Quantcast

Arcadyan Technology To Begin Shipments Of Google TV-Based STBs In 1Q14

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Oct 23, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Arcadyan Technology to begin shipments of Google TV-based STBs in 1Q14

Irene Chen, Taipei; Adam Hwang, DIGITIMES [Tuesday 22 October 2013]

--Taiwan-based networking/communications device maker Arcadyan Technology has obtained licensing for its STB (set-top boxes) based on the Google TV platform and has landed orders from telecom carriers in Europe with shipments to begin around the end of the first quarter of 2014, according to company president Lee Hong-yuh.

In addition, Arcadyan has successfully developed IP STBs for broadband gateways, with telecom carriers target customers, Lee indicated. Broadband gateways with built-in IP STBs will be among the company's marketing focuses in 2014, Lee said.

Arcadyan is showcasing products based on new-generation broadband networking technologies, such as VDSL Vectoring and VDSL Bonding, at the Broadband World Forum taking place in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, during October 22-24.

While Arcadyan's shipments of LTE terminal devices in 2013 are expected to drop on year, shipments will significantly rebound in 2014 mainly because many LTE networks in Europe will start commercial operations, Lee said.

Arcadyan posted consolidated revenues of NT$3.837 billion (US$130 million) for the third quarter of 2013, decreasing 22%, and NT$12.896 billion for January-September, increasing 22% on year.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Based on the article nothing was mentioned about this box being made available in USA as an OTT (Over-The-Top) box directly to consumers. In other words it appears the Arcadyan box is targeted towards telecom providers in Europe. At least it shows (apparently) that the Google-TV (Android-TV) platform is still trying to move forward. There will probably be some OTT Android TV boxes (for USA) revealed at CES in January.

I take these announcements that manufacturers are making "Google TV boxes" for TV providers overseas with a grain of salt. This is because LG and ST-Microelectronics both announced IPTV boxes that support Google TV - and supposedly they had deals to sell their boxes to TV providers. But to the best of my knowledge LGU (not LG) in Korea is the only TV provider actually using a set-top box with Google TV.

I think a few more TV providers in Europe might climb on board with GTV - however in USA I doubt any will. In USA GTV will need to be marketed as an OTT box or built into televisions.

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-general-discussion/8513-st-micro-announces-its-set-top-box-processors-support-google-tv-service.html

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...-cable-show-2013-lg-enters-cable-box-biz.html

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I can't say I have ever heard of Arcadyan but this sounds like good news to me. I would think the chances any US cable companies offer cable boxes with Google TV in 2014 is approximately zero.