Quantcast

Amazon's Plans May Spell Disaster For Netflix

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Feb 1, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Amazon (click for full article)

From the article:

"The New York Post reported last week that Amazon will soon offer a subscription-based streaming service, just like Netflix. And although the company hasn't confirmed the news, Reed Hastings echoed those suspicions in his letter to investors last week, saying he expects Amazon to "brand their video subscription offering as a standalone service at a price less than ours."

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  2. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 New Member

I saw that last week.... and pulled the trigger and sold all my Netflix stock. The next day Netflix announced their quarterly earnings and far surpassed projections and the stock skyrocketed over 20%

DAMN YOU NETFLIX!!!!!

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

3. halox

halox New Member

Netflix is right ... it needs to concentrate on being specific. I enjoy Netflix streaming and use it daily. Amazon Instant Prime is a mess. I have it and use it ... but rarely. It's difficult to navigate and find materials. And I don't imagine it'll get much better - Amazon, as a whole, has tons of stuff, but none of it is curated very well across the board. Even searching for books that interest me is a mess.

That being said, Netflix needs to improve on some significant fronts, so I'll be happy to see Amazon step in so that Netflix can become better.

I'm not talking about it from a content perspective ... just a user perspective. For example, it was brilliant back in the day that you could have multiple DVD queues. That way, if my wife wants her movies and I want mine, we'd maintain separate lists.

For streaming? It's gone. One list. That's it. For me, for my wife, for my kids. Which means, I can't have my movies and my wife's movies on the list. Because I don't want the kids having access to titles I might enjoy. Parental Controls, overall, are dreadful. There's no way to block specific content. All it would take is a PIN code (or, as I've said, a separate list) to be able limit movies from being browsed on connected devices. BUT THEY DON'T DO THAT. All they allow you to do is completely block content FOR EVERYONE.

Now, Amazon - I don't expect them to offer features like that ... separate queues, good parental controls, etc, because they already don't offer things like that for their Kindle devices. They're not going to do it. Netflix can, and should, because that's the specific thing they do.

4. misfit410

misfit410 New Member

I hate to break this to you but Amazon has had this in place for well over a year now.
    Prime members get full free streaming just like netflix, plus you can buy content to stream and keep, as well as rent new releases.

the only thing holding it back, is it needs to get it's app on more devices.

5. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

Not quite. Amazon's Prime Instant Video is unlike Netflix because the service is not a full subscription option. I started my free trial w/every intention of upgrading automatically. But once I clicked on most of the movies I've watched on Netflix, I realized the Prime member content was seriously lacking.

The Prime membership is geared toward the whole shopping experience in Amazon's various departments. Benefits like free shipping and Kindle discounts. But once you pay $74.00 for the annual fee, you will definitely realize that their Prime ain't so prime. More like hamburger to Netflix's Prime beef as far as content is concerned.

The one advantage Amazon has is the ability to buy movies and store them in their video library. So, when I want to buy a movie not available on Netflix, that is the way to go. Rather than pay their annual fee, I'm better served by using that money to build my own library or rent movies. At least this way I have more choice.

Using their month trial, go to Amazon prime and just search any films or movies you think you'd want to watch. You'll be surprised how awful the service actually is. They pick the worst least known titles for their prime video list.

Unlimited streaming is a joke that'll leave ya crying for your $70.00 back! If you are an avid Amazon shopper and own a kindle, then this is for you.

Carl

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  6. Carlszone

Hi

Waiver:

If any of you folks took my suggestion and started a free trial w/Amazon Prime Instant Video, you MUST click on, "Do not automatically start my Prime Membership." You should see it on most pages. This will ensure your Credit Card will not be billed at the end of your trial period.

This will not effect your trial period. You will still be able to watch free movies and TV shows without cost for the entire 30 day period. Just make sure once you are actually in the video Play screen, you click on the green Icon marked: $o.oo

Most users are well aware of trial subscriptions and will know to kill the Auto-Credit card fee long before it can take effect. But I remember when I first started out, and how much money I lost to trial offers.

