Quantcast

Any regrets buying G2?

Discussion in 'LG Internet TV' started by Lakedubvt, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Lakedubvt

Lakedubvt New Member

With recent price cuts, I am considering buying the 55 inch G2 from Amazon. For anyone that owns one, would you buy it again? What types of issues are you having? Anyone using with an AV receiver.

It is a beautiful television and I am a fan of Google TV (currently own a Sony Google TV box), my main concern is the CNET review that bashes the picture quality.

Any help or info would be great!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

2. crawlernight11

crawlernight11 New Member

To make it clear, I don't think there can be any regrets buying G2. I think G2 can be the best choice. The G2 is a real looker. Its brushed aluminum bezel may not be the thinnest we've seen, but it makes for some eye-catching trim. This TV is equipped with 3D Sound Zooming to provide a greater level of sound immersion with 3D content. In terms of connectivity, the G2 reads like a top-tier television.
    You get four HDMI inputs, three USB inputs, a LAN port, wireless Internet adapter, legacy A/V inputs and a digital optical audio output. G2 bowled us over with excellent picture quality. Resolution Upscaler is feature that enhances the resolution of original content to a higher resolution. TruMotion 120Hz technology lets you see sports, video games and high-speed action with virtually no motion blur. Intelligent Sensor automatically optimizes the picture to the lighting and color conditions in the room for a more enjoyable viewing experience.

3. belogical

belogical New Member

This is my first Google TV experience and I am loving it. The only thing I don't like is the remote that comes with the TV isn't a universal remote.

4. skypros

skypros New Member

I have regrets,
    I wish I had purchased the LG LM6700..... For the simple fact that I HATE the G2's qwerty remote.
    Honestly can anyone see the "red FN" font on the small keys.
    Is the a reason that they needed to make the remote so small?????
    They could of included 2 remotes.... One magic remote like the one they supply with most of their higher end TV's and a "modified" Logitech K-700
    I do reliaze that I can buy a "magic remote" for around $80
    I did purchase a Logitech K-700.... But because it was not designed for the G2 TV it has functions that are not available or don't work correctly with the G2.

But my biggest concern is that something is going to happen with the "software" on this TV, thus making me take it to a TV repair shop... Allot of TV's last 10+ years, will this one last ??????

All-In-All.... the TV is beautiful both in looks and picture quality...... I would rate it at a 7 out of 10

5. belogical

belogical New Member

Ha, yeah, those red buttons are pretty brutal. It's hard to see them in good light. If it was a backlit remote, for me, would have made all the difference in the world.

I actually really like the remote for everything web/app related. I use my DirecTV remote for everything else.

6. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

for me, if you plan on using this TV the same way you used your old one that you had for 10+ years, then this is not the TV for you.

dont get me wrong, this is a great TV. the way that the TV&Movies app brings together your premium services and your Live TV channels is amazing.

the picture quality is definitely not the same as a "normal" TV, such as the LM6700. i play a movie on the g@ and the picture looks worse and it did a horrible job scaling the subtitles, where as the LM6700, looks significantly better playing the same movie and the subtitiles look normal. having said that, you dont buy this TV to watch stuff via USB, you buy it to consume media via your Apps and TV service.

software...there is definitely software issues, same android phones, somewhat glitchy. its not like a traditional TV's OS that does not suffer from this level of glitchiness.

the browser, is by far the best browser of any Smart TV platform....BY FAR!! my only concern, will you be able to update Flash on it or are we stuck at flash 11.0 and HTML5?

i would buy this TV is i had Cable/Sat with all premium channels and a super fast internet connection of 10Mbps or more.

7. rttunney

rttunney New Member

Being a new owner of this product I too cannot stand or see the remote. But there is a $2.99 answer for this remote. If you have a smart phone of any seize look into the ABLE REMOTE app. With a little programming it IS the answer and you can see all the buttons. The only thing I use the supplied remote for is to turn off the TV and that is because I cannot figure out how to put the TV in sleep mode. Now if I could only figure out how to control a sound bar.

8. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

with the remote to the sound bar...

9. rttunney

rttunney New Member

That only works if you have a soundbar that is compatible with the IR blaster....which I now have. I also purchased the Logistics TV730. It solves the seize problem but not the putting the TV into standby. It also is a 2 hand unit. Some features like lighting up are great but the instructions are scarce.

