Quantcast

Apple TV Or Google TV? FixYa Report Reveals Top Consumer Issues With WebTV s

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Mar 21, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Apple TV or Google TV? New Report from FixYa Reveals Top Consumer Issues With The Most Popular Web TV Systems (click for full article)

"FixYa's report finds consumers dissatisfied with web TV box-top products; Google TV and Apple TV register major issues, with Boxee and Roku garnering higher praise

San Mateo, CA (PRWEB) March 21, 2012

Today FixYa, the leading product Q&A destination on the web, announces the first-ever report comparing consumer issues across all the most popular web TV systems including Apple TV, Google TV, Boxee and Roku. With Internet-connected TV poised to reach 500 million devices by 2015, the market is on the verge of exploding in scale. FixYa's latest Web TV Report, released today, looks at market-leading products and pits them head-to-head, basing its findings on thousands of troubleshooting requests."

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  2. CatfishRivers

Hmmm. They forgot to mention Shockwave crashes for Google TV -:) I read a lot of complaints about that on the forums - but actually for me personally I don't experience the Shockwave crashes very often.

3. CatfishRivers

Here's The #1 Complaint About Google TV (click for full article)

"Google TV customers seem to have one main complaint: too much content they want is not available.

This shows how important it is for Google to keep working with content providers to try and make premium shows available. It also suggests why Google was reportedly so interested in buying Hulu last year, even though the companies couldn't reach terms.

The stat comes from FixYa, a tech troubleshooting Web site that claims more than 20 million registered users. FixYa looked at all the questions they got about various WebTV products and broke them down by category.

They found that 55% of the complaints about Google TV related to blocked content."

4. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

I'm a little confused by the reports of shockwave crashes. Don't misunderstand, early on it was Shockwave Hell. I'm talking about the late Dec early Jan time frame. But I haven't experienced a shockwave crash since that time period, except for ESPN 3, where I expect it. ESPN 3 is not the darling of Advertisers as one would expect. So they have Ads that repeat to the point of nausea. I've finally abandoned Friday Night Fights. I can't take the same commercials that repeat over and over again, loud in volume compared to the program volume, and cause the only consistent Shockwave crashes I've experienced on the Logitech Revue.

We finally find a media outlet that doesn't block us, but they annihilate us with their commercials.

But on many of the Tennis programs I don't have the same problem. Go Figgur!!!

Carl

5. CatfishRivers

Carl I'm also surprised by all the complaints about the Shockwave crash issues. I actually found my Revue to be more stable after the 3.1 update. However going by all the posts in the Logitech thread (see link below) about Flash issues - there are apparently a large group of users who find the Revue "barely usable" after the 3.1 update:

Official - Flash sites/channels/apps having troubl... - Logitech Forums

6. CatfishRivers

Here's a link to the original FixYa WebTV research article:

Web TV - FixYa Report

Actually I disagree to an extent on what the FixYa article says.

I feel that at the original 'expensive' prices (that GTV devices had at the beginning) - the argument could indeed of been made that GTV hardware was a bad value (especially compared to the much lower priced Apple TV & Roku).

However once Sony and Logitech slashed prices far enough GTV became a good value (even with the networks/Hulu blocking it) - it still does so much more than an Apple TV or Roku. So $99 was the sweet spot for a GTV box.

However at the lower prices GTV is having trouble generating much support from the hardware manufacturers. Apple TV & Roku are lowballing GTV hardware. This is what I wrote earlier today (see below) in the thread about Google partnering with Asus to produce a tablet that will 'undercut' the Amazon Kindle. (Here's my suggestion to get GTV 'rolling' -:) :

-----------------------------------

----> "I had read that Google will partly subsidize the cost of the tablet - so that they can sell it cheap to lowball the Kindle. It makes sense because Google can make the money back in selling content and ads.

I feel they should do the exact same thing for a GTV Box. Apple & Roku are 'lowballing' GTV in terms of price - and while GTV is nice - the first round of hardware proved that consumers weren't willing to pay "high-end" price for it.

One of the major problems thus far with GTV is lack of hardware support. We saw that at reasonable prices (after Sony & Logitech drastically slashed the GTV prices) that sales picked up nicely. Unfortunately at these low prices it's currently not very appealing to hardware manufacturers.

Time for Google to open up the wallet. Either subsidize the GTV hardware or improve GTV by paying Hulu & the networks. If their were more features (content) than people would consider paying a premium over Apple/Roku IMO."

