Quantcast

App Wishlist

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by rpcollins, Dec 28, 2010.

1. rpcollins

rpcollins New Member

I have a bunch of ideas for apps, that i hope they bring out. the great part about all of this is that google already does alot of the stuff i like, i just need them to optimize it for Google TV and/or make it an app. For example, my (growing) wishlist includes:

1. Google Talk
    2. Gmail
    3. Facebook
    4. Sports apps (and really an app) that are optimized for dual viewing. For example, stats, fantasy football, other things, that know the bottom right corner is for the PIP TV.
    5. Google Reader (or any RSS Feed App)
    6. Weather, as part of the basic desktop (maybe next to the time at the top) that can be clicked for in depth info.
    7. Picasa App (not optimized website) allowing me to view my linked gallerys also.

so far i am pleased, but i think these things would really make it better

2. srheug

srheug New Member

Picasa is already on the Revue. Check out the "Gallery" under apps.

3. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

I would love to see a Grooveshark app. Onlive would be really nice too if you could use a console controller like PS3 or XBox 360

• Like Like x 2
  4. Netastophales

Netastophales New Member

The abillity for it to recognize and play ISO files off a network share or even just a USB device

5. rpcollins

rpcollins New Member

Better IPod recognition and playback.

6. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Enough apps to replace my need to fire up my note/net book all the time! :p

7. srramalot

srramalot New Member

ESPN Score Center (with popups for score changes if youre not watching the game, or if you have it small on duel view)
    VLC
    Winamp (with popups for new song names)
    Facebook (with push notifications)
    GTalk (with popups when you get new messages)
    Gmail app (with push and popups when you get a message)
    Widgets would be awesome, maybe have it like a dashboard in Mac OS
    File manager L(like Astro on Android phones)
    A app that would suggest shows to me based on what I watch, with an option to automatically DVR it (like we see you like history, why not try Anchient Aliens, or something like that)
    A app or feature that would automatically notify you that a show is on (say you like Family Guy have it set, and when ever it's on, have a popup come up). Then all you would need to do is click it and it would bring you to the channel. - I'm not sure if thats possible or not though.

I'm sure if this takes off you'll see some crazy crap in the Android Market.

8. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

Wow, that's not asking for much, now is it??
    Maybe we can make it take the dog out as well..
    Seriously though, just a small app store to start would be nice.[​IMG]

9. alphawave7

What's remarkable..those are all perfectly realistic, and most likely will happen in 2011! :D

10. srramalot

srramalot New Member

What's asking too much? Do you have an Android phone? I have everything I just mentioned exept the last two, and I think if I looked around hard enough, I can find something close. I have very high expectations for Google TV. The support/apps needs to be better then the phones, and I'll tell you why. They (Google) put themselves in a market where people have been using perfectly fine products for a number of years now. You cable box doesn't reboot out of no where, it doesn't turn off on its own, and you most definitely do not need to do battery pulls or anything of the sort. The Android phones are plauged with all kinds of problems, but people deal with it because they say "eh its my phone, smart phones suck for the most part (aside from iphones)". You cant have force closes on a TV. The first time that happens, theyre going to throw that box right out the window and go back to standard cable (or whatever else they had).

The first reviews were really bad, and thats not good, because the general public is dumb, they hear something and thats it, its very hard to change their minds. Google needs to standardize the OS and be able to push updates and hot fixes quickly. Waiting for hardware companies to push updates has been proven to be horrible. If you want this OS to be taken seriously, they updates need to come A LOT, and I mean A LOT faster then the phones. When Apple finds a problem with the OS, BOOM update, right away. When Android phone users find a problem, MAYBE it gets fixed 6 - 8 months later...not good. I am not going to wait 6 - 8 months to get functionality that I can have with older hardware and/or another Google TV product.

This idea of making your TV your computer screen has been around for a long time. Intergrating cable into the mix has been tried before too. Google has a one up because of the size of the company, and who they have backing them right now(Sony, Logitech and the others). If they dont fix these basic issues, quickly, this whole thing will wind up like the old internet TV idea years ago. You only have one shot at a first impression. If you blow peoples minds, theyll go for it. If you sell something that doesnt work, rest assure its going to fail, fast.

11. HeathNutso

HeathNutso New Member

My biggest wish is an app to allow programming the IR blaster to be used for any receiver one wants.

I use a C-Band receiver for much of my TV and that ability would ideal.

12. neo_mobile

neo_mobile New Member

Guys,

Instead of building apps let they allow the browser to function fully and install apps as it were a regular pc. For now I need my windows media player or real player to work and all access to all websites as a regular pc.

I was hoping that this would replace firing my laptop up and it has a long way to go.

13. eball218

eball218 New Member

There are alot of apps i would like to see for the Google TV. but one that i think would be interesting and get alot of positive feedback and reviews is Google TV intergration. One key feature i am thinking about is a way to display when a call is coming in on your google number. Like what Time Warner Cable has done with their phone and tv.

Like i said in other posts i cant wait for the future! happy posting to everyone.

14. bfready

bfready New Member

I agree, for the most part, with what your saying neo_mobile; however, if they just improve the web browser so that it is comparable to a regular PC, then why not get a regular PC? I think the GTV's success will count on its app library. That's a big reason why Palm, IPhone, Nintendo, Sony Playstation, etc. became so successful (their software library). I feel it will be the same with GoogleTV.

I would like to see:

Engadget app, Gizmodo app, Googletvforum app and any other popular tech blog or forum.
    Would also like to see some sort of FB/Twitter platform like Tweetdeck.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  15. ColdAssassin

ColdAssassin New Member

I'm surprised no one has said this yet but I will go ahead and add it to the list:

1. Remote Desktop
    2. VNC

16. Megtv

Megtv New Member

I would love to see an interactive program guide. I don't have Direct TV but I sure would like to be able to pull up a TV Guide and scroll through at my convenience.

17. Megtv

Megtv New Member

Wow! Is this the magic genie Google TV forum. I just posted this yesterday that I wanted a program guide and now it is there... last time I checked it told me it was not available...

So my next wish is that we could view network videos of TV shows just like on our computers (like my All My Children on ABC or HULU shows, ect...)

18. alphawave7

That one might take a bit longer! LOL!

19. b3rusty

b3rusty New Member

a live radio app or at least win media player support so i can get the live radio from my fav station on their site,,, and no the tune in app does not do live radio, only pod casts if u will

second, support for the comcast xfinity player on their site.

GTV was awesome the first couple weeks is was on the market, but now i am losing hope, {yawn}

sent from my 46`er

20. Luca

Luca New Member

And add Google Earth. Oh, and some app (or plugin?) to read .pdf files via web.