Quantcast

Any decent new Apps?

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by Greenenergyassessors, May 29, 2013.

1. Greenenergyassessors

Greenenergyassessors New Member

I've noticed a distinct lack of new Apps. Can anyone recommend any? :(

2. Greenenergyassessors

I'll take that as no then.

3. SchmittyThePirate

SchmittyThePirate New Member

Don't expect anything really compelling until Google TV units begin receiving the Jelly Bean update.

4. Greenenergyassessors

I did realise that before I posted, but I always want to check. I guess it's habit really.

5. tfid

tfid New Member

Yeah, the Asus Cube I got last month is just a movie/music player for now. I like the fish tank apps, but they seem like amateur programs or something a college student would do. I would like a music player/streaming program like WinAmp with an EQ and cool visualizations like MilkDrop.

6. googlethis

googlethis New Member

Only new app I know of is the Redbox app that came out today I am guessing
    Redbox Instant app available for Google TV
    You have to go to the play store and search for it and it is only available for 2nd gen devices.

7. markradd

markradd New Member

New guy here, Hi all, usually browse, don't think I've posted before, anyways we're reaching the point where those of us who've used google reader as our backend for the googletv podcast app, must migrate. play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.coolestech this app isn't new per se last update was 7 months ago, but, it has measured up superbly as a replacement for the podcast app on my logitech revue.
    my criteria for superb is low storage requirement, low runtime resource consumption, playing audio/video podcasts directly from the app as well as displaying any comments about the feed to be played.
    the app is super simple, takes about 1 hour to figger out all the functions, and setup that are optimal for the lowly logitech revue :)
    I've checked out several other feedreaders all either consumed unacceptable levels of resources and/or had too limited capabilities.
    give it a try, Cooletech rss feed reader.

• Like Like x 2
  8. unk

unk New Member

I'd like to suggest the 1channel app. Its been mentioned before here but it works really well on Google TV. The paid version is def worth the money. Developer has done a really good job with the site scrapers and with the interface and its also the only app I have that gets regular updates. Search works really well. Paid version I think gets you icefilms and 1channel movies also. Icefilms has 720p sites that stream great. Well except for the ac3 encodes on my costar but thats another story. Really the only decent googletv app I've found. Also works well on my android phone. Much better than navix. Wish he added a scraper for firstrowsports but can't have everything. A really useful app since the bit torrent crackdown. Highly recommended.

Note this app involves sailing the open seas so if that's not your thing then disregard.

Also I have gotten some use from allrecipes app. Its decent, but you know, just recipes. Not really a killer app.

9. mardukeme

mardukeme Member

I have to agree the 1channel upgrade version is amazing. The developer.is very active with bug fixes and feature requests. Between this app and Noobroom you pretty much have it all. Navi-X servers always seem to be overwhelmed during the weekend.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

10. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

According to Wikipedia the 1channel web site has been "hijacked". Does anyone know what this is all about?

1channel.ch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From the Wikipedia article:

"As of May, 2013, 1Channel.ch has been confirmed to be "hijacked." In response, it is advised to avoid 1channel.ch and use the original site letmewatchthis.ch instead.

On June 5, letmewatchthis.ch has issued their new name of primewire.ag and stated that 1chanel.ch(domain) is still hijacked."

11. unk

unk New Member

Apparently the site was hijacked though I think it might be back, however links aren't fully working. As a testament to the responsiveness of the 1channel app developer I didn't even notice when it happened. He updated the app immediately with an alternate site that works fine. I don't think that's available to the free users so I think that probably accounts for many of the negative reviews on google play. Like I said it works great. I haven't used Noobroom much since discovering the 1channel app, but it was pretty decent although the server availability and loading were sketchy at times. I haven't looked back. The recent addition of icefilms with its better servers than 1channel makes the app even more impressive. I initially got the costar to be able to watch espn3 and the Daily Show which I couldn't do with my roku. We primarily use it for that purpose along with netflix and pandora, but imo the 1channel app alone makes it a killer box, since its not available on anything short of a full fledged htpc setup. But its pretty much the best of xbmc. I've considered going the android stick route because I'd love root with a decent adblocker not to mention the larger app selection, but I think they still don't have hardware decoding figured out and the co-star just works for me(except dolby decode). Its also easy enough for the gf to figure out how to work when I'm gone, which is key. The playon app works decently too, but the streaming from PC is just SD usually and looks like crap on a decently large tv. I haven't tried plex or other server streaming, but I don't have an always on server and really want my costar to be "it". Actually what I really want is for android to support usb atsc tuning and someone to build a decent DVR app. It still boggles my mind that no one has done this at all. I mean how hard would it be to implement as a live wallpaper?!?!? Even the Armada 1500 dev board features a tuner built-in but so far no googletv manufacturer has included it. But I digress. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

• Like Like x 2
  12. CatfishRivers

If you want hardware acceleration with XBMC on android - then currently I believe the only option are the android TV boxes with the AmLogic processors.

