Quantcast

Apps expanding Google TV

Discussion in 'More News from Your Google TV News Team' started by Rickaren, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Apps expanding Google TV

June 22, 2011

Google is showing off new ways Internet-connected television can create social experiences, highlighting some apps from a developer called MOVL that is building programs for Google TV.

The apps are discussed in a post in Google's
    official blog and a drawing-guessing game called WeDraw.TV in which the TV acts as a game board, and players use their Android and iOS devices as controllers to scribble pictures and guess secret words. Another game, called PokerFun.tv turns a television into a poker table, and players use mobile devices to hold cards and place bets.

Both apps were inspired by the tendency of people tinkering with their smart devices while watching television, splitting their attention between the two:

"So we thought, wouldn’t it be great if we could create an experience that takes advantage of the fact that everyone uses their mobile device while crowded around the TV, and create something that brings people together into a shared social experience," MOVL says. "When GoogleTV unleashed the web experience right on our TV, they did it in a way that blurs the lines in how we consume TV and web based content."

MOVL presents a peek at their newest app, PokerFun.
    Texas Hold'em with a social twist, tons of features and tons of fun......PokerFun!

SOURCE

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Why can't they design the apps so they work with the controllers that come as standard equipment when Google TV is purchased. Or at least just have an optional game controller that could be purchased for this purpose. I have absolutely no interest in ever purchasing and using a mobile phone. I hate those things ... besides new studies show that mobile phones cause brain cancer. This new Google TV app is absolutely useless for me......

3. daddypants

daddypants New Member

I agree, the phone controller app is useless to me.

I do think its cool that my Google TV remote works as a controller on my PS3 though, and that my VAIO laptop can also be the remote for my GTV too.

4. curmudgeon

curmudgeon New Member

What am I missing here? If a group of friends wanted to play poker, wouldn't it be easier to just open a deck of cards? Using the tv as a game board? How about using a table as the game board?

5. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

I wonder if it works with an iPad or iPod??

6. stinnergy

stinnergy New Member

That may require eye contact. I like your point, curm.