to mimic things like pinch-to-zoom. The device would have to find a way, though, since it's a Google-licensed product and will come with full access to the Play Store. It would be pretty difficult without it.

The TV Connect will go on sale in February of this year for $129, but like everything in the industry, it will be available for demo at CES next week. As a pseudo-giant Android tablet goes, we'll have to see this thing for ourselves before we pass judgment, but hey, if it makes it easier to access Play Store content on your TV for cheap, it's at least doing something right. It might even fare better than Google TV has. We'll see, though."

Source: ARCHOS

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  2. CatfishRivers

The Archos android TV/camera device IMO is very similar to the upcoming Wise TIVI android tv/camera device:

VISION | WISE TIVI | MAIN MATERIALS

The Wise TIVI android camera device only costs $89. Both cameras are 720P HD. One big difference that I noticed is the controllers appear to be quite different. Archos is a more well known company - however that's no guarantee that their product will be better than the Wise TIVI products.

3. chopper

chopper Active Member

Just a heads up, I own an Archos device and they have had problems with releasing initially buggy devices which eventually are fixed with firmware upgrades. One of the main problems encountered was integration of their own excellent multimedia apps with Android. I would think by now they have made great strides towards releasing a more polished device right at release date. For more info. and to see for yourself check out Archosfans.com which I used to contribute to. For super users out there Archos are great at listening to the users complaints and fixing bugs for advanced issues. The major plus is they pretty much offer all the major codecs on their devices and excel in the Media arena. I will be watching the initial users reviews on that forum with great interest. If they go back to integrating a DVR into the TV device as they have in the past this would likely sway me back to them for my next Smart TV device. The Archos 605 with DVR hand held touch screen device I still own was able to make use of the tuner in an old VCR to record and playback TV shows in SD quality but it died on me several years ago. It too was a pass through device that made use of an IR blaster. I had owned this device before the iphone ever existed and for my purposes it worked like a charm.

If they end up releasing a device that is virtually bug free this could be a hit for GTV users outside the USA where Primetime remains missing from GTV! To be sure this device should be watched closely for the early adopter feedback. On the downside, if the device flops in sales, firmware support will likely fall by the wayside at some future date. Archos has a loyal following in Europe and are highly innovative. One of these days they just might have a hit and turn into the next Sony, RIM, Apple, Microsoft or Google!!!

Link: http://www.archos.com/products/home/archos_tv_connect/index.html?country=ca&lang=en&slider

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  4. chopper

chopper Active Member

ARCHOS TV connect by ARCHOS

This link shows the zoom and rotate functions on the new Blackberry-PSP style hybrid remote! Just scroll to the bottom of the web page!

5. chopper

chopper Active Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  6. chopper

chopper Active Member

Here is a look back at their first Smart TV devices with Multi-Country DVR capabilities:

Kind of makes me wonder why GTV is still missing Multi-Counrty Primetime capabilities. This is also where GTV could go next. Adding a built in DVR into GTV would be the perfect solution for those who do not want to rent a DVR from cable companies. For cable cutters a DVR that can record OTA signals would also be a major plus. Now give us movie sheets and voice seach capabilites for our DVR content and I think you will have a hit with consumers that rivals all the competition. Throw in a built in camera for skype calls and there is no limit to the popularity such a device would command.

7. chopper

chopper Active Member

It will be interesting to see what if any remote App devs come up with for this device for a smart phone or tablet! I am sure someone will attempt to use GTV native Apps on this device as well ie: You Tube, Chrome!

If Archos Connect is a hit and they decide to add Primetime and DVR functionality in a follow up device a year from now it could end up being a superior device to GTV!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  8. chopper

chopper Active Member

ArchosFans.com - News, Rumors and Reviews

Here the first video demonstrates the kinds of games this new device is likely going to be capable of playing! This is where GTV has also dropped the ball!

Here are user revues edit : review of the last Archos device I almost purchased but decided on the GTV Revue instead:

http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=59386

The negative revues may be due to the fact that Archos always tries to deliver on numerous features or they could be the result of super users unrealistic expectations. This time they just might get it right with a simple approach. I will be watching user reviews on this with a lot of interest in the New Year! It's going to be tempting to want to rush out and be an early adopter on this one.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  9. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Is this something completely different than the Android mini PC sticks we see so many of? If it is just like one of those but with a company that actually might support the device, it will be interesting to follow. Chopper, you need to get the word revue out of your head, the word you wanted was review when you are discussing what Archos users are saying about the product unless you are comparing it to the Logitech Revue. I thought only old people like me did silly things like that.