Also, if ya like the service, then you can let the auto-annual membership take effect w/out any other action on your part. I'd be quite curious how many of ya have elected to subscribe to this service. Maybe you might wanna post your experience here???

Carl

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  7. halox

halox New Member

I subscribe to it. Netflix blows it out of the water. There are a few shows and movies that Amazon has that Netflix streaming does not. However, it's lacking enough features and ease of use with my devices that Netflix is still king.

Now, if you take advantage of all of the services you get with membership, it's a nice little bonus. I utilize the free 2-day shipping, I borrow the free Kindle book every month, and I enjoy the extra space to store documents on their servers.

Between the two, however, for streaming movies ... there is no comparison. Netflix wins easily.

• Like Like x 2
  8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Amazon Prime costs $74.00 per year, which comes to about $6.17 per month. Compare it to Netflix $7.99 a month streaming plan, it comes out to $95.88. It is true the Netflix content library is much more diverse but it is also more expensive. However, the Prime membership is a good deal considering the total services which you get. I've been an Prime member for a while now. The free access to Prime Videos is more of a bonus to the Amazon Shopping experience. In my case, the service pays for itself after two or three orders at Amazon where my impatience would have opted for the two-day delivery anyways.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Carlszone

Hi

Thanks for the response. I hope I was fair in my orig post about Amazon Prime as compared to a full video subscription service. My only bone of contention w/Amazon is their claim of unlimited streaming. It was easy for me to misinterpret what this meant. Yes, from a select list of videos I was able to stream them an unlimited amt of times.

But unlimited streaming of all their content briefly entertained my thoughts when I decided to click on their trial Prime offer. Of course I believe there is a market for the average Amazon user. But not as a replacement or even a competitive alternative to Netflix.

And the Blockbuster free trial! Sheesh, they still seem to think users want to go back to the cable style fee grabbing of the last decade.

Thanks

Carl

10. halox

halox New Member

So ... I've started thinking about trying to curate some of the Amazon Prime offerings for those of us with Google TV and Prime (mostly because there are a few shows my kids like that are not available on Netflix and only on Prime ... Like Legend of Zelda.)

I've quickly set up a site. If you've got Prime and Google TV, check it out and let me know what you think.

GTV - Prime - Featured

To my surprise, while I was putting movies up there, I discovered there are some decent flicks you can only find on Amazon as opposed to Netflix streaming. Like Matrix Revolutions, and The Fountain, and Good Night & Good Luck.

Anyways, take a look and let me know what you think. I'm trying to figure out how to do D-Pad navigation, but I can't get the .js to do what I think it should do ... I'm not great at coding. And it's just a first pass.

Thanks.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Carlszone

Hi

Yes, most folks will notice that Netlflix provides the most popular TV shows and Movies. But some of the more obscure can be found on Amazon Instant Movies. Are you talking about creating another App?

Carl

12. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I think Amazon Prime is a great deal, free expedited shipping on purchases and Prime Instant Streaming. I like the selection of UK TV shows, US TV shows and movies and always found something to watch when I had the service. I have had to cut back on Amazon purchases and all other bills for that matter but was very pleased with the service.

13. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname Member

Very cool, Halox. Thank you!
    I'm a prime member, and your site will help.
    Bookmarked on my Revue.

14. Carlszone

Oops! Didn't see the link.

Really cool! I spent a while talking to one of their CSRs trying to find a way to cut through the clutter. When you look up a movie in their search you get a list of rentals and movies to buy, but you rarely see the $0.00 icon. This heightened the disappointment in their Prime service for me.

Your setup makes more sense. I'll use it for the remainder of my trial period.

Thanks

Carl

15. halox

halox New Member

Cool - I hope you enjoy it. Added a "TELEVISION" category this morning. If there are any titles you come across on Prime that you enjoy (movies or TV), send me a message and I'll add 'em.

• Like Like x 2
  16. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Nice job!