Quantcast

Any updates or alternative solutions for the lack of an Amazon Instant Video app?

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by haphazard, Nov 27, 2012.

1. haphazard

haphazard New Member

While I enjoy some aspects of my Vizio Co-Star, I have to say that its shortcomings are more than enough to put it in the "early adopter regret" category.

The biggest one is its lack of an Amazon Instant Video app. This is a huge atrocity for Vizio's "could have been" product. Not only do they throw the Amazon logo everywhere and completely give the impression that this device works great with Amazon Instant Video, there is a dedicated spot on the remote for Amazon Instant Video! Did anyone expect that this dedicated button would open a freaking web page? I was eventually able to figure out how to watch the videos that I pay for with my Amazon Prime account, but it surely wasn't intuitive. Not even close. And regardless, it's still a failure because I can't even fathom the idea of expecting other people to figure this out. With the Amazon Instant Video app on the Xbox 360, anyone in my house could pick up the remote or controller and find what they're looking for with ease. So, there goes my idea of moving the video game system to another room in place of a sleek, made-for-watching-videos device.

So, I've called and made my case with Vizio on several occasions. The people there are clueless and are clearly given a script for what to say about this. Yes, I realize it "technically" is not their responsibility, but it became their responsibility when they baited me in with the idea that their product works the way it is advertised.

Does anyone know if there are plans to make this work? Is it just a lost cause?

Is there any way to sideload a different version of the app? Is the thought of a community-driven solution also hopeless?

Thanks,
    Greg

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I believe the correct answer is when Amazon wants a Google TV app for Instant Video, that is when it will be offered. I have a PS3 and the app was added some months ago but the PS3 has many times the user base Google TV has. My guess is we will see a proper app in 2013, but I have nothing to support that guess. There is no way to sideload or hack or adapt an app for a different device to Google TV.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I believe content licensing issues are the reason we can't get HD movies with Google TV currently and if that is true, we probably won't see a native app developed until that issue is solved.

4. macd144

macd144 New Member

I just bought and installed the Vizio Co-Star yesterday and was very disappointed that the prime app is nothing other than a link to the Amazon web page. very discouraged by that. How do we raise this concern to Amazon? I tried finding a place on the Amazon site to lodge a complaint but i cant.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

The Amazon Instant Video For Google TV App with HD will be available very soon to you and your disappointment will be over, just be patient, it's already in the works ...!(lol)

[​IMG]Amazon Instant Video-Google TVAmazon Mobile LLC[​IMG]

Enjoy Amazon Instant Video on Google TV by downloading this free app. Amazo...
    [​IMG]Install

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013