10. dispatch00

dispatch00 New Member

Sorry to also post this elsewhere, but I have several regrets. I'm a techie so it's not easy to make me give up on a TV/other piece of technology, but I'm returning my 47g2. Here are the dealbreakers:

1. The included QWERTY Magic Remote is a radio remote, meaning it cannot be used to control a soundbar with infrared. This means you can either a) use the TV speakers which are crappy or b) use a amplifier/receiver which can be controlled with the included IR blasters (I wanted a soundbar so I didn't have the huge receiver and speaker issue in the first place!) I even called LG to confirm and they said they cannot make the remote output IR. Even if I could find a soundbar that fits my space requirements and uses the IR blaster, I think the IR blaster is ugly and a bad solution.

2. I don't have cable (GASP!) nor do I have an OTA antenna hooked up. Each time the TV starts it pops up a wizard asking me to connect a video source. ANNOYING and there is no way to turn it off. Really not good for the wife (or any non-techie) trying simply to operate the TV.

3. Boot time. Takes 30 seconds to a minute before you can even reach the Google interface or ANY application. In the mean time you are shown the TV source (in my case, not having one, it shows the LG/Google TV logo).

4. Start up application. You can tell the TV to start a particular app upon start up (sounded useful for me since I don't have a TV input). However, it is buggy and usually changes itself back to the TV input for startup (and then presents issue #2 all over again).

5. General bugginess. Examples:
    a. Playing Pandora, then hit the home button. Music stops because it wants to play the TV sound (EVEN IF YOU DON'T HAVE A TV INPUT!)
    b. AirTight (which works fine on my friends Logitech) crashes and reboots the TV 75% of the time I try to use it
    c. others I will add as I remember/think of them

11. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

1) there is not a single normal IR remote for a TV (that comes with the TV) that can control a sound bar. MAYBE expensive 3rd party universal remotes can...so your point is pretty moot.

2)This TV is designed to be used with a TV signal (actually its really designed to work in conjunction with Cable) so this is really a result of your poor research before buying this TV. it was never meant to be a cord cutter.

3)Most Smart TV's do this so again...moot.

4)Granted it might be a bit buggy, but you do know that the OS was made by google (based off of android)...? (again issue 2 is a non-issue)

5)
    a) again this is a non-issue since the TV is supposed to have a TV signal, this was more your fault than the TV's.
    b)that is Airtight's fault not the TV's...

12. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

On number 2 i would see if buying a cheap indoor antenna like a terk and attach it and it's still asking you to connect a video source , you should do a scan for new channels with your tv tuner and make the tv tuner the default video source. Doing that should get rid of that message popping up all the time.

13. dispatch00

dispatch00 New Member

@trallyus

You're right, and I did already do that. I gues the real issue for me is that I'd like to be able to not have the TV input on by default on the homescreen as it tends to interrupt all of the Android apps (with sound, e.g. Google Music, etc.). Surprising that Android/LG doesn't let you configure that. On the LG Smart TV sets, sure, I understand, but on the Google integrated sets I was hoping for a bit more... Android.

@Fomol

Go be unhelpful elsewhere.

14. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

well your not being very helpful by posting the exact same thing in multiple threads just so your unsubstantiated opinion can drown out the real concerns.

15. dispatch00

dispatch00 New Member

Fomol: LOL. I do have real concerns, some of which are not talked about anywhere on the web. I am merely answering the OPs question, and again, you pop in to derail real conversation about real issues that I have.

16. saurabh_191

saurabh_191 New Member

Three regrets:

1. The TV crashes sometimes. It will sometimes abruptly shutdown similar to when PC crashes. It happens once in a while, but it feels odd if it happens in television.
    2. It takes a while to upload the menu. So if I have to switch on the tv and change the input to xbox or change channel, i have to wait for couple of minutes before I can do that.
    3. One of the selling point for me was the IR blaster. It still does not support some of the common home theater system. I have a Sony home theater system and it is not able to control the volume. So I have to still control the volume using a separate remote. I cannot use an universal remote because of other google functionalities in the LG remote.

Things I really like
    1. Search for tv programs and movies
    2. Voice search