Quantcast

Android TV coming up

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by stargoogly, Jun 6, 2014.

1. stargoogly

stargoogly New Member

It seems Google will be releasing Android TV platform in I/O conference this month. I wonder if it's an end of Google TV platform and devices?

It would be nice if the new platform is compatible with the existing Google TV devices. Don't know what plans Vizio have about it.

2. Jarhead

Jarhead Member

They said long ago that Google TV is dead.

3. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

If anyone remembers webtv/msntv as I do,if they were smart..they'd have done the same thing,keep our existing boxes and just update us all to version4..
    that way we would all get the update just change names. :)

Here's to being wishful anyway

4. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

stargoogly I was thinking the same thing,with the B03 being the newer of the boxes,same as the VAP just spiffier name,to quote someone at Vizio :)

5. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Google releasing? You mean like they released the update to GTV? It's just more of their betaware stuff.

6. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

How is this the end of Google TV? I am still using a PS3 after the PS4 was released, everything still works as it always did and I understand it won't be updated to become a PS4 but that isn't the end of the PS3. I plan to continue to use Google TV after Android TV is released, if Android TV is released. If Android TV is better, I might switch to Android TV but I see nothing that makes me think it will be better for my needs, in fact, it looks like it will lack things I want that I can do with Google TV. It doesn't appear Android TV boxes will have HDMI input for starters. There is no chance Google TV models will be updated to become Android TV and run all of the Android TV apps but some Android TV apps might run just fine on Google TV, we will have to wait and see.

7. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

When did they say that? Last summer they were promising an upgrade to it? This is a company that should be taken with a grain of salt.

Philip

8. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

Chris that makes two of us, the new gen boxes have Marvell chipsets so what's the deal?
    These should have more room to grow,and more to boogie!

Not sure why we need android TV.I do have to give vizio high marks,for their awesome
    efforts. Only wish they'd update to jb or kk and beyond

9. ronnycopeh

ronnycopeh Member

I do have to say I love my Costar and it does all I need it to, I only wish I could get WatchEspn to run as a app but I'll take running thru Playon that has HD and shows beautiful! Playon and Plex are the best!