Quantcast

Apple's Agnostic Approach To TV: Better Than Google's But Not A Winner For Viewers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jul 20, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Apple?s agnostic approach to TV: better than Google?s but not a win for viewers ? Tech News and Analysis (click for full article)

by Jeff John Roberts - July 20, 2013

SUMMARY:
    Two tech giants took new steps this week to shake up the TV industry - in the long term, Apple is the best bet to emerge a winner.

-- "The TV industry is in a strange holding pattern. Its longtime business model - which involves force-feeding expensive bundles of unwanted channels to subscribers - is unpopular and outdated, but no one has been able to disrupt it due to industry incumbents' death grip on prize content.

The best hope for a shake-up comes from rich tech giants Apple and Google, which have been nibbling for years at the edges of the so-called "TV Industrial complex" but still haven't made a big bet. The reason they're holding back has nothing to do with tech and everything to do with content: the rights to popular programming like the NFL or Game of Thrones are wildly expensive to license, and any disruptor will need to buy a lot of it to truly compete with the cable and satellite guys.

The two tech companies have adopted different strategies to solve the content dilemma and, for now, it appears Apple has the better one. "

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  2. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Its all BS, spin, whatever ya want to call it. Subscribers still rule. We determine the market. And so far, the internet is winning. Yeah, we won't see the results any time soon. But our money is not invested in cable anymore. If subscribers are not enticed by cable, where will the future of media end up? The internet is the only option. It is relatively small right now. But...

It can only expand. These companies are trying to add internet access via their hated subscription service. It will work for a short while, but subscribers will eventually rebel. Cable will continue to control our media access until the whole thing implodes. Not by some internet access device like Roku or Gtv, but under the strain of their own limited imaginations. Cable & the internet will merge.

But how remains the only question...

Carl

3. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Member

The only problem with getting programming from the Internet will be the cost to get on the Internet.

The same program providers today are the same folks that offer us the gateway to the Internet.

I can see a time when we will have data limits. Need enough data in order to watch tv for four hours, great you can get it at $200.00 per month.

Rember that at one time all cellular company's offered unlimited data. Today they call that a mistake and offer tier pricing. I can see this happen with our Internet providers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Carlszone

Excellent point!

I went over my limit for the first time ever last month. How I used 250 Gigs is beyond me. But not having cable did significantly up my data usage. Next month I'm planning to go from Preferred to Premiere to add another 50 Gigs. I'm almost over my limit again this month.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I keep on seeing claims that it just isn't possible to get a good programming selection without a pay TV service now, meaning right now. I feel that is false, I use a PC, Google TV, Blu-ray, TiVo with OTA, and Roku and have quite a selection available at all times. Of course almost nobody is going to put up with a fleet of components like that to be able to watch TV. Apple TV would add iTunes but I have nothing on iTunes and Apple TV wouldn't get me anything else I want so at least I don't have on of those. The PrimeTime guide really doesn't help me any, I just know where to go for what I want but Google TV is at the center of finding what I want to watch. I do spend about $8 month on rentals, recent movies or Vudu 99 cent rentals, but don't have any pay subscription services like Netflix or Hulu Plus or Amazon Prime although I have nothing against those services, I like all of them, just not enough to pay for them right now.

6. CatfishRivers

The cable TV companies are getting smarter. Let me explain:

Currently I subscribe to Comcast Economy Internet. Without a TV subscription this costs $39.95/mo. However with a TV subscription the cost is only $29.95/mo.

Comcast always has 1 super TV deal that is offered tby the "retention department". So currently the deal is the "Digital Starter" TV package. This gives the user about 60 channels. The cost for this service currently is $14.95. So by taking the $14.95 deal - in essence it's only costing me $4.95 - because my internet price is lowered to $29.95 with the TV package.

IMO I'd rather spend the $4.95 on the Comcast TV package than spend money on Roku and bother with another box and more subscriptions to Netflix, Hulu Plus etc. The Digital Starter is not the top tier TV package so it doesn't get everything - but for $4.95 it's plenty good enough for me and makes sense. It's cheaper than a Netflix subscription.

7. ChrisG8

I think most people will agree, a pay TV package of some sort is preferable to going to all the trouble I have gone to so I can avoid a pay TV package. My point is, it is possible now if you want to go to all of the trouble and have all of the boxes necessary.

8. Carlszone

Is it just me or does steaming from a computer use more data? Looking back I realize how I went over my limit. I was streaming the HLN watching a trial on the computer while streaming Netflix during the commercial breaks. Sometime vice versa. Netflix on the computer used way more data than when streamed via the GS7. I guess eventually I just might get basic cable for news. If I fall asleep while watching late news my data usage goes through the roof.

Dang, can't seem to find a happy medium w/out adding cable to the mix...

9. ChrisG8

I think the data usage is going to be a problem at some point for me as well which is why I use an antenna with TiVo, Blu-ray and DVD. I don't know my data usage but tried to estimate it some time ago, I don't think I have ever been over 200 GB during any given month but AT&T isn't keeping track as far as I know.

10. Carlszone

Yeah, I've tried using an antenna but it seems I'm too close to the base. I've used different antennas from the basic rabbit ears which actually worked best, to Mohu Leaf to a really cool rotating indoor w/remote. Nothing works reliably. If I go w/the basic cable package I should be able to get a box that will allow for HDMI pass through. I'd love to have the Quick Guide again.

11. Carlszone

Yesterday I received an offer from Cox to go to the next tier (from Preferred 250 GBs to Premiere at 300 GBs) for $5.00 extra a month for 6/mo. I took it. So now I should have enough data allowance w/out going the cable route which would have been a lot more expensive. Also noticed a difference in speed from 20 mbps to 35 mbps down & 5 mbps to 20 mbps up.

So still cable free for now...

12. CatfishRivers

Comcast used to have a 250 GB monthly limit - however they removed the limit (at least for now). I have never come even remotely close to the 250 GB monthly amount with my Logitech Revue.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  13. CatfishRivers

Hang in there Carl help could be on the way soon! -:)

Cox Targets Cord-Cutters With Internet TV Test in Southern California (Exclusive) | Variety

• Like Like x 2
  14. Carlszone

Thanks Catfish

No matter the setbacks I always maintain that internet and cable must merge. The fact that Cox is offering its customers a higher tier of BB at reduced prices is indicative of the dilemma they are facing. How to cater to the cord cutters while not abandoning their main source of revenue, cable.

Looking forward to where this goes...

Carl