Quantcast

Android Open Source Project

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by guest, Nov 18, 2013.

1. guest

guest Active Member

Greetings.

I've been researching tablets the past few days using phonearena's excellent tablet-finder-filter Phone Finder and Compare . One of the tablets that met my criteria was the discontinued Motorola Xoom. Checking on Amazon, I came across the following customer review:

"Xoom is indeed a great platform. Just be warned Motorola has discontinued this model. Google has removed it from the AOSP device list. As of now 4.1.2 is the last OS update Xoom will get. Yes I own one. Purchased 6-5-2012 from another online retailer and updated to ICS out of the box and thru 4.0.3 it was great. Since Jellybean hit its been a downhill slide ending in a shallow grave for what was once the launch platform for the the tablet version of Google's OS. Google OWNS Motorola yet ASUS manufactures the Nexus 7, Samsung the Nexus 10 tablets and the Nexus 4 phone is manufactured by LG. Feel free to search Google for information about the current status of official system updates for this platform. There is a large community of ROM developers for the Xoom but official system updates by the manufacturer and the manufacturer's owner (Google) has stopped.

It is still a good platform but it is nearing the end. It is still well suited for media / browsing or some games, but that won't last and some high end gfx effects in certain games require a better processor / video chipset already.

I'm hoping Google will put Motorola on developing the next generation on Nexus 10, it would be nice to have some development done here, though not much tech is manufactured on US soil anymore."

Amazon.com: Senior Dumas' review of MOTOROLA XOOM Android Tablet (10.1-Inch, 3... .

AOSP stands for Android Open Source Project Android Developers , but I can't find any mention of a such a Device List after a Google search. Is anyone familiar with such a list? If it can be located, my GTV, the Logitech Revue, shouldn't be on the list either as it's been "discontinued" as well.

Google's been playing fast and loose with this technology, as well as the public's hard-earned dollars. Customer makes purchase, then finds out a year or two later that a particular device can't be updated (or are buggy after said update) - 1st generation GTV's, this Motorola Xoom and I'm even reading about the latest Samsung Tab 3 10.1" Tablet, via Amazon reviews, that worked fine with ICS, but is now experiencing a number of problems with JellyBean!

Anyone ever heard of the AOSP Device List?

2. guest

guest Active Member

Check out the comparison grid at the bottom of this Wikipedia article, Samsung Galaxy Note series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia For example, on the Operating System line, the Galaxy Note II was sold with OS 4.1, but it is upgradeable to OS 4.3. But the Galaxy Note 8.0 was sold with OS 4.1, but it is upgradeable to only OS 4.2.

Do GTV's have their upgrade limitations stamped on the product packaging or in the written documentation? I bet they don't!

It's good to know what are the limitations of what you are purchasing. Not everything will be upgradeable to KitKat and beyond. Some devices, not even to Jellybean.

The Device List mentioned earlier should document the upgrade limitations of all Android devices - if someone can locate it.