Quantcast

Android TV Device With HDMI Pass-thru

Discussion in 'Android TV' started by gbeardmore, Mar 9, 2015.

1. gbeardmore

gbeardmore New Member

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Ha, well Skipr is new to me and I am skeptical. It needs 2GB RAM is the only suggestion I can make if Skipr reads this forum.

3. Travel

Travel Active Member

Ya, the "new standard" would seem to be the Nvidia Shield with the killer chips, and 3 GB RAM for $199. Even the ForgeTV box looks like it's headed for obsolete status before it's even released.

There has been plenty of discussion on this forum about whether it was feasible for a manufacturer to produce that kind of power (Nvidia Shield) for a competitive price point. If the Nvidia Shield delivers (and with timely updates/support), it's been done.

The focus of all the new Android boxes is to break into the huge gamer market for manufacturer/product viability into the future.

This Flipr box looks like a fringe product, because, it isn't just the overlay that's important, it's what else it -can't- do to consider. Browser, updates , codecs, audio/video support, Google Play Store. The list is endless. If it isn't vaporware, it'll vaporize, anyway.

I'd have no problem hookng up a Nvidia Shield with the Sony GS7 on separate AV receiver, HDMI connections. For $199 and ethernet, I'm in.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  4. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Skipr is trying to create a box that will make commercials go away from live TV, but seems to me a DVR based solution is the way to go. I'd rather just press 30sec skip 6x than listen to 3 minutes of music or whatever they have in mind.

But yes, 2GB of RAM would be nice, and what also would be nice is a better idea of how they'd leverage the passthrough capability. The PrimeTime app in GTV was nice and while it could control a TV or AVR, what it really needed to be useful for me was integration with my DVR and the ability to control it all with my Universal remote.

5. ChrisG8

A universal remote is terrible in my opinion for smart TV functions, a keyboard is necessary for me. I have a Harmony 900 sitting next to me but for smart TV, TiVo and AVR control, I never touch it, the Logitech K700 through Google TV handles all of that. When I veer away from those devices, I use the Harmony remote for Apple TV or Roku or SACD/DVD-A (Oppo player). No more than I use Roku or Apple TV, those could be retired but my preferred tiny niche music formats are never going to be covered by a smart TV device.

6. guest

guest Active Member

Will either of these remote controls meet your needs?

1) SPIN remote - The Simplest most Stylish remote ever. by SPIN remote B.V. Kickstarter

2) AnyMote Home Your Phone The Ultimate Universal Remote by Color Tiger Kickstarter

7. ChrisG8

I don't think those remotes are for me but I can see enough were interested that the Kickstarter projects were funded. The chances either product succeeds are not very good in my opinion.

8. jonw747

I can use a hard button remote with one hand without looking at it. It's nice to have a keyboard if I need to type something, but I'd rather not have to type something - which is why I'd like to see voice search standardized so it can be built in to universal remotes.

Of course it doesn't bother me in the least if a device supports a full-size keyboard or any other sort of input device, but the market needs to hit the sweet spot, which is making do with a simple remote with the option to integrate it with other equipment with support for 3rd party universal remotes in case the end-user can't get what they want to get done with the supplied remote.

9. jonw747

10. guest

guest Active Member

If your drafting/design skills are up to it, create a virtual remote control here Custom Online CNC Machine Shop Free CAD Software and then solicit funds to manufacture it on Kickstarter - with a compelling description of the "revolutionary" remote control that you want to build!

11. ChrisG8

As far as I know, voice search isn't advancing quickly enough to be ready to replace a keyboard anytime soon for me but I could use it if it does. From playing with voice search some, I don't think Amazon Fire TV even improved on Google TV voice search, probably a step backwards but neither come close to replacing a keyboard for me, for fast search, web browsing, forum participation or anything else where I want to communicate something to the box.

12. jonw747

It works very well for many things I do, but the things I tend to do involve searching for media/videos/music. In other words, I believe my usage is closer to the "use case" for the feature than perhaps yours is. Where it fails for me is simply where some of my sources are not hooked in, but these would be the same areas where a text search would come up short as well - so it's not a unique problem to voice.

Of course, I'm typing this reply on a desktop PC. A streaming box would have to evolve a long-way to convince me to use it instead of my PC (or even a phone/tablet) for any reason other than convenience (ex: I'm already sitting in front of the TV).

13. thedude

thedude Member

As much as I want pass thru to replace my crippled Revue I think this model of TV consumption is on its way out.

We can already integrate stuff like HD Homerun to get live TV on Android TV (and lots of other devices).

I'm actually really excited about Sony's Playstation Vue service. If they get DC lit I'll likely kill my traditional tv service and never look back. Apple is rumored to be prepping a service like this so perhaps Google will too at some point...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

14. n1nj4Lo

n1nj4Lo Member

What's everyone's thoughts of the Zidoo X9?

15. ChrisG8

I don't have any experience with the Zidoo X9 but based on reviews I have read, I would say it is junk. It allegedy records from the HDMI input which is interesting although not legal, at least in the US, probably not legal anywhere.

Zidoo X9 Android Media Player and Recorder Sells for $100 (Promo)

Zidoo X9 Android Media Player Review

The hardware is not exciting although I don't have any experience with the MStar chip being used.

16. n1nj4Lo

n1nj4Lo Member

Figured as much at it being Crap, I mean it being a Generic ChinAndroid device go figure. LoL

I couldn't be happier with my HiSense 55H6SG Android Google Tv 3rd Gen (Or unofficial 3rd Gen GTV) I even got Hulu Plus working by using the XDA Modified Landscape APK and then a must was Logitech Unifier and Revue Keyboard.

17. ChrisG8

Interesting mod to your Hisense Smart TV, I didn't know that was possible, it is probably better overall than the other Google Android TVs in terms of smart TV functions. I also use the Logitech Revue keyboard with Google TV, the best controller I have found for my smart TV needs.

18. n1nj4Lo

n1nj4Lo Member

Oh yes it's a lot better the only stupid thing is the default HiSense Launcher scrambles your App Drawer list, no order at all or way of ordering and arranging them, unless ya use a 3rd party launcher, which I found GTV 3rd Party Launchers work great for it.

Also XBMC and TVMC (Unofficial XBMC Addons for Kodi XBMC already setup with free channels) works perfectly in it too only thing I did to TVMC was add a custom repo for UFC and Wrestling PPV's.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  19. n1nj4Lo

n1nj4Lo Member

20. jonw747

TiVo is doing a nice job integrating TV/DVR/streaming in to one box. Their OnePass feature is pretty neat.

In terms of channels, it can't compare with the dedicated streaming boxes; but for the services it does support (primarily Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, YouTube) it's integrated and usable.

They have a website that acts as a streaming hub for subscribers and non-subscribers alike:

http://online.tivo.com/