Quantcast

Android Headliner: What Happened to Google-TV?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by ulises1954, May 12, 2014.

1. ulises1954

ulises1954 Member

2. alan93

alan93 Member

Its true, a tv that grew into dinosaur status in the lightning speed of 2 years.

3. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

I don't agree with his statement regarding Chromecast and Google TV. Chromecast is a toy. Google TV had real potential to contribute to the entertainment space. Too bad Google messed it up. Be hard to every trust them again when it comes to TV.

4. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Chromecast is hardly a toy, it's just that it's more of an accessory to an Android phone or tablet. It works well, and they recently added screencasting for certain models of phones & tablets, Albeit in Beta form, and a little glitchy, it still performed better than other devices I own that claim to support "Miracast".

It's often a mistake to trust any device to do something it doesn't do well out of the box. Chromecast was too cheap to care, but we're getting more use out of it.

5. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Well toy may be pushing it but I have never had a player that has gotten so little use. The only interesting thing about it was rooting it. I am biased against devices that require a smart device to use. In addition, the last time I tried it there were so many limitations on the types of files it could handle. Plex kept having to transcode everything. AirPlay is quite a bit more reliable but I don't really use that a lot either except for photos and music.

The big plus was the price of Chromecast. It was in the almost free category ( with the Netflix offer).

I do agree with you that it is more of an accessory to an Android tablet/phone. At first the Apple TV was similar.

I will give Google kudos for the packaging of Chromecast.

I am tired of beta products and that is all I have ever experienced with Google products ( Chromecast, NSZ-GS7, Revue- not including my Fire TV which is great nor my Samsung Wacom based tablets which work fine).

I have a hard time being unbiased when it comes to Google since I truly despise ads.

Philip

6. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

I am as well, but I do own smart phones and tablets, and the ability to get something easily off the device on to a TV is something I find useful.