Quantcast

Anyone else having a problem watching ESPN3?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by txakura, Sep 2, 2011.

1. txakura

txakura New Member

I called ESPN and they didn't know anything about it. I called Sony (I'm using a Sony NSZ-GT1 bluray/Google TV player), and they had already received other calls about this issue. That leaves Google... I hope this doesn't turn out to be like the Hulu/CBS (and other?) issue: when you try to watch streaming content, you are just told your player is not one you can use to access the content. To tell the truth, I bought my Google TV almost specifically to watch ESPN3. A lot of obscure sports are available on ESPN3, and I'm addicted to some of them. If it turns out I can no longer watch ESPN3, the Google TV player will become (another) unneeded piece of AV equipment like my VCR. It may also mean I'm going to have to just bite the bullet and hook up a computer to my TV so I can get whatever streaming I want to see. Hope not, because Google TV does have other desirable features. It's just not all that important to me.

• Like Like x 2
  2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...ched-espn3-player-doesnt-seem-work-revue.html

• Like Like x 2
  3. txakura

txakura New Member

Eferz:

Since you have two different Google TV setups, is it the same for your Sony TV?

This is one of those things I find extremely annoying. I just got an email from ESPN that says I never should have been able to watch ESPN3 on Google TV in the first place! Looks like I'm just going to have to include a computer with HDMI output hooked directly into my TV. Of course, that will mean another wireless keyboard just to use that computer and another mouse. Luckily, finding an older computer on eBay will be one of the easiest things.

Really irritating... especially since the CEO of Google just said (paraphrasing) "sooner or later all TV sets will have Google TV or something like it." If he wants that to happen, he'd better see that things like connection to ESPN3 and other streaming outlets are workable.

• Like Like x 2
  4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yes.

I recommend you watch Google is "absolutely committed" to GTV

• Like Like x 2
  5. rando305

rando305 New Member

I'm suffering the same thing. ESPN3 updated their app today - and now I get no video. Please fix. I'm on the same Sony unit.

• Like Like x 2
  6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Actually, the update was implemented by ESPN3 on Wednesday, August 31st, 2011. There's no "fix" for it as the developers of ESPN3 decided to implement their own restrictions; however, you can use PlayOn Premium as a work around.

• Like Like x 4
  7. pete716

pete716 New Member

According to another thread on here ESPN3 recently updated to Flash 10.3. Currently GoogleTV only supports Flash 10.2. I had to update the flash version on my PC to get it working this week when they switched to the new espnwatch.com. We should get a flash update with the new Google TV OS update "this summer."

• Like Like x 2
  8. kissmedeadly

kissmedeadly New Member

I contacted espn by e-mail, they said you now need flash player 10.3 to watch on logitech. Google needs to update the Revue with 10.3 please!

• Like Like x 2
  9. kissmedeadly

kissmedeadly New Member

I actually called espn during a ballgame to complain about the poor stream, they also told me I shouldn't be able to watch. I said I'm watching right now, the stream just doesn't come back from commercial and other complaints. I told them sometimes I can watch for hours, other times not at all. I don't understand why Google can't update the Revue to flash 10.3, this is ridiculous. I can watch espn3 on my 6 year old dell desktop, and not on the Revue?

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Oh, great. You probably just alerted them to block Google TV via Flash actionscripts instead of just segregated Flash versions. I'm going to hold you personally responsible if ESPN blocks Google TV again.

Google can't update Flash to version 10.3 or 11 because Flash is written by Adobe. Adobe needs to submit an upgraded Flash updates for the CE4100 processors and the Google TV OS to Google. Once Google receives an update from Adobe then they can compile the package into their OS updates. Axiomatically, the reason that Flash only went from 10.1 from the original version to 10.2 in Honeycomb, is because that's what Adobe submitted to Google prior to the update that we have received.

11. kissmedeadly

kissmedeadly New Member

I called them three months ago, relax.

12. kissmedeadly

kissmedeadly New Member

And in my recent e-mail exchange with them, they politely told me that I couldn't watch because of the 10.3 issue, no mention of Revue being blocked, in fact they have never blocked the revue, I have never received a message saying it's blocked when going to their site.

13. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't think it is blocked but ESPN is 80% owned by Walt Disney Company and unless I am mistaken, ABC, also owned by Walt Disney Company is blocking Google TV. I don't care about ABC but I do want ESPN3. Whether or not ESPN3 will be blocked once the Flash version issue is behind us, I don't have any idea.

14. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Well, a good sign for paying cable/satellite subscribers is that ESPN is starting to use authenticated services. So, there's less of a reason for them to block the actual Google TV device. While that would leave cord cutters high and dry, they're the ones that the networks believe are the cause of their content losing profitability.