7. thekylesouza

thekylesouza New Member

Content providers don't want to encourage cord-cutting. Things like Roku are much simpler than Google TV and are not consider a threat to the established revenue streams, since they are "companion devices" not true TV OSs.

8. Carlszone

Geeze

I had no idea. I actually stopped watching that group after calling Logitech for a simple Netflix fix during my first months subscription. Netflix eventually fixed the problem, but Logitech acted like they were the ones. But everything the CSRs advised was exactly the opposite of what Netflix wanted me to do as far as the App was concerned. They didn't ask me to do a factory reset, the most refreshing developement I'd experienced as yet on my unit. It seemed everyone was into this factory reset back then. I despaired of ever being able to have just bookmarks that wouldn't be killed by some minor glitch that Logitech would deem unimportant in the grander scheme of fixing some minor problem w/the various preinstalled Apps. Man, if I'd listened to them I would have been performing a factory reset for every App I downloaded that failed to perform in some way.

I hate Logitech!

Sorry, I know a lot of you guys hold them in high esteem.

Carl

9. herblair

herblair New Member

Can Google Fiber crack cable's stronghold in KC?
    BY SCOTT CANON
    The Kansas City Star

"War is afoot.

(Spoiler: Consumers probably win.)

Google Inc. and its Google Fiber subsidiary increasingly appear ready to launch a campaign to occupy turf in the Kansas City pay TV market. The search titan enters the battle well-armed with cash and the cachet of mostly admired company.

Time Warner Cable, by comparison, is old-guard, entrenched. It's hardly universally loved by the local populace.

Yet Time Warner has done for decades what Google has yet to do at all: pump hundreds of TV channels around the clock to hundreds of thousands of homes.

So far, Google says, it has deployed upward of 100 people to begin building its network - anchored by a promise of Internet speeds 100 times faster than the national broadband average." ..........

""As far as Google, it's all speculation at this point," said Time Warner spokeswoman Marci Pelzer. "This is a product that doesn't exist on a network that doesn't exist.

"In one way, Google is no different than AT&T, Dish or DirecTV, or any of our other competitors," she said. "We hope the community and our potential customers will see the investment we've already made.".........

"Google would enter the market with some built-in advantages. It's building from scratch, so it won't have to engineer around an aging infrastructure. Add to that the low regard consumers have for the cable industry. Google, meantime, sits perched atop the rankings in its own mostly loved Internet search industry.

"Google is a great company and they have a lot of money," said Johnson, the SureWest executive. "Over the long run, they're going to figure it out and be a formidable competitor. We have to see how it unfolds."

More context and comments at the original article here:

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/03/19/3501821/can-google-fiber-crack-cables.html

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2012
  10. Pailhead

Pailhead New Member

I think the Shockwave crashes on the Revue are mostly site specific. Outside of my Game Center Live subscription through NHL.com, I may get a crash every once in a great while...certainly nothing to get worked up about if that was it. However, I'm lucking to get any less than five crashes (sometimes as much as 10+) over the course of three hours while trying to watch a hockey game on NHL.com.

Whether it's a major problem or not for an individual user probably depends on what sites they frequent.

11. Carlszone

Hi

I'm not so sure it is either site related (except of course for ESPN 3) or even caused by low Broadband speed as I once believed. I've been reading a few articles that try and explain Shockwave vulnerabilities in Google Chrome. One recommendation was to look for two versions of the Adobe Flash Plugin. Sort of like the problems we are having with updating certain Apps. Certain versions conflict with the update. The only way to get a new update to install is to either uninstall or click on 'Uninstall Updates.' Is it too far a stretch to consider the last update might cause similar problems for some users w/Flash???

I'm thinking that users that have had their units the longest may be experiencing the same issue as some PC/Laptop users. In Chrome they have the option of deleting individual programs. So if they find they have two conflicting versions of Adobe Flash, they can easily solve the Flash problems. We don't have that option. But we can Force stop or Delete Updates. This may allow the Flash player to correctly update upon Restart.

We are all using the same system. If all things being equal, ie., speed, content compatibility, etc... Either all users should have the same issue or there is a specific cause related to the versions of the Adobe Flash Plugin individual units are running. A more likely scenario.

Just speculating here...

Carl

12. iomatic

iomatic New Member

Not sure why this is such a mutually exclusive proposition. I would prefer one input, or a reduction thereof, but GTV/cable/Apple TV/XBox Live covers almost everything.

When tv came out, films continue to be shown. A 50-ft. parabolic screen with 11:4 sound trumps your theater system any day.