Quantcast

Anybody Else Having Trouble Getting The Standard Gmail Version To Load On GTV?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, May 24, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hi All. This afternoon on my Revue the regular standard version of Gmail doesn't load. The blue progress bar stays on the screen and the blue covers about 3/4s of the bar.

If I switch to the basic HTML version then it loads OK. My internet speed is 3.5 mbps download - and I've never had this problem before. I'm connected by ethernet directly to modem. All other web sites load fine.

I'm wondering if this is a problem on Google's end or if I should try a factory reset. I already tried rebooting and clearing data from Chrome - but that didn't fix the problem.

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Just tried it with a Sony NSZ-GT1, wouldn't load for me either although I would estimate I got 5/6ths of the way with my blue bar. From a practical point of view, my results are not really any better than yours but I thought I would point that out anyway.

I will check again later, this is the first time I ever recall not being able to load my GMail account and I assume it is just temporarily down, let's hope Google isn't blocking Google TV from GMail access.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ChrisG8

The HTML version loaded immediately for me also.

4. CatfishRivers

I recall that at Google I/O it was mentioned Google was working on a new Gmail. Perhaps that has something to do with it. I hope Google did not make a change causing an incompatibility with our current GTV Chrome browser. Has anyone tried this with something other than GTV?

I use the standard version for chatting in messenger on Gmail. Chatting isn't supported on the HTML version.

I just tried it with user agent on default, generic and a custom desktop user agent and the results were all the same.

ChrisG8 you are right my blue bar is also about 5/6 across. I just made a rough approximation of 3/4 in my initial post (that wasn't as accurate as 5/6ths). Our blue bars are probably the same.

5. CatfishRivers

6. CatfishRivers

Hmm... Google already marked my bug report as invalid -:(

What's up with that?

---> "Project Member #2 kri...@google.com(No comment was entered for this change.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Well hopefully the right people will take note from my post about this issue on the Google+ GTV Community. That post can be seen here:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/105279391930962034209/posts/GeJv1aFEpdz

7. CatfishRivers

Well I asked in that thread why this issue was invalid - and this was the response:

"Project Member #4 kri...@google.com
    Thank you for your interest in Google TV.

This issue has nothing to do with Google TV - it is a Gmail issue and an issue can be filed with the Gmail team for it.

Please take note that this issue tracker is for developer issues not user issues."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmm. "This issue has nothing to do with Google TV" LOL Oh really? And he can't bother to report this to the Gmail team either? No wonder GTV has been heading down the tubes....

IMO It's looking like the Gmail team made a change to Gmail that is incompatible with our current GTV browser. There was an issue a while back in which Google Maps wasn't fully functional with the GTV browser (after Google Maps receieved an update). Then after several weeks it started to work again:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...google-maps-not-functioning-properly-gtv.html

8. CatfishRivers

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  9. guest

guest Active Member

Revue user here - This has been an intermittent problem for me going back, roughly, six months or more.

10. CatfishRivers

I have discovered a workaround to use Gmail messenger for chatting (the HTML version of Gmail doesn't support messenger).

I use the following free web chatting service with my Revue:

https://plus.im/

I just tested it with my Revue. It will list all of your Gmail contacts and allow chatting.

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  11. CatfishRivers

Yeppers if I was a betting man I'd wager that the forthcoming Gmail upgrades mentioned in the following article (see link below) - are related to the current GTV problems with Gmail. IMO the Gmail team forgot about the poor old outadated GTV Chrome browser. So now the question is can/will they provide a fix before the GTV Jellybean update? The Jellybean update will have Chrome 26 and should support the new Gmail upgrades - but without a fix first generation GTV devices would be stuck using the basic HTML version of Gmail:

Screenshots Reveal Revamped Gmail For Mobile And Web May Be On The Way (click for full article)

by Ken Yeung - May 24, 2013

"Gmail users could be seeing the service getting a redesign soon. Following reports by Android Police about leaked screenshots of the update during Google I/O, we're also hearing that the email service will feature five tabs to categorize emails for better organization. These changes will be available for not only on the Web, but also for iOS and Android devices."

