Quantcast

Android 3.1 Coming to GoogleTV & Logitech Revue In August

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by BLACKTOOTHGRIN, Jun 20, 2011.

1. BLACKTOOTHGRIN

BLACKTOOTHGRIN New Member

Hey Everyone,

I had an extensive talk with Logitech on Friday.
    They said that the new Android OS will be released in late August,
    and that GoogleTV and the Logitech Revue will then have access to all of the Android market.

That being said, let's just hope there will be some worthwhile Apps for this thing.
    As it is right now...I don't think it's worth it's weight in s**t.
    Even so, I went ahead and purchased one just because the manager assured me that the Apps for this devise should open it up quite a bit.
    Plus...I get tired of sitting at my desk when just doing general web browsing.
    Sitting on my couch in front of a big screen will be alot better either way.
    I'm just so surprised that Logitech couldn't even make this thing have a simple save function,
    even if it was just for pictures/music and video.
    Seems to me if you can hook up an external HDD to play from,
    you should be able to save to it as well. :rolleyes:
    It shouldn't be too hard to make an App for THAT!
    Let's hope someone does.
    It should also be quite simple to be able to print a page via WIFI, but nothing for that yet either. :confused:
    Seems like that wouldn't be too much to ask for, even in the INITIAL RELEASE.
    It's those small types of things that really irritate me.
    Hopefully someone will get a clue.

Anyways...mine should arrive in a couple days.
    Would you guys mind posting some pros and cons for this device in the meantime?
    (other than the obvious of course) ;)

Cheers.

2. thepenguin12

thepenguin12 New Member

hmmm not so sure that logitech would be releasing dates of when the upgrade would happen unless it was confirmed prior. asking for trouble there.

3. BLACKTOOTHGRIN

I sure hope you're referring to Logitech Rep....
    I'm only relaying what the guy said.
    Whether he's talking out his a$$ or not...remains to be seen.:cool:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  4. galfert

galfert Active Member

To relay information without consideration of the source is also talking out your a$$. No customer service rep is in the know of any information not already officially released. And even if they were in the know it is not good company policy to release information in this manner. So it probably didn't happen how you feel it did, meaning any new information did not really come out. You misunderstood and/or the customer service rep miscommunicated. We already know that the 3.1 update is coming this Summer. To say that he update is coming in late August is really not that insightful considering late August is still Summer ...or rather it is just about the end of Summer. You really shouldn't say "I'm only relaying what the guy said," because it sends a bad message about yourself.

And on to some other things you said. Printing is not trivial....it requires printer drivers and they are not generic because it depends on the printer you have, and Google TV version 1.0 was not designed to allow customization nor installing of anything. Also "save function" is not there because Google wanted GTV to maintain a certain simplicity to ease adoption. They weren't designing a computer. Later with the Android Market you'll be able to expand it and add functionality and make it more complicated to fit your needs. So lets not blame Logitech because they didn't write the software but rather they are a key hardware partner that was part of the process of bringing Google's vision to market. Anything missing is intentional and by design in this version 1.0 product.

I do agree with you as also do most industry experts that GTV has much potential as it matures and becomes more capable and starts to opening itself in future versions for 3rd party customization in hardware and software development.

5. BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Not gonna argue it with ya bud.
    I talked to Logitech again today, and a different Rep. told me the exact same thing.
    So...nothing was confused on my part.
    If you'd like to argue this point any further, argue it with them.
    Read into it whatever you like, and type away....lol!

As far as the rest....
    opinions vary, yours is just another one of the many. ;)

Cheers.

6. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

7. ddowden

ddowden New Member

geek.com posted a nice article on the GoogleTV fishtank program. It has nothing to do with the August date mentioned above, but I thought you guys might find it interesting.

I can't post the link yet, because I do not have enough posts, but head over to geek.com if you are interested.

