Quantcast

Anyone with the update, does ESPN3.com (watchespn.com) work??

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by zurcaled11, Nov 2, 2011.

1. zurcaled11

zurcaled11 New Member

Anyone with the update, does ESPN3.com (watchespn.com) work?? This would be the biggest plus for me. I'm still waiting for mine here in Dallas.

2. XYinSD

XYinSD New Member

I would really love to know also as this was a major bonus. I could watch international soccer and other sports around the world.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I don't have the Sony update but I have read elsewhere from others that have the update - that ESPN3 works - however it requires that you authenticate (sign in) to show that you have a cable TV subscription. The new update comes with Flash 10.2 so technically it will be able to work now.

4. krisguy

krisguy New Member

Shouldn't we be able to update to Flash 11 from the market, or am I asking too much?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

5. frmorrison

frmorrison New Member

You cannot update to Flash 11, the update on the Market is for ARM devices (like phones) and the GTV is x86 device.
    ESPN3 can work if you have a cable subscription, or know someone that does ;).

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Additionally, Flash is baked and signed into the Google TV OS and can't be replaced by market installs. Updates for the Flash component of Google TV devices will have to be facilitated via OS updates.

7. drdigital1

drdigital1 New Member

The root of the question is as follows (I am sure of this because it happened to me too): Revue/GTV used to work with ESPN3. A few months ago, ESPN3.com updated their flash software and Revue/GTV stopped working. Therefore the question: is HC 3.1 compatible with the flash software used by ESPN3?

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yes, and this has been answered in more than a handful of threads.

9. jetmdt

jetmdt Member

They answered your question... The new HC 3.1 includes Flash 10.2 which is also the mininum Flash required by ESPN to view ESPN3.

I enjoy watching this too! Very happy that it's back and available to us.

10. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

ESPN3 didn't always require a cable or satellite subscription to work. The other WatchESPN channels did which are probably the best channels but I have watched ESPN3 using Google TV without subscribing to ESPN. Here is the link with an explanation of WatchESPN.

Information About WatchESPN

I don't have the update since I only have the Revue but I wouldn't think that ESPN3 requires a paid cable or satellite subscription.

11. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Thanks for clarifying that Chris. Hopefully someone with the update will post more about how well it's working with GTV.

12. arrowrand

arrowrand New Member

I have been using ESPN3 for as long as it has existed and it has always required a subscription.

In most cases that can be a TV subscription or an Internet subscription. If your provider offers ESPN3 with your Internet access, you aren't required to log in as long as you are on your provider's network.

If you are outside of your provider's network you can log in to view content, assuming you have gone through the steps of linking ESPN3 to your espn.com account.

13. ChrisG8

I think we are saying the same thing. All I stated was that I have watched ESPN3 without a cable or satellite subscription and I believe that won't change, once we get an updated version of Adobe Flash that works with the current ESPN3, all users with an internet service provider shown in the link I provided above will be able to watch ESPN3.

14. zen2go

zen2go New Member

I am watching Bilbao vs Barcelona on ESPN3 as I type this. I don't have any cable or satellite service, but I do have an Internet subscription with AT&T. There was no login or confirmation required. My system is a Sony GTV, running v3.1 firmware.

15. forzaps

forzaps New Member

Just got the 3.1 update pushed down an hour ago. Watching Inter Vs Fiorentina on watchespn.com on my revue as I type this (My provider is Comcast). The video took a couple of minutes to load (which is annoying) but once loaded video quality is great (I've had 5 bars throughout). Almost as good as an HD station on cable, but the motion isn't as smooth, beats watching the game on FSC in SD any day.

16. Bob1320

Bob1320 New Member

You can watch pre-recorded videos on ESPN3, but you cannot watch a live stream. I have a Sony Google TV, a subscription to Xfinity (Comcast) high speed internet and Xfinity cable tv. ESPN3 live stream is powered by Xfinity, but I cannot watch any live stream. I can't even watch local free TV. However, on my PC I can watch everything even using Google Chrome. I think if Google can't get this stuff worked out there should be a class action lawsuit against Google and Sony. Google TV is a waste.

17. BLA

BLA New Member

ESPN3 is a crock, not allowing entire markets to view their programming. They are to caught up in legalities and nonsense, they forget who ultimately pays every cent of their salaries and profits.

18. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

19. ChrisG8

The last event I loaded using Google TV on ESPN3 a few days ago was the Duke vs. NC State basketball game live, it played great. I have XFinity cable internet and no cable subscription in Little Rock. As far as I know I can watch everything from ESPN3 on either my laptop or Google TV. The other watchespn channels are not available without a cable subscription and I can't watch those.

20. jetmdt

jetmdt Member

If you are trying to watch a live broadcast it helps to use a task killer and then view. I have an android phone and never use a task killer on it; but, with Google TV it seems to help with that "Ah Snap" crap. I'm a Murray State fan and have watched many Murray games on ESPN 3.