Quantcast

Android TV Dongle - Finally another option

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by derekcentrico, Jun 1, 2012.

1. derekcentrico

derekcentrico New Member

I thought this is worth placing on over here.

A little news blip hit my Google Reader subscription yesterday. For some reaon, I opened up the site out of curiosity. ​

There appears to be a some-to-be-released TV dongle with Android's ICS running on it. The release date seems to be October 2012.​

kickstarter.com/projects/484889112/the-pocket-tv-makes-any-tv-a-smart-tv​

Anyway, I went ahead and put in for the $135 option to get the Dongle with the gyroscope remote. Looks fun to say the least.​

I love my Logitech Revue, but this will give me full access to video apps like Hulu and others that are not supported with Google TV.​

Hope you all find it as interesting as I have.

Unfortunately, I do not have the level of posts to permit URLs. I'm just a follower of threads. :D

2. ColmARocK

ColmARocK New Member

If I have one of those dongle I would mount it in the revue's hdmi input.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

3. derekcentrico

derekcentrico New Member

Valid point. I really considered just removing my GTV and replacing it with this. But, I don't have a set-top so that might work...

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Another option that I'm considering - is the upcoming Google Nexus tablet. If it's priced at $199 with a Tegra 3 multi-core processor and cameras (as rumored) - that would seem like a good deal - and hook it up to my TV. These android dongles run a single core ARM processor with a speed of approximately 1GHz (which is inferior to the Tegra 3) - plus these dongles are usually sold from online retailers in China. If there's a problem - it might be a hassle sending it back to China (or getting good support). Just my opinion.

I'm going to wait and see what the specs, prices, and features of the new GTV boxes are - before I decide on anything. Hopefully by September Sony and Vizio will release their new GTV boxes.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  6. derekcentrico

derekcentrico New Member

I went ahead and put in for one of these devices. GTV is cool, but it lacks a lot of support for many internet video apps. The dongle will resolve that.

It really isn't as glorious as you might think to hook up a tablet to the TV rather than just having something dedicated to it. I have the Transformer Prime. It works okay, though sometimes sluggish, but the audio transmission never comes across well. So tablets are neat to plug in for occasional things, but for day-to-day use there needs to be something dedicated.

My intention is to hold off for another two years on any other GTV device. If it continues to grow and take off, I'll get a 3D TV with it baked in. Otherwise, I'm very skeptical. Love it, but my demand isn't enough to entice great, large-scale investment.

7. ChrisG8

Earlier the discussion was about these devices running TI Dual Cortex-A9 OMAP 4 (1 to 1.8GHz), that didn't happen?

8. derekcentrico

derekcentrico New Member

I'm not following the statement. This device has not been released yet. It's a Kickstarter funding project. Its documentation on the Kickstarter site states that it will have the "1GHZ ARM Cortex A9" CPU.

9. CatfishRivers

Chris are you referring to the android TV dongle/devices - or are you referring to the upcoming Google Nexus tablet?

I'm not sure what was written previously - however from my observations most all of these android TV devices run a single core ARM chip that is clocked at approx. 1 GHz. There is a new article today that suggests (it's not confirmed yet) that the upcoming Google Nexus tablet will run a quad core Tegra 3 processor clocked at 1.3 GHz:

Latest Google Asus Nexus tablet rumors: Quad-core Tegra 3 inside, to be given away at I/O conference | ZDNet

10. ChrisG8

The Android TV dongle was supposedly going to use a TI Dual Cortex-A9 OMAP 4 (1 to 1.8GHz) but it doesn't matter, the thing is DOA for use in the US unless I am missing something.

11. ChrisG8

That might be a good place to store it while it isn't being used but I sure wouldn't expect any added functionality from it in that setup or any interaction between devices.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  12. derekcentrico

derekcentrico New Member

You're confusing this device with one of the many different prototypes from other companies.

How does this render it DOA?

I'm sure if it's funded we'll see revisions with more spec offerings. I'm glad to see a neat startup out there.

13. ColmARocK

ColmARocK New Member

I would be able to browse into the pip window will Im watching netflix, or streaming a video on the pip window will Im browsing on my gtv.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

14. derekcentrico

derekcentrico New Member

True. But there are issues with audio pass through so streaming or playing some premium codecs could fall victim to quality issues via GTV.

15. ChrisG8

I didn't say it would render it DOA, I said it doesn't matter because it is DOA for use in the country, the processor it uses is rather irrelevant but the original discussion about such a device I followed many months ago used the processor I referred to. It may be that discussion was about a different Android TV dongle that never made it past the discussion stages. I don't think Android TV can do anything but further confuse an already confused marketplace and if any Android based smart TV devices are to succeed, I sure hope it is Google TV.

16. CatfishRivers

What do you think of this android 4.0 device compared to the other device mentioned by OP?

Pseudo-Google TV goes on Sale For £55 | ITProPortal.com

The article lists the price in Euro - but it's equivalent to $78 USA. It comes with an ARM processor clocked at 1.5 GHz (according to the article). This android TV device comes from China (as do most others). I noticed that the device mentioned by the original poster comes from Dubai, UAE.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  17. ChrisG8

It is difficult to know much but if it is supports Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, Amazon Prime Instant Video, Vudu, YouTube and Crackle, it would be something I would want. If as I suspect it will be locked out of all of those, I don't see much value. I didn't see what kind of remote is included.