Quantcast

Apple Unveils iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Oct 5, 2011.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

2. danger-rat

danger-rat Moderator Staff Member

Yawn - wonder if they will try and sue themselves for patent infringement on the old iPhone 4?

3. StevenB

StevenB New Member

Haha nice one danger-rat. The 4s has been set up to fail.

4. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

Hey guys,

Can't you say those things behind my back, like everybody else does???? [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

Android is going to walk away with the smart phone market this year if that is all apple could come up with.

6. danger-rat

danger-rat Moderator Staff Member

In all fairness, they make some solid products (even if their attitude sinks) - I'm pretty sure they will be selling a ton of those things!

7. StevenB

StevenB New Member

I heard my phone company, C-Spire, is getting it! I think I'm going to stick with my HTC Desire for now though. I really enjoy Android.

8. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Smart man! Use Wolfram Alpha for a Siri-like experience in Android. Indeed, I seem to recall a story where Steve Wozniak indicated one of his last communications with Steve Jobs was his displeasure at the decision to eliminate Wolfram Alpha from the Siri platform...apparently during beta, they services were fused, and 'Woz' thought his voice commands and research were much more comprehensive. Woz noticed an immediate difference when Alpha was pulled, and called Jobs about it. Little did he know at the time that it may have been his final conversation with Jobs.

9. sparkyscott21

I agree about Steve being a smart man as well.. Siri.. Meh.. Don't know a whole lot about it as of yet, cuz I still use the iPhone 4.. [​IMG]

Now, the iPhone 5, that will be out mid '12, yeppers, I am definitely getting that puppy, with out question.. Much anew about that baby.. You wait and see...

The only problem is not enough coverage in these here parts.. In fact, [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  10. StevenB

StevenB New Member

HAHA nice nice .gif! What network are you with? I know a lot of people were expecting the iPhone 5 to be released this year, not the 4S.. It's a shame!!

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I don't understand. How would it be any better if Apple called it the iPhone 5? Whether they call it a 5, 4H, 3D, 2B... its the just the next next iteration of the phone.

12. StevenB

StevenB New Member

Ah. I guess I should be clear in what I mean. The iPhone users that I know expected a bigger upgrade from their current phone, the 4. The 4S is an upgrade, but not to the extent they wanted. To them, it is like a tweak instead of a full upgrade, ya know?

13. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Ah, okay. Gotcha. I think part of that disappointment is not realizing that the features that are leaked during the year are usually being developed for the following generation. While the features for next generation had been leaked last year. Well, depending on the source of the leaks of course. It's all speculation and conjecture anyways.

14. StevenB

StevenB New Member

Yeah you're probably right on that part. I experienced a slight disappointment when I was hearing about Ice Cream Sandwich but instead only saw Gingerbread. Of course, for me that didn't affect me, but the concept of disappointment is still the same.

15. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

If you're referring Ice Cream Sandwich in regards to the Google TV 2.0 update, at least I was here challenge those expectations. Sometimes, I feel as those most of my time spent is trying to give people a more founded perspective of technology.

16. sparkyscott21

I have AT&T..... I am in very rural Northermn Michigan... Spotty service at best with any provider, and not all of them work period here.

17. sparkyscott21

iPhone 5 Gets Tapered Design, Larger Screen, Gesture-Sensitive Home Button?
    [​IMG]

It appears that Apple may be prototyping an iPhone 5 with a tapered design, a larger 3.7-inch screen, and a gesture-sensitive home button, according to “This is my next”.

[​IMG]

The above mockup is a visual aid they have created to illustrate several rumors that they have sourced. The rumors, in essence, are as follows (as interpreted by the good folks at Cult of Mac):

New design: Apple is testing several prototypes (we all know this) and one of the leading candidates for the iPhone 5 is thinner than the current iPhone 4 and looks “more like the iPod touch.” It has a teardrop shape – thinner at the bottom than the top, like the new MacBook Air.

Gesture-sensitive Home Button: The Home Button will be bigger and will understand a gestures. “Our sources say that gestures are definitely coming in a future version of iOS,”

Larger screen: the screen will go up to 3.7-inches, not 4-inches as rumored. It will keep the current resolution, dropping pixel density goes from 326 to 312, but will still be a Retina Display (it’s still above 300ppi).

No Bezel: Screen will be edge-to-edge, occupying the entire front of the iPhone. That means no bezel (or almost no bezel).

Hidden earpiece & mouthpiece: The earpiece and sensors are behind the screen itself.

Inductive charging: It may or may not have wireless inductive charging. Crystal ball is cloudy.
    NFC: Likewise it may or may not have NFC.

Global radio chips: It’ll be based on Qualcomm’s dual GSM/CDMA Gobi chipset, which means it’ll work on a ton of GSM and CDMA networks worldwide, most importantly in China.

As with all rumors, the caveat is that this is, in fact, a rumor – all things are subject to change, and this may or may not at all represent the final form of the iPhone 5 – although some of the claims, such as the global chip and larger screen, do seem quite likely.

11-18-11​
    Source​

18. stuberman

stuberman Member

That 'news' is from 6 months ago.

• Like Like x 2
  19. sparkyscott21

It must be the accent
    [​IMG]

Microsoft’s Craig Mundie shoved his foot knee deep in his mouth this week when he said that Siri was nothing special, and Microsoft’s own voice capabilities have been around for over a year. The reason for Siri’s success? Marketing, of course.

People are infatuated with Apple announcing it. It’s good marketing, but at least as the technological capability you could argue that Microsoft has had a similar capability in Windows Phones for more than a year, since Windows Phone 7 was introduced.
    To be fair, Siri isn’t even about the Voice Recognition, it is what the iPhone does with it. The voice recognition is outsourced to Nuance’s engine. The Microsoft Phone barely made it to the point where you could make sense out of what its engine produced.

If you were Microsoft, would you rather Mundie be so out of touch with the technology he is talking about that he can’t tell the difference, or that he’s just flat out shamelessly lying?
    11-25-11​
    Source​

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  20. sparkyscott21

Siri can now control Plex media playback using the Siri Proxy [video]

Siri can now control Plex media playback using the Siri Proxy. In case you missed it earlier, a developer created a SiriProxy to control a thermostat and then made the code available for others to use.

The SiriProxy stands in between your iPhone 4S and Apple’s servers. It then intercepts Siri voice commands. This proxy enables additional commands to be added to Siri’s repitoire without any input from Apple. It has been demonstrated as a tool to start cars and even control third-party apps.

The latest video shows Siri controlling media playback on a TV which is hooked up to a Plex enabled system. Plex is multi-platform software to organize and play back local and online media. The developer uses Siri via the Siri Proxy to play movies and TV Shows using the Plex command line interface.

The most impressive part of the demonstration is the speed the media plays after receiving the instruction from Siri. After you watch the video, you will have no doubt that Siri is the future for the Apple TV or of course the often rumored Apple TV set.

11-27-11

Source

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014