Quantcast

Apple Just Announced A New Apple TV

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Mar 7, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Apple Just Announced A New Apple TV! (click for full article)

"Tim Cook is on stage at the iPad event and just announced that Apple will be releasing an updated Apple TV box on March 16.
    It boasts a new streamlined user interface and support for super-sharp 1080p videos.

You'll be able to rent TV shows the day after they air.

It will also support Photo Stream, meaning your photos will instantly sync via iCloud to be viewed at home on your television.

Still no mention of any apps coming to the Apple TV, however.

If you want one, it'll run you $99."

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  2. CatfishRivers

Great Apple announces their new Apple TV on the same day that Google announces they want to dump the Motorola set-top business. IMO this is not good news for GTV.

Where is the GTV hardware at ???? All of the current GTV products are discontinued and it's very hard to find any for sale any more. In the meantime when will the new hardware come out??? The summer was mentioned for some GTV devices at CES - but that's still months away.

In the meantime Apple TV will steal the limelight and sell at least a million units before summer. Poor planning by Google with this IMO.

3. halox

halox New Member

Yeah. It's sad. Apple TV still doesn't do anything near what Google TV does. But it's going to kill it in sales. Why? Because Google TV didn't launch anywhere near $99 bucks. Logitech eventually got there, but only by declaring themselves failures. Doesn't give the consumer much confidence in the product. Hopefully, the VIZIO Google TV box will make an impact at $99 ... whenever it comes out (to your point, Catfish).

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Are there any sales figures for Apple TV, Google TV, Roku, etc. to better understand how the market is developing? I know nobody using Apple TV, my son and I use Google TV, I sure don't see these products in widespread use anywhere I go.

5. CatfishRivers

Yes. According to GigaOm (which is a respected source) - there have been less than 1 million GTV devices sold. There have been 4.2 million Apple TV boxes sold, and 2.5 million Roku boxes sold.

Scoop: Less than 1M Google TV devices in use — Online Video News

6. CatfishRivers

These are my reasons why I feel Google needs to manufacture it's own GTV box to compete with Apple TV and Roku:

1) Apple can subsidize the cost of Apple TV hardware because of the large amount of content they sell. A third party manufacturer of a GTV box doesn't have this luxury. So right away this puts a GTV manufacturer at a big competitive disadvantage to Apple. At $99 a pop - Apple can squeeze other manufacturers with that lowball price.

Google makes money by selling ads. So the more GTV boxes that are in use the more money Google makes - thus IMO it would make sense for Google to manufacture their own box and partly subsidize the cost (in order to compete with Apple TV & Roku).

2) The Roku hardware is less expensive than GTV hardware. Roku does not have HDMI overlays and it doesn't require a full qwerty keyboard on their controller. Once again this puts third party GTV manufacturers at a competitive disadvantage. The first round of GTV hardware proved that "high-end" priced GTV hardware sold dismally - so in order to compete with Apple TV & Roku - GTV needs a $99 box.

However a third party GTV manufacturer is at a competitive disadvantage in trying to match the $99 (or less) prices offered by Roku and Apple TV.

7. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

True. But is Google not making the same mistakes as MSN. Every article you post seems like I'm back in 2003, when Webtv ads started appearing. The flaw is not in the launching of Logitech Revue, it is in the strategic planning. There seems to be a disconnect between the orig developers of this device and the sales department. Can any device survive in a market climate that insists on instant failure or success based on launch predictions.

If so, Apple has already won.

Carl