Quantcast

Any workaround for having just a COAX cable?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by hallor618, Jun 14, 2011.

1. hallor618

hallor618 New Member

Does anyone know of any workarounds for only having a COAX cable? When I go to school I have cable from charter, but no set top box. I know this question has been asked alot but there isn't much about this issue on the internet.

2. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

The sony google tv has a spot for a coaxial cable input. I assume if you can use other tvs with your coaxial tv without a set top box then there should be no problem with the sony google tv as well. I think the paperwork.

My paperwork says the following about cable with the sony google tv - QAM on cable : ANSI/SCTE 07 2000 ( does not include cable card funcionality)
    channel coverage - analog cable :1-135 /Digital cable - 1-135

So if your cable is in the clear and not encrypted , you should be able to access the unencrypted channels if they fall in the 1-135 mark. You should talk to someone knowledgable about QAM signals and cable as I have no idea about it and am just reading what my paperwork says.

3. lucas710

lucas710 New Member

Camby IN---------------------------Sony 40" GTV
    Yes, the Sony Google TV has a input for coax. The cool thing about GTV is the built in guide. When you plug your coax cable in, the TV will get channel info from your TV provider and OTA channels, so it will look like a guide you see on Comcast/Cable just not as polished. This will also be Upgraded with 3.1 (Honeycomb) this summer.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  4. galfert

galfert Active Member

Hallor618 does not mention which Google TV device he is considering. And the follow up replies mention that Sony Google TV has Coax input. But that is only true for Sony Google TV TVs....and not Sony Google TV Blu-ray player. If you are are considering the Logitech Revue or the Sony Google TV blu-ray player then you need a set top box of some kind to fully take advantage of the Google TV experience...but it isn't a real requirement. You could just switch inputs and only use Google TV for online or networked content. I would highly recommend the Revue over any other Google TV product and get a set top box. You can also purchase your own OTA DVR set top box....search and you'll find suggestions.