Quantcast

Anyone switched from Boxee Box to NSZ-GS7?

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by psychopomp1, Jul 31, 2012.

1. psychopomp1

psychopomp1 New Member

Hi
    I'm in UK and currently have a Boxee box...however the last firmware update back in March has basically killed the box with too many bugs (eg Boxee doesn't shut down by remote anymore) and Boxee are not fixing these bugs. So thinking of switching over to Google TV...has anyone else made such a move? My main use is for watching Netflix USA and streaming live premiership through the browser. A few other questions:

1) I'll probably have to buy the US version of the Sony box to get Netflix USA. If i do this, will i have to continue using a DNS service from unblock-us.com (like i'm currently doing on my Boxee)? I assume DNS settings can be entered on the NSZ-GS7?

2) Is the remote of the Sony box IR based, RF or bluetooth? If i go for the sony box, i will keep it well hidden so IR is basically useless. My boxee is RF based and i can keep it well hidden :)

Cheers
    Psycho :)

2. tinsnow

tinsnow Member

1) USA Box has netflix preinstalled. Yes, probably you still need to use the DNS blocking as netflix does not allow streaming outside of US. Not sure if you can enter DNS settings in the NSZ-GS7. Do you enter them in the browser?

2) Remote is bluetooth based and you can keep it hidden. the nsz-gs7 has an inbuilt IR emitter which can control other devices which are near that. I love that feature.

3. callanish

callanish Member

@tinsnow @psycho

It's just a matter of going into network settings and adding their dns server address ( unblock or unotelly) under DNS 1 and DNS 2 and you are good to go. I'm doing the reverse, watching Netflix u.k content in the u.s. Other than a few reboots of googletv now and then, it works just fine watching Netflix without any issues.

@psycho
    Yes, you'll continue to need the unblock service with googletv

Just wondering, you were talking about watching live premiership games through googletv. I use a slingbox for that, but the sling app basically sucks and freezes all the time and chrome doesn't support silverlight for sky go. Added to that most flash video websites on chrome crash or are overpowered by ads, so I'm just wondering what's your thoughts on how you are going to watch football games through googletv?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  4. psychopomp1

psychopomp1 New Member

Thanks guys. So it appears netflix wouldn't be a problem on the Sony box in UK (ie enter unblock-us.org DNS servers in network settings). Re: premiership live football, i use LiveOnlineFooty which uses flash and works quite well in the boxee browser. Callanish, you say the browser on sony box crashes. Perhaps you can go to liveonlinefooty and and see whether that creates any issues for the googletv browser?

5. callanish

callanish Member

Just went to liveonlinefooty.com and tried to register, I get 404 not found. When I try to sign up in another way, I get please contact admin@mediahosting.com for custom quote.

I don't think that's got anything to do with googletv, as I've verified that I get that on both pc and iPad. it's just probably a sign up procedure that I'm not aware of, but If I had to take an educated guess, I'd say there's no reason it shouldn't work. It doesn't look like the flash sites that I visited before which bogged down googletv's chrome. They just had tons of popup ads and googletv's browser only could filter out a few of them, but the flash video aspect of things would play without problems for like bbc and sky sports news web links that I came across, so I don't foresee you having any problems. I run bbc iplayer, itv catchup and tv live content perfectly fine through googletv's chrome, so it should do the job for what you need it for.