• Like Like x 2
  10. chopper

chopper Active Member

Thanks for the heads up Chris! I think perhaps Archos was ahead of it's time as they basically invented the PMP according to the loyal followers over at Archosfans.com! Perhaps they will shine brightly now that dual and quad core processors may help them do everything they want to jam into their devices. The hardware wasn't there for them in the past and I think they tried to overreach the capabilities of the devices they made up until recently. Personally I think the company is a take over candidate for Google they were there before Apple in the PMP market and likely hold patents up the ying yang!

Edit: It looks like Archos has gone for pure Android rencently with no skins and it also looks like they had switched their proprietary Media Apps to be Android Apps instead of running their custom firmware on top of or along side of Android. The result appears to be much slicker tablets as of late which bodes well for the new Archos Connect!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  11. chopper

chopper Active Member

Here is the number 1 reason why this device could be a big hit in 2013! If they include the vast array of codecs they do on the Archos 101 XS tablet it will sway users to buy this device. Their custom music and video apps are really very cool!

ARCHOS 101 XS by ARCHOS

12. chopper

chopper Active Member

Here is a cool feature that might work really well with Archos Connect:

13. CatfishRivers

Closer look at the Archos TV Connect Android TV box (video) - Liliputing (click for full article)

"The Archos TV Connect is a box you can plug into a TV to run Android apps on a big screen. We've seen a lot of those in the past year. But the Archos model is designed to sit on top of a TV, points a webcam at you for Skype and other applications, and comes with a kind of ridiculous, kind of awesome Bluetooth remote for navigating Android on your TV.

Archos is also calling the $129 TV Connect the first officially Google Certified device of its type... although lack of official certification doesn't seem to have stopped white box Chinese device makers from loading the Play Store on their TV sticks. Still, most big-name device makers use Google TV rather than Android for this sort of device.

While it's largely the remote and camera that make the Archos box stand out, it also features media center software from Archos. While the media apps were originally designed for tablet-sized devices, they look pretty great on full screen TVs, and offer a few nice touches such as the ability to automatically download movie poster artwork from the internet.

I'm also hopeful that the Archos TV Connect won't suffer from the flaky WiFi we see from many cheaper Android TV sticks. But if you do have WiFi issues you can always connect to the internet using the box's Ethernet jack. There's also a USB port which you can use for extra storage, to plug in a mouse or keyboard, or even to use an Xbox controller or other gamepad.

The TV Connect has a 1.5 GHz TI OMAP 4470 dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 processor, 1GB of RAM and 8GB of built-in storage. It's running Android 4.1 Jelly Bean and features the Google Play Store. You can use it to watch Netflix, stream videos over your home network, or play games on your TV.

While the remote control looks like a bit of a beast, it's actually fairly light and fits comfortably in your hands... plural. It's a two-hand controller that'll be kind of tough to use with a single hand.

But Archos offers several different ways to use the controller. There's a built-in QWERTY keyboard for entering text, an air mouse function that lets you wave around the remote to move an on-screen cursor, and arrow buttons that let you select apps.

You can also use the direction pads and other buttons to for gaming, or use both analog sticks for pinch-to-zoom and other multitouch gestures such as rotating a map or picture.

You can check out the TV Connect in action in one of my shakiest videos yet from this year's CES. Bear in mind that the CES show floor is filled with wireless devices, which is why the Bluetooth remote kept losing its connection to the TV box."

14. CatfishRivers

I thought this was an interesting statement from the article in my previous post:

"Archos is also calling the $129 TV Connect the first officially Google Certified device of its type"

15. chopper

chopper Active Member

This demo mentions voice search is also included:

16. chopper

chopper Active Member

I wish Archos made a GTV device! Actually, I would rather see them stay away from GTV for now but offer an add on device that would convert Archos TV Connect into a device that could send out IR signals to control a cable providers set top box so that the Primetime App could be side loaded and used on a non-GTV device with the full Android experience. I would install the following GTV Apps on the Achros TV connect to create the best GTV device available as of right now IMHO: Launcher, You Tube, Chrome, Mitty, 1Channel and Myth TV front end for GTV. Perhaps some of the tablet versions of these Apps would work better on the big screen than the GTV versions of these Apps. With a full Android UI users will no longer be faced with the dreaded "this app is not compatible with your device" message from Google Play. Being able to play all Android games and having Archos' vast codec support makes this device a potential GTV killer. For me this device has the potential to be a kind if hardware rooted version of GTV.

This device being controlled via a phone or tablet remote app yet to be created could be a game changer as well.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  17. chopper

chopper Active Member

More info:

18. chopper

chopper Active Member

19. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

What's to follow? Nobody has one as far as I can tell. You are waiting for somebody else to buy one, you need to order it and see how it works. If everybody is waiting for somebody else, nobody will ever buy one.

20. chopper

chopper Active Member

I have had buggy experiences with Archos in the past. A wait and see approach is for the best. If this doesn't pan out I am thinking forget the TV - enter Nexus 7!