Quantcast

Android Tablet or Phone Mirroring

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by JimM, Apr 5, 2013.

1. JimM

JimM New Member

Let me describe a vegetative weeknight after a long day of work. My spouse and I are sitting on the sofa in the living room... the dog is lying on the middle cushion between us. TV is on in the background showing anything from a common guilty pleasure of "Judge Judy" to Dr Who to Antique Roadshow to who knows what. We are multi-tasking...chatting about the day while also likely catching up on email, facebook, a social game, linked-in, or leftover work from work. We each have an Android tablet in reach to do stuff like that. Before you ask... yes, we are talking to each other, playing with the dog, interacting, etc... !

But... often we might see something in our multi-tasking on the tablets we wish to share with each other. We could read it aloud or pass the respective tablet across the dog who will, of course, lift up his head to put a nose print on the screen on the way across the sofa.... Kind of like a passport stamp!

So why am I writing all this? I am looking for an application that eliminates dog snot on my tablet screen! But since a mechanical screen cleaner/wiper is not currently envisioned on kickstarter, I think prevention is likely a better approach.

Since we have a GTV box, I would very much like a screen mirroring utility which could work on ANY android app or screen. I know I can fling a webpage, picture, or video with ease from the tablet and those solutions work well. But not everything has that capability. I can envision a "perfect" solution being a utility type program which sits in the notification area that toggles screen mirroring to my Google TV box. Something like tap the notification to share ANYTHING on the screen and tap again to end. The cherry on top would be to send automatic pause/resume commands to my DVR at the same time. Multiple devices on the network would also be supported.

So, anyone have this? Anyone want to develop it? Anyone still reading??

Thanks!
    Jim

2. dtaylor

dtaylor Member

Check out WiDi/Miracast. It's currently supported on the latest LG Google TV sets(GA7900 & GA6400). You can also purchase WiDi/Miracast adapters that plug into your HMDI input. You'll need a phone or tablet that supports Miracast also, which is currently limited, but becoming more common. LG, Sony, and Samsung have mobile devices that support it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracast
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WiDi

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2