Frankly I'm kind of surprised that Google allows the 1Channel app to stay in the Google Play Store. Yeah I know that technically the app is "legal" (because 1Channel doesn't host any of the content itself - it just provides links for TV Shows/movies hosted on other file sharing sites). We all know that 1Channel is all about viewing copyrighted material without paying for it. One would have to be really naive to think that Google doesn't understand this. IMO these kind of apps in the Google Play Store do nothing for the "relationships" that Google is trying to nurture with the legit content providers.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  13. mardukeme

mardukeme Member

I ended up getting the premium subscription a while ago on Noobroom which removes all the ads, and also gives you access to the faster premium servers. So never really had any problems with streaming. The main reason I prefer Noobroom is the video quality is all in HD. You can select between 720, or 1080 when watching a video. An recently they have been adding tv shows as well.

But I do like 1channel.app as well just get annoyed with the buffering some videos. If a movie is on 1channel and on noobroom as well. I prefer to watch it on noobroom because of no buffering issues and higher quality movies. Although 1channel has the latest films alot faster.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

14. unk

unk New Member

Catfish,

I kind of agree with you, but I don't think Google will succeed with Google TV by building a walled garden. Cable TV already offers that. People are buying these things precisely because they offer what cable tv doesn't. Google has a first mover advantage here, but the chinese sticks/tv boxes are evolving much faster than GoogleTV precisely because they aren't encumbered by such concerns. Crippling the platform intentionally will only drive people to other solutions. That being said, while I don't think Google is ever going to have good relationships with content rights holders, I don't think they should really care. The legal ramifications of offering the app are different, but I'm not even sure if the 1channel app is necessarily DMCA non-compliant. I wouldn't really be too unhappy though if they stopped hosting the app as long as they still allowed side-loading apps not from the Play Store. And what would they do with an app like 1channel that plugged into a usenet server?

Marmaduke,

When I was using Noobroom he was still developing the premium service so I only used it as a free user. I'm really impressed how the 1channel app deals with 180upload captcha. Its very well done and now that he's started labeling stream quality I have much fewer issues finding working servers. I rarely have buffering issues and usually stream 720p, but ymmv I'm sure.

15. CatfishRivers

Wasn't the allure of Boxee Box supposed to be it's "openness"? As you can see Boxee has all kinds of problems and wasn't very successful:

Boxee acquired by ? someone, announcement coming next week (exclusive) | VentureBeat

IMO GTV will not be a success if it's primary user base is using it to access "pirated content". Besides it rubs me the wrong way - as accessing pirated content is a form of "stealing". By supporting apps such as 1Channel "sleazy" developers make profit by linking to pirated content. It's legal to (only) link to it yeah - but IMO that doesn't make it right.

The reason GTV is adding hardware support for DRM with the GTV Jellybean update - is to try and entice "legit" content providers to make more apps for GTV. The lack of apps from REAL content providers is perhaps the most important issue facing GTV right now - and hardware support for DRM will erase some of the content providers concerns towards GTV devices.....

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  16. Chasmanian

Chasmanian Member

IMO, and I can speak firsthand about it because I was there from the beginning, the downfall of the Boxee box was their ultimate lack of concern for the needs and wants of the user base. The program, and the box both had a plethora of running problems and whatever developers they had weren't savvy enough to fix them. (the plugins were open. The box and program weren't.) XBMC, upon which Boxee was built, is still going strong despite its openness (and believe me there are plenty of grey area plugins for it. Piracy wasn't the culprit there and won't be the culprit here. The biggest problem facing gtv is its lack of content, as you say, but that's due more to the unwillingness of google to pay providers like Hulu the exorbitant licensing fees required to include their apps on the box. I'm not defending piracy here. In fact, I'm neutral. I just want people to know what really happened.

17. CatfishRivers

I didn't mean to imply that piracy is the only issue responsible for lack of apps on GTV. But IMO it is one issue among several. For instance the Amazon GTV app only runs on second generation hardware because the first generation GTV hardware didn't support the DRM that Amazon demanded to secure their content. Yes of course as you say it would only help GTV if Google opened up their wallet more for content. The fact that Google is adding hardware support for DRM with the Jellybean update supports my theory that content providers will be more likely to build apps for GTV if they feel their content is secure.

XBMC and grey-area apps will be nice for "android TV" devices - however Google has too many conflicting interests with legit content providers on YouTube, Google Play, etc for Google TV to be a big hit primarily as an "open box" supporting "grey-area apps". Android TV boxes made by the companies in China have no interests & concerns with content providers - and IMO they will be much more "open" than Google TV boxes ever will be...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  18. gr8birdie

gr8birdie New Member

if you pay for the app you can go into the settings and check the "use alternite site" and it should work fine. However, the only way to get to that option is to pay for the app and not use the free version

19. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

The developer should just remove the 'free' app that doesn't work leading to bad reviews and just have the paid version in the Play store

20. unk

unk New Member

I agree. I think having a broken app in the store and saying "trust me. Just pay for the app and it works." Is a dumb idea. It used to be that the free app worked but was limited to TV only. I don't know why he doesn't fix the listings for the free app. He's missing out on sales. The paid version does work really well but I understand if you don't believe me and aren't willing to fork over the cash to try it.