Quantcast

Android Market installing uninstalling apps does work as aspected

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by x586, Jan 9, 2012.

1. x586

x586 New Member

So I've been playing with the TV ( NSX40GT1) all day and the apps from market never seem to finish installing or uninstalling, there has to be something I'm missing. Examples: I tried to install Steampunk clock Flie Expert and AdFree Android each one would say: 'it will be installed shortly' and I would come back to 10-45 later and it would still say installing if i go to 'myapps' they would be listed there, but would not run, but did have the option to uninstall. And the same thing in reverse it would say: 'uninstalling...' for the next 20 minutes at which point I'd be tired of waiting and go try something else.

It seams very straight forward except it doesn't seem to work.

A little background on me: I'm coming from microsoft going all the way back to dos 3.0. The size of my linux experience installing it once every other year and using a few of the basic apps. I don't have an android phone. I pretty good with networking, have my own wired Gb network and dell 2950 windows server 2008 R2, member of technet etc... (not bragging here just giving background).

This tv makes little logical since to me, there are few to no indicators of what it is doing, no visible way to check a log or anything else. The help on sony for this is virtually useless, it's like plug and pray from the old days, everything is supposed to be automatic and easy, but when something doesn't work there is nothing to indicate anything all.

2. odsamuels

odsamuels New Member

I have had similar issues, but for me the app usually does work when I try it on my own and 9 times out of 10 I do get the notification over in the notification window that it was installed successfully even though the wording doesn't change from "Installing..." on the market screen.

What I would suggest for the next time that happens, is to go into the App management settings and Force stop, clear the cache and then uninstall and try re-installing it giving it good enough time.

P.S. Do you have notifications turned off per chance?

3. x586

x586 New Member

No I did not turn off notifications. I Just tried again to install File Expert and it said installing for well over 20 minutes I just left sitting there. After that I was tired of waiting and went into the myappz and it was there and I had the options to see details open or uninstall. I tried open and I get the message 'there was problem try again later.'

4. odsamuels

odsamuels New Member

Is this from the market place? or a side load?

5. x586

x586 New Member

Andriod Market

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yeah, welcome to the Android. lol.

I suspect that you're having a problem with either the application cache or DNS servers.
    1. Try GTV Settings > Applications > Manage Application then perform a Force Stop followed by a Clear Data for Market, Market Feedback Agent, Market Updater. Once your done with all three, pressing [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Del] to reboot it and try again.
    2. Otherwise, try Using Google Public DNS. Your ISP's DNS cache servers can be serving you outdated DNS entries.

I wonder, do you remember when overclocking meant actually replacing the crystal instead of flipping turbo switch or adjusting a setting in the BIOS? I remember back in my heyday, the first overclock I did was on a Mitel PC. That's back when you had to carefully desolderer and replace the 4Mhz crystal with a 8Mhz one. I remember sweating bullets and anxiously anticipating for it to fail. However, it gave me twice the performance on an old 8088 processor. Heh, heh. Those were the good old days.

7. x586

x586 New Member

I have had DNS issues with my ISp in the past so I plug in my own on my PC so thats a great idea, will let you know. the crystals were just before I got started When I got interested in PC's it was the 286 and jumpers. my 1st overclock,(though i did not know it was called overclcocking and i was jacking the bus speed up to 40Mhz). BTW this doesn't show a curser or allow arrow keys or even mouse movement when editing the text. it's very disconcerting to not be able to move the cursor and fix all my typos.

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Google luck. I hope it works out for you.

Hehe. Jumpers! I take it then your forum handle is homage to the fifth generation of the x86 chips, the Intel Pentium processor or AMD K5.

I view surfing on a TV as a novelty. It is something that gets old pretty quick. I prefer to have a tablet or netbook as a second screen while watching TV. Don't get me wrong its great for finding alternative content to watch on a big screen. It's just not something I would use to actually "surf". There's just way too many limitations.

Although, there are quite a few hardcore people here who use Google TV as a substitution to having a computer or tablet.

9. x586

x586 New Member

"I view surfing on a TV as a novelty. It is something that gets old pretty quick. " absolutely but don't ignore the other side of the screen. large displays with independant information and tracking is valuable. 85% of the time I want 1 screen. but some times I use 3, and some times i want a second source to validate the 1st. This where something the like google TV can replace a second traditional PC.

For me I'm trying to add a second limited fuctionality pc with the majority of it's use being entertaintainment. So while i don't expect everthing to work as well dos, I do expect 90% of the advertised features features to work 90% of the time. So far the only app I found that just works is Netflix.

Yea AMD x586 overclocked out ran the entire 1st gen pentium line and was the 1st computer I bought and built myself.

10. odsamuels

odsamuels New Member

Dude you go WAYYY back... I don't go that far back, but it did give me warm memories of my Tandy 1000 days, of 300 baud modems, BBSes, ANSI graphics and smokey IRC chat rooms. ;)

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yeah, I used to be a huge geek back than. Even learned how to whistle the handshake for low baud modems. OMG. I still have a Timex Sinclair and its computer tape drive some where in my storage unit. Now THAT was the a laptop computer. lol.

12. odsamuels

odsamuels New Member

LOL! I thought I was the only one that did that whistling thing! Ahhh... the good ole days!

13. x586

x586 New Member

So I been out all day and just started messing with it this evening and now everything seems to work. I made no changes. Its as if nothing works the 1st time no matter what you do. However you turn the tv off and leave it over night and tomorrow it starts working. It's possessed.

14. odsamuels

odsamuels New Member

It's prolly just shy.