Quantcast

Amazon's New App Stream Service Streams Games & Apps From The Cloud

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Nov 13, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Amazon?s New AppStream Service Lets Mobile Developers Stream Their Games And Apps From The Cloud To Any Device | TechCrunch (click for full article)

by Frederic Lardinois - Nov. 13, 2013

-- Amazon today announced a new service for mobile developers at its re:Invent developer conference in Las Vegas today. Amazon AppStream, which uses the company's recently launched g2 EC2 instances, allows developers to easily stream their applications in high definition from the cloud to any mobile devices. Amazon is specifically marketing this for mobile developers, but there's no reason desktop apps couldn't use this service, too.

The service is now in limited preview and developers can sign up for access here.

This new service, Amazon says, will allow developers to "build high-fidelity, graphically rich applications that run on a wide variety of devices, start instantly, and have access to all of the compute and storage resources of the AWS Cloud."

Introduction to Amazon AppStream:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

This sounds interesting. I would like to see a demonstration of how well it works before I pass judgement though. Maybe android developers could utilize the AppStream platform to make some kick-a** apps for GTV such as gaming apps?

Perhaps this might cut into Chromecast sales?

AppStream uses apps to do the heavy lifting from the cloud before streaming to the device. In that regard it functions kind of similar to what Chromecast achieves. The difference is that Appstream is not (currently) a direct solution for content on a TV - it streams to mobile. Amazon already has some second screen flinging capability to certain TVs with the new Kindle Fire. I think the second screen capability of Amazon products will grow.

In fact I envision Amazon launching a TV box with AppStream apps built-in - and second screen support for the Kindle Fire tablet built into their TV box.

Last I heard Spring 2014 was the projected date for Amazon's TV box.

*Here's a more detailed article from the WSJ about AppStream:

http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-20131113-912015.html?dsk=y

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013