Quantcast

Android 4.2 coming soon.....

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by herculese1, Dec 3, 2013.

1. herculese1

herculese1 New Member

Hey guys. Im sorry if this has already been posted but im thinking about getting a second Costar for another tv in my house. While doing so i have been thinking about when or if this new update will ever come. after a quick google search i found this: LG Google TV update drops Flash but delivers more Play Store apps

Apparently LG tv's already have the update! I would imagine that that means this is now out of google's hands and in Vizio's hands? Now that i see it exists i want to make sure my next google tv box that i buy has the ability to update to 4.2 so any insight on this would be great.

Other notes: I see all of the hate towards this device on these posts and i must say i got one of the first models available and i had to have it replaced. when i got my replacement i bought a usb fan (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0070ZHY6G/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)that i keep under the costar and is powered by the costar usb port to keep it cool and i have had no issues at all. I would be lost if i had to go back to not using the googletv/Prime Time guide. Also i use plex and the interface is great and works flawlessly (ive used th eruku version of plex and it really cant touch googletv's version. The only downside i see is that the play store doesnt have a great selection of apps but i believe that will be fixed with the android 4.2 update. there would be almost no need to try to get chrome to stream videos when we would be able to just download the app like hbogo, watchespn, or xfinitygo and much more.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I believe it is up to Vizio to get the Co-Star updated to Android 4.2.2 now but I haven't seen anything from Vizio regarding if or when it will happen. I agree Google TV is a great Plex client, I only recently started using Plex and it is really designed well.

3. Sparky

Sparky New Member

I spoke with Vizio and they suggested they had nothing to do with the update. Figures the usual thing that happens when a product is on the way out, no accountability. I am not hopefull that the costar will get the update unless it comes from a third party developer.

4. ChrisG8

It may be that Google has agreed to provide updates for the Co-Star but I sure thought that Google would provide only the basic 4.2.2 operating system and it would be up to each manufacturer to adapt that to their specific model. The Co-Star is unique in many ways, no IR from the box, IR from the remote and the UI is different and I can't imagine any of that was Google's doing, those things had to be Vizio's choice. I will say the Vizio representative you spoke with was wrong, they have the Google software and the rest is up to Vizio which probably means nothing will become of it.

5. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

A friend of mine has the newer Sony GTV with blu ray,and he'd told me they're still waiting too..something's not right!!
    I thought out of the gate they said "newer arm boxes will get the updates alot sooner"...well its later,so what happened there?lol

6. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Which newer Sony GTV with Blu-Ray might that be?

Philip

7. ChrisG8

His friend must live in a parallel universe or was a beta tester for the unreleased Sony NSZ-GP9 or he is mistaken and owns the only Sony Blu-ray with Google TV to date, the NSZ-GT1 and I don't know anybody that believes that will get the update to Android 4.2.2. I guess he might have one of the Sony models without Blu-ray and is mistaken in that case about the Blu-ray but not mistaken about waiting for the update.

8. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

I'll ask him,its either the GS7 or 8..don't quote me on that..whichever one of the newer sony boxes that came with the Marvel,is all I know.

9. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

Chris,personally I don't see why if I went with Sony,why I'd get one with a blu ray...think about it..its just something else that would need to be returned if it went down..if your blu ray goes bad,you send back the whole unit? nah I for one am staying put with vizio,or until someone else "blinks",and comes out with one that has 4.2.2. or higher down the road..down the decade for all we know! lol feels like devu with msntv all over again..we were promised better,it seemed to be "okay maybe an update next week",and next week it never came?

hope they get this one resolved

10. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

Sparky,I do admit one good thing came out of going Vizio..their wait music boogies..none of that "ho hum" elevator music..
    but they're awfully happy I've got the bases covered,Vizio 3DTV,Vizio Blu ray,and a Vizio Co-star(B03)

11. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

The GS7 and 8 are identical with the exception of the remote. They are the 2nd generation product from Sony, and neither has a Blu-ray player. Sony cancelled that product. It was never sold.

philip

12. Greenenergyassessors

Greenenergyassessors New Member

I've got fed up waiting for the update. I've recently bought a box with xbmc on already.

The Little Black Box

With the UK courts cracking down recently, xbmc has become an even more important.

13. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

What does XBMC have to do with UK courts?

Philip

14. Greenenergyassessors

Greenenergyassessors New Member

A bit of a hangover statement from me. Apologies.
    What I meant to say was I watch a lot of sport so I wanted Sportsdevil. I find xbmc has the software I wanted rather than what I have on Google. I waited for the update, it hasn't happened so I went elsewhere.

15. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

If you ever saw willy wonka and the chocolate factory,remember when he said,"I doubt if there is any chocolate!"....I'm beginning to have that same feeling about an update,as if to say "I doubt there is any update".

I came to Vizio Co-star in good faith to try something new other than the Revue..wow..not much progress has really been made.
    If there was another update or minor updates since I went to the isg b03...I'm not seeing anything new.