Quantcast

Anyone have experience with the Gtv tasker plugin?

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by Cyphermax, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Cyphermax

Cyphermax New Member

So I finally pulled the trigger and bought a NSZ-GS8. So far I'm really impressed.

The last couple months I've become a Tasker nut and have many profiles running on my phone that make every day tasks so easy. I would consider myself an intermediate when it comes to tasker and all Jaos Diaz plugin apps such as autovoice autoremote autoshare etc.

There is a plug-in called the gtv tasker plug-in that can control your gtv via tasker. You can emulate key codes from the remote, url, data, and load apps. I'm having some trouble though. I can't get an app to load. I've verified the Android package on the NSZ-GS8 for the app I want to open and input it into the tasker configuration exactly how the developer specifies and test it nothing happens. Also for key codes, I've only had a few that I've tried actually work. Volume and channel work but things like tv and avr power don't work.

I just need to know if anyone else has tried this with their NSZ-GS8 and is it something im doing wrong or does the plugin not work so well with the NSZ-GS8 in particular. Thanks.

2. Cyphermax

Cyphermax New Member

So I finally got everything working the way I want. I had to reset the Sony NSZ-GS8 with alt tab delete and the Gtv plugin commands now work. Now I can remotely turn my system on and off open apps and search all with voice commands from tasker. So awesome. This is just the beginning.

• Like Like x 4
  3. deadringer28

deadringer28 Active Member

I too am looking to get started using Tasker on my GS8. Did you also load tasker on the GTV or are you doing all of the commands from the phone?

4. Cyphermax

Cyphermax New Member

The only app you need on the Gtv is the Gtv tasker app which gives you all the app package names so you can launch apps. The way I have mine set up is a send auto remote messages from my phone to my xoom then depending on the message the xoom carries out the tasker task with the Gtv plugin this way I can control my system whether I'm home on wifi or not since the xoom is always home and connected to the wifi.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I am pretty dense and now headed to YouTube to see if there is a demo available on using Tasker with Google TV. I did install the app some time ago and uninstalled it quickly, I couldn't figure out what it is supposed to do, I still don't get it.

• Like Like x 2
  6. ChrisG8

I watched a couple of videos in YouTube, found with a Tasker Google TV search. What I watched I would call demos of using voice control for home automation of some sort using various apps, including Tasker. Ha, I still don't get it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Cyphermax

Cyphermax New Member

The power of tasker.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  8. deadringer28

I'm in the EXACT same boat as Chris. I installed and quickly uninstalled this app. I was able to use my GS8 remote to send a voice command to kill an app. Pretty cool since that is exactly what I wanted to do. However it was done through a voice search. I would have preferred to kill the app with voice on the remote without having to perform a search. Not sure if that makes sense....it barely does to me...LOL

Nonetheless maybe we need to start a study group together.

9. ChrisG8

Ha, well some of us have more difficulty with certain things than others. I am counting on Cyphermax to take some time to help me understand this one.

10. Cyphermax

Cyphermax New Member

What do you actually want to do? I pretty much taught myself. I started with the 3 part series of tasker by Armando Ferraria on YouTube. From there you just need tasker, autovoice, GTV tasker plugin and autoremote (depending on what your doing) installed on your phone. Then install the GTV tasker apps app linked from the Gtv tasker plug-in in the play stored installed on your GS8. create your command profile ie. Autovoice recognized tv on then have that execute the key code task of turning your TV on.

It's really a lot easier then I'm explaining it. But I'd highly recommend just watching as many tasker and auto plugin app tutorials. Tasker is the single best app I've ever used. Highly recommended.

• Like Like x 2
  11. ChrisG8

Thanks, I will try to proceed with those steps once I determine it will offer features I want. I will assume it will work with an Android tablet, since I don't have a smart phone.

12. Cyphermax

Cyphermax New Member

Yes all this is possible from any android device.

13. deadringer28

Except for killing an app I think the mic from the Sony remote already does what i want it to do, but maybe I am missing some important things that the stock remote can not do?

14. Cyphermax

Cyphermax New Member

Using Tasker and this plugin you can automate your entertainment system. For instance I can turn my system on and off by voice or gesture from my phone at home or away. I can set up a profile so if I leave the house and forget to turn the TV off it sees I'm not on wifi anymore and turns the TV off. With a single command it can open and search any app and even play the result. I have a 6 month old and a almost 2 year old. The mornings are crazy enough getting them ready to go. I have a profile that fires up my home theater and puts cartoons on at 7am on weekdays. Literally you can do almost anything you can think of. It's fun and addictive.

• Like Like x 2
  15. deadringer28

So I would install Tasker on my phone/tablet and then install GTV tasker plugin on my GTV box and use Tasker to setup the commands? It can search within an app? So I can setup a command to have a search for TV Show "XYZ" in Netflix and it will? Or Movie "ABC" in Amazon Prime and it will?

16. Cyphermax

Cyphermax New Member

Yes, all that is possible but not quite as easy as you may think. First if you have never used tasker you should familiarize yourself with how it works. You need to learn what profiles and tasks are and all the ways to trigger them. Start with this beginners tutorial
    There are 3 or 4 parts the this series and they it help you understand what exactly tasker is capable of.

Then you need to learn about some of the tasker plugins that ar available such as autovoice and autoremote. These make triggering the tasks by voice possible. This video helps with that.

After all that you need to install tasker along with the gtv tasker pluginhttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.entertailion.android.tasker then on your TV only you need to install the gtv tasker apps. This gives your the exact intents for launching apps remotely. Then follow this tutorial by the developer so you know what the plugin can do.https://github.com/entertailion/GTV-for-Tasker/blob/master/README.md

It all looks like a lot but once you grasp how tasker and the plugins available for it work. Creating profiles and tasks is a breeze. Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 4
  17. deadringer28

Awesome thanks Cyphermax. I will have to take a look at all of that soon.

• Like Like x 2
  18. masterofmayhem

masterofmayhem New Member

What did you have to do to keep the gtv plugin connected to your gtv box?

19. Cyphermax

Cyphermax New Member

There definately are issues with the plugin loosing connection to the STB. I haven't found a fix for it and unfortunately the developer doesn't support the app much. I only use the GTV plugin for switching to Live TV and turning my TV and AVR on and off. For launching apps I installed tasker and autoremote plugin on my GTV. Then from my phone I have an autovoice recognized profile where I say for example "watch amazon" that triggers an autoremote message task that sends the message "amazon" to my GTV when it sees that message it launches the amazon instant app from tasker. It works well and will always work as autoremote with never loose connection. Hope this helps.