8. galfert

galfert Active Member

Well as is being reported by other sources end of Summer or late Summer seems to be the official word. I consider it official now because the information is coming from various sources not just a Customer Service Rep. I too contacted Logitech and got the following response:

Dear Valued Customer,
    Thank you for contacting Logitech Customer Care.
    I understand that you would like to know when 3.1 is to be released. I will be more then happy to assist.
    We are expected to launch Android 3.1 Honeycomb on the Revue sometime in the late summer with the app store scheduled to release shortly after which will then allow applications on the Revue Companion Box to be installed.
    We do not have a specific date at this time, except to say late summer.
    If you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email and we will get back to you shortly. Thank you once again for contacting Logitech Customer Care.
    Regards,
    James
    Logitech Customer Care

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  9. BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Thanks for posting up that link TRALLYUS.
    Now maybe GALFERT won't get his panties all up in a bunch. ;)

10. BLACKTOOTHGRIN

--burning up a few posts to get to 10 so i can post this link for you guys--

11. BLACKTOOTHGRIN

--burning up a few posts to get to 10 so i can post this link for you guys--

12. BLACKTOOTHGRIN

and number 8

13. BLACKTOOTHGRIN

here's number 9

14. BLACKTOOTHGRIN

finally number 10. done.

15. BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Okay...sorry about that.

Anyway, I found this today while searching for more info:
    A First Look at the Next Generation of Google TV
    There is also a few posts on the Logitech forum referencing it.

Not too sure what to make of it yet.
    Maybe a new box for a competitor?
    Hopefully not a second generation Revue already...with a beefy HDD for downloading. :eek: lol.
    That thought makes me want to return the one I just bought,
    RIGHT NOW!

What do you guys make of it?
    All I see from the back is just more connectivity options.
    From the article it looks like it will run the same Intel CE4100 chipset.
    I know that Logitech will update the current model with the new 3.1,
    but it's the casing size and prominent cooling fan on this new one that makes me think that my recent purchase of the 1st gen Revue might be lacking.
    My Blood Is Starting To Boil. :mad:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  16. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

This article was already posted earlier today by Rickaren in the "more Google TV news section". Here's the link: http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...215-first-look-next-generation-google-tv.html It's always a good idea to take a quick look around the forum in the 'general' and 'news' sections to see what has already been posted. That being said I don't see hardly any apps on it at all - mainly just a clock and Google Chrome. This thing is coming along at a snail's pace. I hope that the Logitech Revue will get full USB Hub support.

17. galfert

galfert Active Member

The new Google TV box you are referencing is not a new device for sale. It is a device meant only for developers through a private invitation only process and it is called "Fishtank."

The fact that the device has the same processor as the Revue to me signifiles that it probably is the same exact hardware that we have with the Revue. I don't see any new ports of significance. An extra HDMI input port that has been covered (probably because it doesn't work), and two antenna ports for WiFi (not for TV antenna), a Coaxial Audio Only port. Those all bring nothing new to the table of any significance because we have built in WiFi antennas and we have an SPDIF audio port so no need for a Coaxial version and an HDMI port that doesn't work is well useless. And the Serial port is for direct firmware flashing that is common on devices meant for development and not for consumer purchase.

Also the device has no apps but a clock and Chrome. Sure you have the Android Market and it is running Android 3.1. The purpose of Fishtank is to get Android 3.1 to developers first now so that when the public gets the 3.1 update soon that there are apps available.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  18. BLACKTOOTHGRIN

I agree. :)

Okay, gotcha.
    I was afraid that it may be a Revue 2nd gen already with a HDD built in for downloading.
    (i.e. the downloading icon on the screenshot)
    Checked with Logitech today about it. They said they don't plan on making another any time soon, and there aren't even any talks about it in the works.
    Good to hear.

I just hope that if downloading is a new feature that is released with 3.1,
    that they allow us to use our existing external HDD's for this, and don't make us buy any "special" or proprietary ones.

19. AlaskanOgre

AlaskanOgre New Member

Late August = January

20. bidger

bidger Member

I really hope not, but it wouldn't be exactly earth shattering if you were right.