Quantcast

Another Revue HDMI Connection issue..

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by polar99, Dec 1, 2011.

1. polar99

polar99 New Member

Hello,

I have read a lot of post about how to connect the revue to the TV. I believe I am more confused now.

My current setup is

STB Box [(motorola) DCT6416] HDMI --> Receiver [Onkyo TX-SR605] HDMI --> TV.

I also have the PS3 to my the receiver through HDMI.

If I insert the Revue in between the STB box and Receiver through HDMI, the STB box doesn't work because of the HDCP. I talked to the cable supplier and don't know anything about HDCP which is sad.

Now to circumvent the HDCP I have the TV connected directly to the Revue but the receiver is no longer the main hub which is unfortunate because the PS3 is connected to the receiver.

I could connect the optical audio to the receiver but the TV is no longer connected to the receiver which makes my PS3 useless.

Another note: my TV is mounted on the wall so I only have access to one HDMI connection. I purposely did this because I was planning to use the receiver as a HUB.

I have read post about an HDMI switch but it not clear to me if this would work for me.

Any other solution are appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Polar99

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

There are a few workarounds that you can implement to bypass this issue:
    • Use a digital optical cable to interconnect the AV Receiver. Since this output isn't govern by HDCP, it doesn't count it as separate hop.
    • Use a HDMI Splitter to diverge the HDMI output to the separate renders; video (television) and audio (receiver). However, this option is tricky as some HDMI splitters are represented as hop.
    • Use a Component to HDMI converter between the Comcast box and the next HDMI link. Since the Component outputs of the set-top box aren't supervised by HDCP, you won't have to worry about it interfering with connectivity.
    • Exchange the Comcast DVR/Cable box with Cable Cards and buy your own DVR or QAM Tuner like the Tivo Premiere. This will not only give you full control of how you configure your entertainment center but it may even save you on the monthly rental fees.
    This is the typical configuration that most people use to avoid the HDCP limitations which your service provider has imposed on them.

• HDMI cables: Comcast STB > Google TV device > Television
    • Optical Cable: Google TV device > AV Receiver

3. polar99

polar99 New Member

Thanks for the input.

For option 1 --> This option assumes that the receiver is not the main hub. Your point here is to get sound through the receiver. Is this correct?.
    For option 2 --> Can you recommend any splitter that is not considered a hop. It seems to me by your comment that through HDMI the video and audio are considered as 2 hops. Is this correct?.
    For option 3 --> I like this approach. Do you loose anything else other than the capability of getting 1080p from the STB?. Of course this assumes that the STB give you 1080p..Maybe in the future.
    For option 4 --> I have heard of CableCards but don't you loose the ability of video on demand?..

Thanks again,

Polar99

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad to help. Hopefully, my follow up answers are just as helpful.

Yes, instead of channeling the Comcast STB and the Revue through your AV Receiver, you'd be avoiding that extra hop to bypass the imposition from Comcast.

Unfortunately, I cannot there are quite a few posts in the various forums but no specific manufacturer or models were mentioned. At least, none that I can recollect.

The capability of receiving 1080p from your STB is dependent on any limitations that Comcast has placed in their firmware. There is no technological limitation which would prevent 1080p from being used over component. in fact, both my Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 uses component cables and displays 1080p appropriately. As I understand, most channel line providers will limit the output to 1080i for most content except for select On Demand HD programming anyways.

That depends on your channel provider and the type of CableCards that is compatible with your situation. As I understand TruWay CableCards can fully support the entire service including On Demand if the providers allows it. However, there aren't that many TruWay CableCard compatible devices and the specification does allow the your provider to implement the same HDCP restrictions as their own DVRs. I personally use standard CableCards with Time Warner, and I do not have access to the On Demand content. However, in the ten years I've never opted to use it, so it is no loss to me.

5. bukzin

bukzin New Member

What is HDCP?

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) is a protocol that runs over high-bandwidth interconnects like HDMI, DVI, and Display Port. It is only purpose is to prevent you from copying high quality content. It actually relinquish control of your AV Equipment to the channel line providers and other content providers. Personally, I think HDCP ruins the usefulness of HDMI.

Here is a video from one of my old friends to explain in a more friendly tone.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  7. bukzin

bukzin New Member

Is there any relationship between the HDFury and HDCP?

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

There is a relationship but I wouldn't necessary call it complimentary. You can read further information on their website, "HDfury.com – HDMI / HDCP".