Quantcast

Any DLNA experts out there?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by csb059, Mar 25, 2011.

1. csb059

csb059 New Member

I'm looking to record some OTA broadcasts on my computer (has a ATSC Tuner built in) via Windows (WMC). I'd like to be able view these on my GTV/HDTV in the basement via DLNA. I've already set up the "connection" and can play music and view pictures. Just wondering if anyone is already doing what I'm contemplating and if there are any gotchas to watchout for. Right now it doesn't look like the media player (I have the Sony Blu-ray GTV) has native support for the file extension that will be created by Windows and may have to be converted.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. StevenB

StevenB New Member

You will have to convert. There are DLNA Options that you could use, for instance PlayOn that uses VLC, to potentially support the file extension your recordings are. The GTV's do not natively support that many codecs at all :(

3. csb059

csb059 New Member

Thanks Steven. Sorry for the delayed response. I did perform some trials and I was able to record and covert to AVI and play over my home network to my Sony GTV Blu-ray Player. The conversion took quite a while (8-9 mins for a 8 min recording) on my pc and quality degraded quite a bit, but that may have been my file extension choice. The interesting thing is I wasn't able to play it on my "regular" Sony Blu-ray player. The Sony Google TV must have a different media player than the Sony Blu-ray players.

I might try a different DLNA option as you suggested. But I'm hoping that the eventual release of the Market on GTV will provide an app that will play dvr-ms files natively.