Quantcast

Android TV Set Top Box Passes The FCC

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, May 17, 2011.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

2. CatfishRivers

3. CatfishRivers

4. CatfishRivers

This Chinese company called "Artway Technology" also has an android 2.2 set-top box that looks very similar to the Geniatech android 2.2 boxes: http://www.artwaytech.com/product.php?id=80 I'm wondering if this Artway Technology could be the same company as Geniatech (with a different subsidiary or something)???

5. CatfishRivers

A bit more about the new android 2.2 set-top box from Consumer Reports. You can add an SD card to expand memory to 32 GB. There are five different models. The top model has a TV tuner and a hard drive bay. What I would be a bit apprehensive about is how well the web browser works. It says the box has a "Google web browser". So what exactly does that mean? Android TV is here, confusing those looking for Google TV

6. CatfishRivers

I just came across this today - NAXA Electronics, Inc. will also be putting out an android 2.2 tv set-top box. The suggested retail price will be $199 and it's due out in June. I wonder if NAXA will be getting the product from Geniatech? I looked on NAXA's web page and it says that their headquarters is in Vernon, CA and they have an office in mainland China and Hong Kong. Hmmm. NAXA Unveils Google TV Device - 2011-05-24 20:00:00 | TWICE

7. CatfishRivers

I came across this today - it's an android 2.2 tv set top box now shipping (on sale) for $129.99 plus shipping cost. It ships from China and shipping is aprox. $25 to USA. I'm not sure if this is the same box manufactured by Geniatech? I noticed some good and bad things. It only has an 800 Mhz ARM processor (although it says it can do 1080P HD). The good: it already has Android market, works with Xvid & DivX codecs, less expensive than Google TV. Although I believe for this price it just includes a hand-held remote and not a full keyboard. I have no idea how good (or bad this thing works). It might be a pain trying to return it to China if it doesn't work good: Android TV Box - Google Android Internet TV Set-Top Box

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  8. CatfishRivers

There is a long thread on androidforums.com (over 50 posts) about an android 2.2 tv set-top box. Several of the posters bought the box and share their feedback about it here: Android Tv Box Flexiview FV-1 - Android Forums

Note: I just read the thread further and there are videos posted of the box in operation.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  9. FA1321

FA1321 New Member

With the death of the Revue this thread needs a bump! Anymore folks have input on these Andriod TV boxes? ATSC tuner is something I would like to see added to them.

10. CatfishRivers

I did a search on Amazon for "android TV box" - and there are several different ones being offered on Amazon now. I looked at 4 or 5 of them - and there are hardly any user reviews posted yet. I only saw one review and it said the WiFi didn't work.

Amazon.com: android tv box: Electronics

11. CatfishRivers

12. CatfishRivers

I found this article and video interview about the Chinese Geniatech android boxes on ArmDevices.net:

"Shenzhen Geniatech shows a pretty impressive ARM Cortex-A9 AmLogic (Single Core 800Mhz) Set-top-box which they have told me can actually be sold in bulk starting at $70, here I interview their product manager about their status, where they want to bring this product, if he thinks they could be getting Google TV software for this."

Geniatech explains their AmLogic Cortex-A9 Single Core Set-top-box - ARMdevices.net

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  13. CatfishRivers

This is some further information about the ARM A9 single core processor in the Geniatech android boxes. The speed is quoted on the Geniatech product information pages as 800 Mhz.

Cortex-A9 Processor - ARM

Any thoughts on if this is a good enough processor? I'm wondering because the Revue has the 1.2 Ghz Intel processor and sometimes it seems a bit slow. Perhaps there is more involved than just a pure speed comparison?

-------------------

And here is the Amlogic web page for their Smart TV SoC - that utilizes the ARM Cortex A9 (I'm not sure if this is the exact same AmLogic ARM chip that's in the Geniatech boxes - but this is the chip AmLogic currently shows on their web site) AmLogic says the speed is "up to 1 Ghz"

http://www.amlogic.com/product01.htm

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  14. CatfishRivers

There is a thread in the Android forums about the Geniatech android TV boxes. Apparently the box is having trouble playing Flash videos from YouTube and some videos from some TV catch-up sites (an Australian site was mentioned).

Geniatech Enjoy TV - Android Forums

15. TREYR

TREYR New Member