Quantcast

Apparently Apple Complained To Symbaloo About 1 Of My Webmixes

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Aug 7, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hi All. One of my popular webmixes was removed from Symbaloo this morning by their administrator.

This was the webmix called "GTV Adult" - which contained legal adult erotic tiles (links). It's a shame because I had it clearly marked as adults only - and I think adults should have the freedom to decide if they want to watch it without being censored. Nobody was forcing anyone to watch it. It had over 200 subscribers in a short time - and IMO it would of been a boost to the GTV platform.

I've seen many webmixes on Symbaloo with adult content that remain up. According to the email I got today from Symbaloo - Apple appears to have had something to do with it getting taken down. Hmmm worried about the competition??? This is the email I received this morning from Symbaloo:

"Dear Symbaloo user,

Referring to article 6.2 (e) of our terms of agreement and our agreement with Apple we decided to
    unshare your webmix "GTV xxx - Adults only".

Please do not share it again. :)

Kind regards,
    --
    Pieter Vonk|Team Symbaloo"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the Symbaloo 6.2 (e) section of the terms of agreement:

" is (sexually) intimidating, ethically irresponsible, including but not confined to material which is considered offensive to the decency of minors, or contains a violation of the right to private life and/or human dignity as well as material which encourages an expression to be used in discriminatory manner."

Whatever.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  2. jTV

jTV New Member

I'm with you Cat!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I have your signature Symbaloo Google TV webmix link bookmarked, was that adult webmix included with that? I haven't gotten close to following all of the links you provide but I sure appreciate all you have done to make that available.

4. CatfishRivers

Yes it was included with my other GTV webmixes. When you click the link in my sig that takes you to my first main GTV webmix. Then if you click on the right side (from that main page) where it says "created by Wondermint2" - you will see the complete list of my other GTV webmixes. I had to do it that way because there is a limit to the number of tiles on each webmix. There are currently 20 GTV webmixes.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  5. chopper

chopper Active Member

Symballo started out as a place for teachers and kids to learn online. What did you expect would happen? If a kid accidentally found that web mix or was lead there by you a parent could have noticed and requested the take down too.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  6. CatfishRivers

I thought it would be allowed to stay up like the numerous other Adult webmixes on Symbaloo that are allowed to stay up. Plus it had already been allowed up for several months before it was taken down - which leads me to believe the "real reason" it was taken down was due to politics and some kind of complaint made to the administrator.

It's not like my site was taken down immediately - and there are others still up with adult content.

Plus I had it clearly marked as nobody under the age of 18 allowed. My point is that if they want to take my Adult webmix down - then in all fairness they should take down ALL of the adult webmixes. But they don't. So obviously IMO some kind of discrimination is happening here. They mentioned something about Apple in their email to me - so I think that had something to do with it. It was marked as a Google TV webmix. That's just my opinion of it.

7. chopper

chopper Active Member

Well I have a template made for a web site which displays similar to Symbaloo that might be for sale if someone offers me the right kind of money. Anyone interested can PM me if they would like to get out from under the terms of another provider such as Symbaloo. It can be advertising free and perhaps be baked into an App. Google or Apple might want 1st crack at this before someone else with foresight snaps it up. It sure would be cool to see my creation baked into GTV as I believe it would be an improvement on the current GTV bookmarks within chrome.

8. hcupro

hcupro New Member

Most people don't realize that archive.org can also display web pages (hint), for free hosting. I keep my phone apps there for distribution; and all sorts of things. It's an open library, is the way I look at it.

9. donc13

donc13 Member

Unfortunately, in this day and age, an "adults only" label makes a site, a "must see" for teenagers.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 4

10. drhill

drhill Member

Who would expect a parent do their job and take care of their own kids for a change? No lets just pretend we live in candy land and annoy people who don't live their life by the guidebook.

11. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

"Fairness" isn't a corporate concept when it costs time and money to implement. Most likely they got a complaint, so they acted on it. They gave you a reason why they took it down, but really ... who cares ... unless you were paying them $$$ to host your links, they don't owe you anything. I don't think their mention of their agreement with Apple demonstrates that Apple was the one who complained.

12. CatfishRivers

This thread was dead a long time ago - why was it resurrected now? -;)

I know that "adult entertainment" was very popular on Boxee Box. And according to the subscription numbers my Symbaloo GTV adult web mix was very popular. IMO it would help boost the popularity of GTV - which right about now needs all the help it can get.

As I mentioned the adult webmix was clearly marked for adults only. So take that down and anyone can easily find free adult content on the web anyway. It's not like taking that down is going to stop someone from finding what they want. One person complains - and that ruins it for all the others that like it? Said complainer should just not utilize a web-mix if it bothers them.

I apologize if I offended anyone by adding that web mix. My intent was that people (adults) be given 'the freedom of choice' to use it if they want. I'm not ready to admit it was 'evil' or a 'mistake' to add that webmix to GTV. But time for this thread to die........

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  13. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

There's tons of ways to publish a list of links, including just PM'ing them to anyone who asks you. No need to let Symbaloo stand in your way.

14. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

Was there an appearance by an Apple executive in one of those videos :D