Quantcast

Any GTV boxes 120hz? Got this old Revue...

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by derekcentrico, Nov 19, 2012.

1. derekcentrico

derekcentrico New Member

As the subject states, we have the ole Revue. Like it and use it constantly. In fact, we have four of them and all are heavily used.

We're upgrading a TV to 120hz LED this week. I'm pretty sure the Revue is 60hz only. I'm curious if we have any options to keep GTV going strong with the better video promised by the hz increase...

Input much appreciated.

EDIT: I spoke with Vizio and they said that the Co-star will operate in whatever hz environment the TV operates in. This seems kind of odd to me. Any thoughts on that? If that were true, I would think the Revue would do 120hz, but Logitech says only 60hz. Ultra confused.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  2. callanish

callanish Member

I've got a Revue hooked up to a 240 hz Sony Bravia xbr9. Nothing to worry about as far as hardware compatibility and no deterioration in picture quality when using the Revue in the middle of your setup between the cable / Sat box and the T.V. If the Revue is downgrading the signal to 60 hz from, in my case, 240 hz, then I'm having a hard time seeing the difference whether it's from sports or action movies where doubling the hz can provide a benefit with faster moving objects on the screen. I still think my eyes are pretty good, so if there's a compromise, I've yet to see it on my setup. All I can tell you is that the Revue continues to work fine with upgraded hardware.

3. derekcentrico

derekcentrico New Member

Cool deal. At least we aren't going to go backwards at all.

Any knowledge on the new generation of GTV devices and 120 to 240hz compatibility and pass-through for quality? That will be the last piece I have to upgrade in the current setup to take advantage of the TV upgrade entirely.

4. callanish

callanish Member

I've read nothing about the next generation of Google TV boxes. It's all about the overall GoogleTV sales on whether we'll get a next generation or not. All the current ones are running with the Dual marvell chips, so I'm guessing that's more than enough horsepower to at least get a few future Google TV O.S upgrades, but as far as how this applies to higher hz compatibility support, to take advantage of future TV technology, your guess is as good as mine. There's still plenty of life in your Logitech Revue boxes and any improvement in picture quality from the 2nd gen Google TV box is marginal at best. I own the Sony NSZ-GS7 box as well and I couldn't see all that much difference in picture quality between that and the Revue when it was hooked up to the Bravia XBR9.

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I would think that if an older TV does not have true 720P resolution - that would be more of a concern (of the TV possible not being compatible with a GTV device). For example some older LCD TVs are called 720P but actually have a resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels. Sony customer service has actually told this to several NSZ-ZS7 owners that were unable to get it to work with their specific TV. I haven't heard of any incompatibility issues specifically caused by the Marvell Armada 1500 chip in current GTV devices.

Back in January MediaTek announced a 120 hz chip for Google TV devices. However I doon't believe any GTV devices have come to market yet with this chip yet:

MediaTek’s Google TV 120Hz chipset detailed - SlashGear

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  6. katie450

katie450 New Member

GTV devices I wanna sell??? Anyone want to buy then please do contact with me or pm me....