Quantcast

Antivirus, Malware Protection, IP Blocker

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Towelie, May 12, 2011.

1. Towelie

Towelie New Member

I'm a bit of a rookie on the GTV, but use it to surf every where for free shows and the sort. Is there a need for antivirus on this thing, or perhaps a malware protection software? doesn anyone know of any already in existence? any thoughts on the necessity of an IP blocker for p2p streams?

2. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

3. galfert

galfert Active Member

Google TV in its current version is pretty impossible to get a virus or malware. You can't install anything on it...so if you can't install anything on it then you can't install or run viruses either. Once the App Market opens then Google TV will be more vulnerable...but Google has protections that it has used to protect from bad programs that sneak into the market (only has happened once). It yet remains to be seen if side loading will be possible...I think it will be so that developers can test their applications.

4. Towelie

Towelie New Member

thanks fellas.

5. Towelie

Towelie New Member

how bout now? i downloaded bluepoint seurity app, but have no clue if this even works for the GTV. anyone?

I also noticed that NewEGG has a great price on malwarebytes right now for windows/linux. Would this work on GTV?

6. dzji

dzji New Member

Thanks!

7. MStrawder

MStrawder New Member

No, it is not necessary. Virus scanners and malware apps are virtually unnecessary on the Android platform. In all honesty though, what could the malware swipe other then your viewing history, unless you're doing online banking too? Viruses in the sense that we are used to in Windows have yet to surface on the Android OS.

• Like Like x 2
  8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You do have to careful of malware as the Android Market does open up the potential for downloading applications with trojans. Over the last year, several large-scale attacks have been detected in the Android Marketplace, including "HippoSMS" and "DroidDream", both of which endangered users' personal information by attempting to steal it. Google's Android "open market" structure allows app developers to upload their creations to the marketplace for just $25. Developers can remain also anonymous which is why hackers choose Android Market as the platform for their spyware instead of the iTunes app store.