Quantcast

Anyone want to write a device driver for the Sony google remote, for PC?

Discussion in 'Google TV Hacking Discussion' started by unvaluablespace, Nov 19, 2013.

1. unvaluablespace

unvaluablespace New Member

I got a hold of this remote off ebay. I know its not designed for Windows, but its honestly the best all in one remote I've found. I don't have any experience myself, but figured this would be a good a place as any to see if anyone shares a similar interest in this remote. I want to make this device work in Windows. I have an HTPC setup, with my PC hooked up to my television. I am trying to create a living room environment and this remote is perfect for my needs. With it, one could practically get rid of keyboard and mouse for most usage. I have googled and researched for months, and found some info on this device, but cant find any drivers anywhere.

The NSG-MR7U actually works pretty well on its own in Windows. Without any additional drivers, the keyboard side of the remote works perfect. Windows also sees the microphone and and basic navigation functions on the remote side (arrows, media keys, etc.), as well as the volume keys. The search button on the keyboard side actually acts as a windows key (great for windows 8). Using a program called Eventghost, Any buttons that don't work on their own, can actually be customized and assigned to do almost anything I want them too (Can use the colored buttons as custom program launchers (to launch Steam, XBMC, etc). I even have the power button to shutdown or just put the PC to sleep.

The two major issues (and arguably the most important) are that the touchpad does not respond at all, as it lacks the proper driver. I'm pretty sure the device doesn't have proper wake driver either. I have tested on Mac, as well as Linux, and while the touchpad doesn't work on them either, almost all other functions work as well, just like on windows. The remote actually does wake up the sleeping OS's though, just not on Windows.

I would love it if someone could make a windows driver for the remote to allow the touchpad to work. I just need basic mouse function, but as I understand it, the touch remote actually does allow for multitouch as well, and this would be cool for some touch gestures like on laptop touchpads. Anyone willing to take up this task, or at least point me in the direction of a site that might, it would be much appreciated. :)

Also, I believe the NSG-MR5U is practically identical to the NSG-MR7U, except the MR7U has microhone functionality.

2. d33pr07

d33pr07 New Member

Really surprised no one has picked this up, the boxes themselves have been going for $50 on clearance and I just got one, but the remote seems to be where all the value is. Sony could probably re-release an updated version with windows drivers and sell them out, can't find a decent HTPC remote that comes close to the features and compactness of the NSG-MR5U/7U

Would've been content if I could just get plex working on the box but no luck there...