Quantcast

Apps Disappeared

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by Travel, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Travel

Travel Active Member

I had the apps: Google Play Store, IMDB, Flixter and Pandora on the GoogleTV Home Page and they disappeared. They're gone from the "All Apps" page, also. Other apps remain: Chrome, Netflix, TV, etc.

I've tried rebooting/unpluging the box as well as the modem, and going through all the GoogleTV settings; these same apps are missing from the "Manage Applications" list, also.

Anyone have a suggestion on a fix for this problem?

2. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

3. Travel

Travel Active Member

LOl, do you seriously think anyone's going to wade through all that?

I "Factory Reset" the box and that fixed everything.

4. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Google TV Tips :)

What do you mean wade through all that? (that's only few thousand lines, lol)
    The (above :rolleyes:) link lands you right on the top of "Perform a Factory-Reset" suggestion, btw.

You welcome ;)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  5. Travel

Travel Active Member

No it doesn't. It lands you right on top of about five different, irrelevant functions. One of which, obviously, just coincidentally has a factory reset within the context of the irrelavant function. And none even mention anything about missing apps, btw.

You're welcome.

6. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Btw, when you clicked on this link Google TV Tips , which tip displayed at the very top of your screen? (see below⬇)

Glad you've resolved it one way or another.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  7. Travel

Travel Active Member

Btw, where in the linked-tip did it say anything about "missing apps"? In that same screen-view, it was about Harmony components.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  8. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

I had the same problem once when I tried forcing an update on my google tv using the force stop and close of one of the programs on my google tv that people suggest will not hurt the google tv. I ended up having to finally reset the google tv and when it asked if I wanted to restore from backup I had to say no as the files on my google tv webpage were not syncing with my google tv apps on the google tv. Only after I did that did my google tv go back to acting normally.

9. Travel

Travel Active Member

Yes, "a factory reset" can cure a lot of "apps problems." After one of the past Youtube-updates, the "option box" for playing a Youtube video on a choice of either the "Chrome site" or the YouTube app, disappeared, but it could be restored upon a factory reset.

The only problem with factory resets is that you have to reinstall all of your non-native apps, "short cuts" and GoogleTV bookmarks, afterwards. That's one reason why I keep almost all bookmarks web-based on "iGoogle" or "Symballoo."

• Like Like x 2
  10. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

You can sync your GTV bookmarks to your Google Account - doing this means that your GTV bookmarks will be automatically restored when you do a factory reset. See post number 5 in the following thread for instructions (and posts 6-15 for further discussion on the procedure):

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/logitech-revue/7020-revue-very-slow.html

• Like Like x 2
  11. Travel

Travel Active Member

Thanks, Catfish. Yes I remember Carl's posts on this. Carl also gave the great tip when I first started using the Revue about Symballoo and provided a link to your extensive "TV on the net" tile collection.

The thing is about the GoogleTV/Chrome settings bookmarks is that I only use four bookmarks, anyway: an e-mail link, and iGoogle, Symballoo and a Bing link. It's just that I'm used to this set-up, but may start using more Google bookmarks in the future.

• Like Like x 2
  12. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

My Logitech Revue lost the Google Play and Primetime apps. I couldn't remember the best way to solve the issue so I started a factory reset but got the message the server was unavailable. I have officially replaced the Revue with a Sony NSZ-GT1, which is slightly better overall anyway. I can't imagine I will ever connect a Revue again but I am ready to do that if a great hack is discovered that makes the Revue worth using for me.

13. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

Anther great thing I found out about the restore feature. If you get any one of the newer devices, except the Vizio Co-Star, (unless they've fixed it) your apps & bookmarks should automatically load on the new device as long as you use the same e-mail acct. I start for the Play Store to load apps and all of a sudden the apps began to load. It was beautiful to behold!

Carl

14. Travel

Travel Active Member

The last time I did a factory reset, which was about two weeks ago (on the Revue), all the apps, including non-native apps (but not the "shortcuts") in the "All Apps" restored automatically. I had the apps and shortcuts all written-out, expecting to have to reinstall all of them, but the apps were already there in the "All Apps" after the factory reset. So, it isn't just the new devices, but also the Revue that's restoring non-native apps. Also, there were no "unavailable server" or any other error messages.

Everything worked great.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  15. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

I'm actually saying that the restoration of apps & bookmarks from the Logitech Revue to another GTV device new or old can be transferred seamlessly. The only device that didn't was the Co-Star. And I hope that has been fixed. In other words, the Restore feature if properly synced should work between all GTV devices & TVs.

Thanks

Carl

16. dchampeau1

dchampeau1 New Member

when I do a ctrl-alt-del reboot, many apps are missing. YouTube, Market, Pandora. Only a factory reset brings them back. Terrible.

17. CatfishRivers

IMO it sounds like you have outdated (or poisoned) DNS cache. This issue was raised in the following thread:

Re: Android Market Not Working/Loading - Logitech Forums

As discussed in that thread The fix would be to set a static IP.

18. CatfishRivers

This notion of outdated cache is something new to me. Many thanks to Eferz for his suggested solution of setting a static IP - which apparently has helped many other Revue users. Unfortunately I'm not using a router - and I'm unable to change the DNS on my Revue. But I've had the problem of apps disappearing, apps coming & going, syncing issues etc.

What I'd be interested in knowing: Is this "outdated cache" issue primarily related to the Revue? To only GTV devices? And is it the fault of the ISP? the GTV device? Google Play Store?, Google accounts? or an android issue?

This disappearing apps phenomenon seems weird - and it's irritating. If I replaced my GTV hardware would the problem stop or not? Inquiring minds want to know... -:)

19. dchampeau1

dchampeau1 New Member

I installed Smart RAM Booster yesterday as the first step as I found described in another post.

strange thing is I did a ctrl-alt-del yesterday and all the apps started perfectly. I will keep observing. My ISP is Verizon so I doubt if I can set a static IP.

It seems that over time the Flash plugin starts to have problems (maybe a memory leak) and that is why I have to periodically reboot the Revue.

Thanks for all the help.

20. CatfishRivers

If you are using a router in your set-up than you should be able to set a static IP. People connected directly by modem without a router have issues setting the static IP. There are several threads on the forum with instructions for setting a static IP.

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/sony-s-nsz-gs7/6970-changing-dns.html

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...n/4562-dns-change-really-had-much-effect.html

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013