Quantcast

Anyone else have problems with the remote not working at all?

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by Jrizzo17, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Jrizzo17

Jrizzo17 New Member

During setup, just after the Bluetooth pairing, the remote stopped working. I tried rebooting the co-star and replaced the batteries. The remote is not working at all. Has anyone else had problems with the remote or does anyone have any tips on troubleshooting the remote?

This is my first Google TV device and I don't want to be disappointed. Thanks.

2. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Check to make sure the batteries are in the right way. You never know, my dad does it all the time and most people don't even notice if they are in a hurry.

3. degsie

degsie Member

A little 'trick' that I use to check IR remotes is to point a digital camera at the transmitter. You should see flickering on the camera viewfinder when you press a key on the remote. This is because digital cameras can 'see' infra red whereas the human eye cannot.

4. Jrizzo17

Jrizzo17 New Member

I checked the batteries and they are in the correct way. One of the first things I also did, when the remote stopped working, was to do the digital video trick to check for infrared. There was nothing. I feel like I'm doing something wrong. :-( Thanks for the tips. Keep them coming.

5. Jrizzo17

Jrizzo17 New Member

An update...the remote is in fact dead and Vizio customer service sucks bad.

I was able to chat with support online and after they made me do the same things I already tried (change the batteries, reset the device, unplug and plug back in, etc) and the conclusion was the remote is fried.

So, on to my options. I can either send it back and once they test it and determine it is in fast defective they will issue me a refund, not including the shipping charges, and minus a 10% restocking fee. Yes, so their defective device and I'd have to pay a 10% restocking fee.

The other option would be to give them my credit card so they can charge me for a new one plus shipping and they would give me a postage paid shipping label to send the defective one back. Again, once they test it and determine it is in fact defective they will give me a refund.

They are smart for charging a 10% restocking fee because if they didn't I would send it back, get my money back and never buy another google tv or Vizio product. Either way, they've lost a customer for life...over a $99 device.

6. wwsiralexd

wwsiralexd New Member

The last time I had this problem, I unpaired the remote and removed the batteries from the remote. Then I did the pairing again.

7. MSmithGTV

MSmithGTV New Member

Also try a factory reset on the bottom of the device. It fixed my remote.

They will only charge your credit card if you don't return the old device (they take your card # and put a hold just in case you don't). Pretty standard for companies to do that if you do an advanced replacement. You could also do a replacement where you send your device first and they send you a new one once they get yours. Takes longer, but no credit card required.

Be happy...I had to fight with them to give me those options. They at first were only willing to repair my device. I was about to report them to the BBB and dispute my credit card, until they finally agreed to do those.

• Like Like x 2