Quantcast

Anyone know of an App that can copy, move and delete the contents of a hard drive?

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by chopper, Aug 10, 2012.

1. chopper

chopper Active Member

I want to be able to do this with an attached hard drive on the Revue. If not is there a way to do this remotely from a PC via something like Logmein?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  2. Tye

Tye Member

I believe File Expert will do all this just fine from the GoogleTV itself. It's in the Play Store.
    ES File Explorer is another popular choice on Android but I haven't tried it on my GTV yet.

3. chopper

chopper Active Member

They see only the GTV internal storage not the connected hard drives on my revue!

4. Tye

Tye Member

Are you familiar with Linux file structures? I can see my external drive with no problem.

5. Tye

Tye Member

In File Expert go to: Phone Internal Storage/mnt/media/usb.whateveryourssayshere/
    That should get you to your external drive's root directory. It's kind of odd if you're not used to it and makes perfect sense if you know your way around Linux. I don't know how the built in File Explorer worked as it never worked for me.
    I hope that helps. :)

• Like Like x 4
  6. chopper

chopper Active Member

Thanks for jogging my memory. What are you using to search these folders? I used to be able to do this with an App called file explorer but then I updated the app and it stopped working. So far I am unable to find the old version of that app that worked for me or find a replacement that gets the job done. I have tried other file managers but they don't let me follow the path you suggest. Yes I have used Linux a little. Cheers

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  7. xantos

xantos New Member

Hi friend I use ES file explorer, it is great and I can also see a shared hard drive in my home network using ftp

8. chopper

chopper Active Member

I have tried es file folder and I am unable to find the usb hard drive I have attached to my revue. Still puzzled?

9. Tye

Tye Member

Still puzzled.
    What do you see in File Expert? I'm sure with everyone's collective brainpower we can get your path issue figured out. (Unfortunately, it might be a day or two before I can get back to this, myself)

10. chopper

chopper Active Member

Tye or anyone else if you have a working copy of File Expert can you send me the APK? The updates made this App unusable for me. But I used to be able to follow the path you have laid out!

Otherwise, in Es file explorer I see the following:

Local/sdcard and the folowing folders: alarms, android, android assistant, aquery, backups, DATA, DCIM, Download, FloatingImage, Mitty, Movies, Music, MxBrowser, Nook, Notifications, openfeint, picasa-tool, pictures, podcasts, recievedfiles,, and Ringtones

When I select change view the options are Local, Lan, FTP, Bluetooth, and Net

When I click on sdcard I see no option to switch to another folder or storage device.

When I click on search i do see an option for .fileexpert but that gets me knowwhere as well

I have also looked inside all the folders above to see if they would lead me down the correct path but all I am unable to get to is stuff on the built in sdcard.

Super puzzled now!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  11. Tye

Tye Member

I think I found the issue in ES File Explorer. Go to the options and find the "Up to root" setting. Turn on that setting. Then you can get to root to find root/mnt/. If you can get that let us know what the rest of the paths look like. I think it will still be similar to what I described in above post.

12. chopper

chopper Active Member

Thanks for your help but I still see nothing in .fileexplorer or elsewhere. Do you have an old copy of the other file explorer program I mentioned in an earlier post as it just works.

13. Tye

Tye Member

Sorry, Chopper. I don't have that .apk and I'm out of ideas now. Something's obviously fishy. Very frustrating. If you find a solution please let us know.

14. Tye

Tye Member

Ok, just one more set of questions: You asked for the .apk for File Expert. I might be able to extract the newest one but it sounds like you're asking for an earlier version. If you do need an earlier version maybe the developer would send you an older version?

15. chopper

chopper Active Member

Ok I tried asking the dev for an older version as the newest version doesn't work on my GTV and no reply for 2 weeks. But if you have a working copy that you are willing to send me I will give it a try in hope that it works. Perhaps side loading is the way to get it working as the market updates messed it up.

Frustrating yes, and thanks for all your efforts.

16. chopper

chopper Active Member

Solved:

File expert gave me the option to clear the App memory today upon another failed startup. I think this happened after I hit the back button instead of selecting force close when the App failed to launch again. When I did that it now works.

Now does anyone know a way to save the path to favourites or do I have to keep following the path to get to my USB hard drive every time I use this App?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  17. Tye

Tye Member

Great to hear!

• Like Like x 2
  18. guest

guest Active Member

Hi. I just read this thread and wanted to know if it worked out well. And whether or not you keep both the File Expert application and the ES File Explorer application on your Google TV or have deleted one of them. Earlier today, catfishrivers recommended the Mitty application as a possible solution to a problem that I was having placing MP3's on an iPod Shuffle using a Google TV. After reading this thread, it appears that using this File Expert application along with Mitty may get the job done. I'm still researching the procedure that I need to follow to accomplish this result.

19. guest

guest Active Member

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but is the solution for the OP, the File Expert app., also able to copy, move and delete the contents of a Flash Drive? My iPod Shuffle is a 2GB USB Flash Drive. If I can find a way to download MP3's into it with a GTV, I would also like the ability to delete those MP3's at some point in the future.

20. guest

guest Active Member

Excellent. Thank you. With an iPod Shuffle connected to my Logitech Revue and with the File Expert app running, I did as you suggested and went to: Phone Internal Storage/mnt/media/usb.xxx. There, it displayed three items: F00, F01 and F02. I clicked F00 and it give two player options. I clicked ES Media Player. It was a Bee Gee's song installed in a cybercafe last week. I wasn't able to stop the 3-minute song, so it played till the end. The F01 and F02 seemed to be blank. There were three songs installed on the iPod Shuffle in the Cybercafe. I had heard all three songs. Two seem to have vanished. I was thinking when I unmounted the iPod from the Revue, I didn't "notify" the Revue that I was going to unplug it, and so they were erased (?). Either that,or they're somewhere. All I know is that just one song plays on the iPod at the moment.

I see that I am now able to delete an MP3 from the iPod. I wasn't looking forward to having to visit a cybercafe every time I wanted to delete a song!

The last thing I need to do is to find a way of putting the music into the iPod from the Revue. I'm hoping the developer of the Mitty application responds to a post that I made this morning regarding whether his app can download/upload (which is it?) an MP3 into an iPod Shuffle using just a Revue.