Last edited: May 25, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  12. CatfishRivers

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  13. CatfishRivers

It's official. Google posted a few hours ago on their Gmail blog about the new changes to Gmail:

Official Gmail Blog
    (click for full blog)

A new inbox that puts you back in control

Posted by Itamar Gilad, Product Manager

-- "We get a lot of different types of email: messages from friends, social notifications, deals and offers, confirmations and receipts, and more. All of these emails can compete for our attention and make it harder to focus on the things we need to get done. Sometimes it feels like our inboxes are controlling us, rather than the other way around.

But it doesn't have to be that way. Today, Gmail is getting a brand new inbox on desktop and mobile that puts you back in control using simple, easy organization."

Meet Gmail's New Inbox:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  14. guest

guest Active Member

I don't know about anyone else, but when I draft an e-mail in Gmail's Basic HTML, I sweat bullets when I go to save the draft. The reason is the Save Draft and the Discard Draft are located right next to each other. At least twice in the past year, I've accidently deleted a draft. If you're not paying the strickest of attention to what you are doing, whether because of sleepiness or absentmindedness, you could easily lose what you had just spent the last hour drafting!

As well, if you don't frequently save what you're drafting [Basic HTML doesn't autosave], GTV crashing will also effectively delete what you wrote. I'm using the Revue and today the device has already crashed twice.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  15. CatfishRivers

The Gmail instant messenger workaround has been a godsend for me. I mentioned it previously in this thread:

https://plus.im/

Otherwise I probably would of ditched my GTV for a Chromebook or something else. Still hanging in there with GTV but this new problem with the "AwSnap!" BS on the YouTube web site is also very annoying.

16. CatfishRivers

I'm still experiencing this same problem on my Logitech Revue. I'm wondering if many others of you are also experiencing this problem of only being able to load Gmail in basic HTML? And what GTV device you are using? I posted about this issue in the Gmail Forum - because the GTV Developer Issue web site told me this is not a GTV issue and I should contact the Gmail team. Whatever..

Anyway nothing but crickets from YouTube support staff after I posted in the Gmail forum over 3 weeks ago. Not a word. Several other Gmail users mentioned they are having the same problem after I made the post though (see link below)

https://groups.google.com/a/googlep...6e-1d5c66aa8e98@googleproductforums.com?hl=en.

Somebody from another thread said he just tried Gmail with his Sony GTV blu-ray today and he could access the standard version of Gmail. (He wasn't able to previously).

No such luck on my Revue.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  17. CatfishRivers

Good news! The regular standard version of Gmail is working today on my Logitech Revue -:) I also got the notification about the new changes made to the Gmail inbox:

*** Meet the new inbox
    Inbox tabs put you back in control with simple organization so that you can see what's new at a glance and decide which emails you want to read when. Watch the video

Organized into categories
    You choose from five optional tabs: Primary, Social, Promotions, Updates and Forums. These categories make it easy to read messages of the same type all at once.

Easy to customize
    Select the tabs you want from all five to none. And, if you see a message you want in a different tab, all you have to do is drag and drop it into the tab you choose. More tips

Get the new inbox on your mobile device
    The new inbox is available in Gmail's official mobile apps on Android 4.0+ devices as well as iPhone and iPad. Your mobile inbox and notifications now show primary email. It's easy to access and keep track of email in other categories. ***

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  18. Travel

Travel Active Member

I'm still only able to get the "Basic HTML" Gmail with the GS7.

19. ChrisG8

I have been able to access the standard Gmail for some time now after being unable for a couple of tries during a brief period, using a Sony NSZ-GT1, I don't recall specifics. I also received an email about the new Gmail but haven't read anything about it yet.

20. CatfishRivers

Travel last night I got an email from Google about the "new Gmail". Then today my regular email was working. Have you received the email about the new Gmail yet?

My hunch is that Google is rolling out the new Gmail gradually in stages - and that once you get the email notification about the new Gmail your standard version of Gmail should start working soon after.