Quantcast

Apps for multiple Google TV devices, purchase once and use with all?

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by ChrisG8, Jun 4, 2012.

1. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

The only Google Play app I have purchased so far is Plex and from my PC, I was able to order install on all 3 Google TV boxes I own for the one time purchase price. Is this the norm or does it vary by app and some require a purchase for each device? The Plex Multi Media Server for PC was free so this app is quite a bargain. Now if only I could figure out how to use it.

2. twiz

twiz New Member

It may vary by app, but the few that I have purchased (OfficeSuite by MobileSystems, etc) show up as purchased on both my Droid3 and my Revue - IF they're supported by both devices. So I generally assume that the unsupported purchased apps I've sideloaded onto my Revue would have showed up as purchased on my Revue if they were natively supported.

3. royfernandez1

royfernandez1 New Member

You can install it on multiple boxes as long as the apps aren't 'copy-protected'. By the way, Plex is got a great wiki (with well written tutorials) , you'd learn it no time.

Good luck ChrisG8!

4. madman999

madman999 Member

I have found that you can share most apps between devices.
    Don't know if that was what was intended but it's caused me to buy alot more android devices.

Sent from my Htc Incredible via tapatalk....

5. ChrisG8

Thanks. I need to read that Plex wiki. I am using PlayOn with good results and love it for the standard definition sites blocking Google TV, meaning some networks and Hulu but I would like to get Plex working for other needs with the Plex server running on a different computer than the PlayOn server.

6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Excuse me if this comes across as an uninformed question - but the Revue is my only internet device (no computer) - would there be any benefit for me to purchase the Plex app (to use with only my Logitech Revue)? I'm kind of assuming that it requires a computer to make it worth while?

7. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

Once you buy an App, you own it. And yes it was intentional as many sites speak of accessing Free & Paid Apps from multiple devices. Also, any Paid App that is compatible between devices, computers and Macs you Should find are free for installation. With Android Apps you should use: (not the Google Play App)

https://play.google.com/apps

Tips:

After you sign in the list of purchased Apps will list all Apps you purchased for the lifetime of your Google Acct. These will always be available for installing w/out additional fees. (Unless otherwise stated in the individual Apps Terms Of Service.) Also, you may find the "Install" link unclickable from time to time. Simply back out of page and go back or try reloading. Once the page is properly cached you should be able to use all links as long as the cookie lasts.

With Apps for computers you should go to the website of the App you want to install. But keep in mind, most Apps we are using will be redundant on a PC as your PC will usually have full function on the website.

An example of an App that is required on a PC is OnLive. I was able to install the website App on a laptop and access my GTV OnLive acct just by signing in. So all Apps should require only one sign in for all devices/PCs/Macs both on the Apps and websites.

Carl

8. ChrisG8

I think that could only make sense if you have a close friendly neighbor running a Plex server with a few terabytes of files to access. I don't know how long the crazy low price of 99 cents will last so if you plan to buy a computer, that could be a reason to buy it now. I don't think the Plex app will ever evolve into anything that could be a standalone GTV app of benefit without a computer but maybe somebody else knows of something.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Carlszone

Hi

Chris ya beat me to it. I was still doing the research but I already knew the results. Plex clearly explains before ya buy the App that you need a server. In this case that would be a networked PC. Many folks are getting confused w/the Cloud integration technology. But this only applies to services between compatible web-based sites and services. And I may be wrong, but has anyone figured out how our Syncing of Bookmarks and Apps are specifically server located?

Carl

10. ChrisG8

I am thinking about loading Android on my HP Touchpad. Has anybody here done that and will Google Play reconize the HP on my network and allow installation of compatible apps already purchased?

11. Carlszone