Quantcast

Annoying promt to download new Chrome incompatible browser

Discussion in 'LG Internet TV' started by geoffreyh, Jan 26, 2014.

1. geoffreyh

geoffreyh New Member

Every time I open the Chrome browser I get an annoying prompt to download the latest version which is of course, incompatible with my 55 GA7900 TV.
    Is it beyond Google capabilities to check for compatibility before making annoying continuous useless prompts?
    The lack of separate volume control for App Notifications and lack of on-screen Visual Notifications since the so-called upgrade have still not been addressed months later. The Chrome browser continues much slower and more unstable than the desktop version originally installed.
    I hate Google!

2. retroben

retroben Active Member

I am curious how my GS7 findings would work on a JellyBean'd Google TV.
    Using seeder 2.0.0 and the benchmark exploit together could bode well on performance for JellyBean'd GTVs.

Us,Google TV owners,should make something BIG to tell Google that we want to replace the fuddy-duddy Android Chrome in the JellyBean update with the latest desktop version of Linux Chrome including the latest Flash plugin version available,full support for extensions,the HTML5 enhancements,and an option for the context menu including the missing "Long-press for view/save image/etc" feature which should include the all-important Flash settings context menu.
    They could even use NDK to improve the performance and stability of Linux Chrome substantially.
    Or they could just make a clean port of the latest Chrome for Linux while using NDK to improve it.

Otherwise,they could just let us keep a bug-fixed mod of the desktop version while still being able to install the Android equivalent.

• Like Like x 2
  3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hi. Try entering the following custom user agent string on your GTV:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/32.0.1667.0 Safari/537.36

This is how I do it on my Logitech Revue: Go to Chrome settings (the menu key) ------> Advanced settings ---------> Under the Hood ------------> Scroll down to where it says User Agent and check the box that says "Custom". Then enter (copy & paste) the user agent that I provided into the blank box and click OK. Then reboot your GTV.

4. guest

guest Active Member

How would the average Logitech Revue user benefit by using this "custom user agent" string that you recommend?

5. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

One of the benefits for me, when I had the Logitech Revue was that it made all the update your browser error msgs & redirects go away. I hate Gmail & w/out the User Agent String Catfish posted it was annoying using Outlook mail. I'd tried using "Desktop" and the other options but while it might work for a while it always caused something else to go haywire. The user string hasn't affected any webpages adversely. I use it now on my GS-7.

6. guest

guest Active Member

I don't have a problem with "update your browser error msgs & redirects". Anything else it's useful for?

7. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

No. If it ain't broke...

8. Marcellus

Marcellus New Member

I keep getting the same prompts to update my chrome browser. It's frustrating that the Play store lists the device as incompatible, even though that is clearly not the case. Anyone tried sideloading the latest version yet?

• Like Like x 2
  9. CatfishRivers

For those of you with the GTV Jellybean update - what version of Chrome are you on? You can find out that information here:

Whats My User Agent?

I had read that after the GTV Jellybean update the GTV Chrome browser is supposed to be on a 6 week update cycle. So hopefully LG will roll out a Chrome update soon that fixes this problem.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  10. CatfishRivers

11. ericd

ericd Active Member

• Like Like x 2
  12. CatfishRivers

Thanks Eric. For those that are interested I checked on Wikipedia and the current (stable) version of Chrome for Android is: 32.0.1700.99 - released on 16 January 2014; 12 days ago

• Like Like x 2
  13. ericd

ericd Active Member

Tried side-loading 32.0.1700.99. Crashes immediately.

In my version of Chrome (29.0.1547.62) there's no option to enter a custom user agent. I checked everywhere in settings, still can't find it

14. guest

guest Active Member

There's no clickable "wrench" to access the Developer Tools? If you can access the Developer Tools, you can change the user agent. How to Change Your Browser?s User Agent Without Installing Any Extensions

Also, user agents are changeable in the router, as well.

15. Marcellus

Marcellus New Member

I also tried it. Same result. And now there are two chrome apps on the TV, so I'll need to uninstall the new one.

16. guest

guest Active Member

Have you tried accessing the Developer Tools mentioned in my previous post? If you can, there shouldn't be any need to sideload the browser.

17. ericd

ericd Active Member

Sorry for the confusion, I was trying to cover 2 separate topics in 1 post.
    The first part, that Marcellus was talking about, is the inability to side-load the current version of Chrome and get it to work.

The second part, about the user agent in Chrome (v 29.0.1547.62), there is no wrench or "under the hood" link to click. What it has is the 3 vertical dots, which brings you to settings. From there, advanced< developer tools doesn't have an option for the user agent. I could be wrong and just missing a link somewhere, but I'm thinking this version of Chrome is specially built for GTV in an attempt to keep people from trying to access unauthorized content.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  18. guest

guest Active Member

Could you achieve what you're trying to do this way? Google TV's don't have have a setting for using a VPN (Virtual Private Network). But depending on what router you are using, you can use a VPN with GTV. The setting is in the router. Routers also have a User Agent field. If you entered your preferred Custom User Agent in the router settings, would that work? So the GTV is operating from your current generic user agent. As information is passed through the router, will there be an "on-the-fly" conversion to your custom user agent? I don't know. It's worth a try.

• Like Like x 2