Quantcast

Apparently Google Has Essentially 'Blocked' my Revue From The Google Play Store?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, May 23, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hi all. I currently have a rather unique and frustrating situation with my Logitech Revue.

First a bit of background information. As many of you might already know - my Revue has a corrupt firmware issue and is stuck on the 3.1 OS update. Thus I have been using the web version of the Google Play Store to download and update apps (because the new GTV Play Store app requires the 3.2 update or it won't work).

Recently when on the Google Play Store web site with my Revue all of my apps (both installed and previously installed) are showing up as incompatible with my Revue. Thus I'm not able to update or download apps. (My apps also stopped automatically updating).

When I click to update an app it says "obtaining permissions" and the circle just spins around continuously. Also when trying to update or install an app it says "incompatible" with my Revue. It says to try downloading on a different device. I click to show my devices and see Logitech Revue listed. Then I move the cursor over Logitech Revue I get the following pop-up message:

"You Have Not Opened The Google Play Store App Recently On This Device. Please Open It And Try Again."

Well unfortunately this is a Catch-22 situation because I cannot open the Google Play Store app on my Revue (because it's stuck on the 3.1 update).

I've tried signing-in & out of my Google account numerous times, rebooting and factory resets but nothing fixes this recent problem with Google Play Store.

I'm not 100% certain but IMO this seems to be a new "security-feature" that Google has recently implemented. (That being if you don't use the Google Play Store app for a long time they block web access of the Play Store). If so Google should know better than this - because it was made publicly known that some Revue users are unable to update (to newer OS) because of firmware issues (see link below)

Some Logitech Revue Google TV boxes shipped with 'corrupted firmware' | The Verge

Other possibilities 'might' be a syncing issue on Google's end or my Revue hardware is failing?

Any suggestions?

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  2. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

LOL!Catfish,just get you a Sony GS7 while they are marked down 30 dollars on the Sony site.Amazon.con has them for $166 with free shipping.You have had more patience than I would have had with your Revue.Mine (GS7)has been great and it seems the most stable OS of them all.Or you could wait for the Sony GS8!That's the one I'm wanting to see the specs for!

• Like Like x 2
  3. CatfishRivers

Quite frankly I'm not convinced current GTV devices are really that great - that's why I'm continuing to use my Logitech Revue until I see something better come along (or GTV makes more software improvements). Maybe after the Jellybean update I'll take the plunge. I mostly use my Revue for the Chrome browser and that still works pretty good. I figure the longer I hold onto my Revue - the better the new device (whatever it is) will be. Processors are always getting faster, RAM getting cheaper, more software improvements, etc. So I'm in no rush to run out and buy something new right away.

4. CatfishRivers

OK something has really gone haywire -:)

I just went to the Google Play Store web site with my Revue and it says I have no apps at all currently installed on my Revue. This is what it says:

"There aren't any apps associated with this account installed on this device."

However all of the apps in my library that I previously had downloaded are showing up in the Play Store library section.

And now all the GTV apps are showing as "compatible".

However when I try to download some GTV apps nothing happens. And my internet provider is Comcast by ethernet. Hmmm.....

Now I'm kind of thinking this is a bug on Google's end involving the syncing of device with account. Other possibilities could be Comcast blocking a port that Google Play uses, or hardware failure.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 2 apps I just tried to install were ES File Explorer and YouTube for GTV. (My Revue currently has the very first version of the GTV YouTube app - which is what happens after I factory reset). I just looked on the Google Play Store web site and now it shows ES File Explorer and YouTube as the 2 apps currently installed on my Revue. However they never actually installed. No ES File Explorer app is actually on my Revue - and the YouTube app actually on my Revue is still the very first version 1.1 (the current version on Google Play is 1.7).

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

From a properly working Logitech Revue to the Sony NSZ-GS7 is only a small upgrade in my opinion, I have both models connected and working properly. I would think from a broken Logitech Revue, like yours, always requiring tinkering around with, to a Sony NSZ-GS7 would be a huge upgrade. I just like to use these things, I would hate having to spend time trying to get one running acceptably. I would probably take that thing out on the driveway and smash it to bits with a sledge hammer.

I won't replace the first gen models I do use with second gen models, the improvement just doesn't justify that to me so I understand waiting for the third gen but since you don't have one you can use without a lot of trouble, I think you should grab a new model now. Amazon has customer returns of the Vizio model that fluctuate between $55 and $60, pretty cheap. I use a customer return Sony NSZ-GT1, these boxes get returned because they are too difficult for some people to use, not because they are defective.

• Like Like x 2
  6. CatfishRivers

Chris if I used apps and depended on apps a lot I would probably buy a Sony NSZ-GS7 right now. Really nowadays I'm 100% in the Chrome browser - which still works good on my Revue.

Plus I still have the first versions of Pandora and Youtube apps on my Revue. For me that's plenty good enough. Of course one day I'll eventually move on from the Revue - I will read all the reviews after the Jellybean update comes out. Also I expect some new GTV hardware will come out by the end of the year.

If I can hang on to my Revue until the end of the year I'll be one happy camper. That would make 3 years use out of it.

7. Greenenergyassessors

Greenenergyassessors New Member

I have longed for this day. Today I can say that everyone is human. Catfish Rivers who is 'Master of all Knowledge' has asked a question. I haven't a clue on the bloody answer as I've drunk too much alcohol.
    Good luck mate on sorting it out. I'm having another drink!

• Like Like x 2
  8. dproff

dproff New Member

It's time we fixed this for good. If you email me your address, I will personally pay to have you trash your current Revue. $100 must be plenty enough to replace it with another Revue. This will be a small price for all that you have given us in devotion over the last couple of years.

• Like Like x 4
  9. CatfishRivers

LOL Thanks for the offer and kind words. Not sure if you're serious but I could never except an offer like that.

All is well as long as Chrome stilll works on my Revue - except I'm really ticked now about Gmail not loading on GTV. The new Gmail issue just started today and apparently involves all GTV devices. I can live without apps - but I need my standard version of Gmail. The Gmail issue is a Google issue - so hopefully it gets fixed soon.

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...-getting-standard-gmail-version-load-gtv.html

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  10. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi Catfish

I came across a similar complaint on the Web-Nuts forum. I also made the mistake of clicking on the basic option for Outlook mail. I was stuck on the mobile site until I cleared cache, history & cookies. I would try the cookies first, then cache and if needed (unlikely) history. The person who posted the complaint hasn't posted back so I'm thinking it worked.

Carl

11. CatfishRivers

Carl are you talking about my Google Play Store issue or the Gmail issue? The standard Gmail version appears to be down now for all GTV users. This current Gmail problem that started a few days ago has nothing to do with clearing cache, cookies, etc. IMO It's a Gmail issue related to the new Gmail update rolling out over the next few weeks. It appears to be incompatible with the GTV Chrome browser.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  12. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Thanks, I stand corrected.