Quantcast

Apple TV with 32% and Google TV ?% of the internet connected TV market FYE 12/31/2011

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by ChrisG8, Dec 15, 2011.

1. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Report: An Apple connected TV will run away with the market - FierceIPTV

Apple TV set to earn 32% marketshare for "Connected TV Players" in 2011

I am not sure who funded the study or how the marketshare was calculated but I think predictions of another Apple dominated market are premature. I think Google TV will have about 50% of the market in 2012 and by 2013, Apple TV will be near extinction. My prediction is based solely on comparing what the devices can do and how I expect each to evolve. I am also not buying that Apple has almost a third of the market now even though I don't disagree the market isn't huge yet.

2. HDCowboy

HDCowboy New Member

From todaysiphone.com! I think its more of a fake advertisement than a study! It's a wonder Mickeysoft aint came out with there own TV yet though! LOL!

3. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

I think these guys are ignoring the rising importance of consoles being used to stream video content. 50% of netflix streaming comes from consoles. Cnet recently had an article on this topic.

4. ChrisG8

I agree nothing is clear about the market yet and the industry needs to define what an internet TV connected player is and what to call it before we can attempt to decide how that market is shared. I have TiVos, PS3s and Blu-ray players capable of several internet TV functions but I don't consider those devices part of the market Google TV and Apple TV are trying to dominate but there are certainly similarities. It may be a game console or Blu-ray player will be how most people access internet TV or it may ultimately be more common for the access to be built into the display. If the PS3 and XBox 360 are considered devices for the market, then already clearly those two are the dominate players. The Wii doesn't even do HD, someone just take the stupid thing out on the driveway and smash it to bits with a sledgehammer, why is it even in the discussion? For me, everything I have used except Google TV is too limited and shouldn't be considered a competitor for the market but if all I wanted was Netflix and Pandora, that is covered by several devices I own.

If there is a market right now and products to compete for the market, Roku, Apple TV, Google TV, WD TV, Boxee, etc., it sure seems likely to me that Google TV would have more units in service than any of them but none of them have amounted to much yet. About the only thing I can agree with from the articles about Apple TV is that Apple considers it a hobby so far. Next year, it quits being a hobby and becomes a viable market is my prediction.

If the PS3 really would be updated with Google TV, that would be a game changer. I am not even sure Sony will stick with Google TV and if Sony bails out and none of the other major electronics companies step into its place, then Google TV becomes a minor player rather than major player immediately. I saw yesterday that Target has a Sony streaming player beside Roku and Vizio players, the SMP-SN200 without Google TV, so consumers are going to be confused and frustrated trying to figure out what to do right now.

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I think its is pretty well defined as is, albeit very broad; "any device that can render content from the internet". The competition between the devices in the market is obviously offset by the amount of content it supports followed by any distinct features that it can provide.

The PS3 probably couldn't be updated to be a "Google TV" device. It simply does not have the hardware inputs to support HDMI input which is the key differentiation between a Google TV device and an Android TV device. However, I think the cell processors included in the PS3 would be awesome for such a platform. Even though it would face the same technical challenges that the x86 processors would in application compatibility with the existing app in the Android Market for the ARM tablets and phones.

6. ChrisG8

A broad category like that is similar to a product category lumping kites with airplanes, both are flying objects in the sky, not very meaningful in describing product attributes to consumers. I think we need a specific category for a device designed to access a large variety of internet audio and video content from hundreds of sources and sites just like a computer, not just the handful of popular internet streaming services like Roku offers.

I don't think the PS3 will be updated with Google TV and the lack of an HDMI input would exclude the merging of TV with internet in one nice guide and program listing. Personally, I don't care about that aspect of Google TV but it certainly has been a feature of Google TV being promoted anytime I see the product mentioned. The fact the PS3 could be updated for 3D makes me believe the processing power is sufficient to handle a PS3 specific Google TV version, and handle it well, but it wouldn't create any revenue stream to justify the expense and Sony has lost enough money on the PS3 already. Rumors early about the possibility didn't ever seem plausible but one can dream.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Speaking of dreams, I am actually hoping that one day Tivo will embrace Google TV and provide it as a feature in a future Tivo device. I realize we've already discussed the lack of probability of this, but still... as you said, "one can dream."

8. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

IMO it would be nice if Google TV came in two flavors.

1) The full Google TV that we know now with the HDMI overlays and interaction with Cable/satellite TV.

2) A Google TV "Light" version - without the HDMI overlays. This would be a less expensive alternative and a good choice for people that want to use GTV as an internet only device.

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

There are products that address those already: #1 would be Google TV and #2 is Android TV

10. ChrisG8

I have not actually seen an Android TV box in action. Are there versions running Android 3.1? If not are the existing versions upgradeable to later versions of Android? I haven't seen one advertised from a company with any credibility for me, meaning I don't think the things will work worth a hoot and the company offering the device can't offer any support, but I could be wrong. My feeling is that a basic standalone version of Google TV from a company I trust would be preferrable. We are concerned about Logitech not continuing to support the Revue, who makes and supports Android TV? I just took a break from this post to do a search and came up with Geniatech as one company offering Android TV and these products:

Android TV Nano (ATV300, small form factor)
    Android TV Basic (ATV1000)
    Android TV Plus (ATV2000, with HDTV tuner)
    Android TV Gold (ATV3000, with a hard drive bay)
    Android TV Premium (ATV4000, with both HDTV tuner and hard drive bay).

I don't know if some or all variations are vaporware at this point.

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Since Google removed Honeycomb from the Android source tree, I doubt that you'll see an Android TV device using it. If you heard any of the Google+ Hangouts with the various project managers, you'll probably come to the understanding that Honeycomb will die as a "closed" source operating system.

This is probably the only Android TV device that I would consider. I have a few A.C. Ryan products before and they stand behind their products.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  12. sarreq

sarreq Member

o0
    they did... it's called "WebTV"

seriously though, if they do make a new set top device, they'll probably wait till Windows 8 is going strong

13. ChrisG8

The Revue is my first Android device and I am a not well informed about anything Android. I have an HP TouchPad and might install Android on it if I reach a comfort level with that hack and if I do, I will definitely need to get deeper into Android. The A.C. Ryan Smart Android Media Hub looks cool but I couldn't find much information beyond the review you posted. Unless something really catches on and becomes a must have product, I am definitely just sticking with Google TV as my preferred internet TV access.