Quantcast

Any way to "sling" TV via the revue?

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by mbreezy, Jan 9, 2012.

1. mbreezy

mbreezy New Member

I've looked around, but maybe I'm searching the incorret terms. Is there a way to connect my vip722K (dish network dvr) to the revue and sling shows? I followed some steps and then my dvr said to check dishnetwork.com to activate but I can't find anything on there on how to integrate the two. I'm stuck, I guess.

Surely it's simple, but I'm just not catching onto something or searching for the wrong stuff.

2. lkruper

lkruper Member

Dish offers to integrate some of its receivers with the Revue, in fact it sells them for $99 last time I looked. They do charge $4 per month for the enhanced integration which allows one to search a Dish DVR and record with a better interface. I have not yet upgraded my Dish receiver for this and I do have a Slingbox. You can set up your google tv (I have the Sony NSX-GT1) to be aware of Dish programming so that the Movies and TV app shows what is on Dish and clicking on those icons changes the channel. That works well. However the google-tv would not sling anything... that would be done by the Slingbox.

3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

There's no way to do it with just the Dish Receiver with the Logitech Revue. You'd need have a setup similar to the Google TV Setup #1 in my signature below to do that.

4. halox

halox New Member

What's the HD Fury 3 doing for you in that setup?

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The Slingbox doesn't not have HDMI input. No place-shifter does. They don't want to have to deal with the potential headache with HDCP restrictions. So, the HD Fury converts the connection from the Revue's HDMI output into 1080i Component video of my Slingbox Pro-HD.

6. halox

halox New Member

Awesome. I've got an old Sony Grand Wega I've been wanting to hook a Revue up to ... but it only has component and DVI. Maybe I'll do this. (I've got an HDMI to DVI convertor ... but then I'd still have to deal with the audio output from the Revue... so the Fury would handle it better.)

I guess I'll wait to see how much the new Sony GS7 is going to go for before moving my Revue around. That remote looks AWESOME.

7. lkruper

lkruper Member

So you sling your Revue to the 24"? What virtual remote do you use?

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

I dunno if awesome is the word I'd use for it. The keyboard looks like the same kind of buttons used in the old Speak n' Spell toys of the 80's. Those weren't very fun to type with and wore out pretty fast. The other side looks like a faceless PDA. I think Sony is trying much to hard to "reinvent" the remote for Smart TVs. They should stick to the original ergonomics of a handheld which has become intuitive to use with a television. It is a shame they don't just license the Tivo Slide design because that in my opinion would be an AWESOME GTV remote.

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yep, I have several devices that can render the Slingbox streams including the NSX-24GT1. So, I use the virtual remote that is associated with each client.

10. mbreezy

mbreezy New Member

Dang, I guess I misunderstood it's capabilities. I'm deploying (again) this week and was hoping to sling football games to me out there.

Thanks for all the advice, though!

11. lkruper

lkruper Member

All you need is for someone to host a Slingbox for you who has a good network connection and the channels you need plugged into the Slingbox. You can view the games on a variety of devices such as PC or phone and now the Logitech Revue.

12. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

There are also services that will host a placeshifting box for you. Actually, I have a friend in Taiwan that hosts Satellite TV placeshifting service with products by Sling Media or Monsoon Multimedia. There's lots of sites like, American TV 2 Go - Digital Television, Unleashed that offers the same service type of service but with American Satellite TV service.

13. lkruper

lkruper Member

I have heard of that as well. Pretty cool. What he really needs, though, is a friend or family member who has a good broadband connection and perhaps even a strong broadcast OTA signal for his favorite sports stations and he can get that for free!

14. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It would have to be a "really good" broadband connection, if he is going to be stationed outside of the continental United States.

15. Shadez

Shadez New Member

If you're on a wifi network try the app imediashare.

16. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Not sure if you missed the part where he wants to "sling football games" out to where he is being deployed. So, I'm pretty sure he'll be a little bit outside of the range of his WiFi network. That's why he wants to use something with place-shifting capabilities like a Sling Media Slingbox or Monsoon Media Vulkano for this capability.

17. Shadez

Shadez New Member

Yep I misread .. my bad :)

18. bukzin

bukzin New Member

How good of a connection to get an OK picture?

I want to Sling to France and view the NFL on an ipad.

Do I need the Fury unit? Is it still available?

Thanks!

19. madman999

madman999 Member

I have a Hava Platinum and recently got the android app working on my revue. This allows me to display the picture from my attached cable box to another tv with a revue located on remote network. Can also placeshift to tablet and smartphone.

Sent from Htc Droid Incredible

20. bukzin

bukzin New Member

To use the Revue would he have to take it with him?

Not sure about the basics here.