Quantcast

Amazon Strikes Its First Major Blow Against Netflix Thanks To '24: Live Another Day'

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Apr 2, 2014.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Amazon Strikes Its First Major Blow Against Netflix Thanks To '24: Live Another Day' - Forbes (click for full article)

by Merrill Barr - April 2, 2014

-- With just over a month to go before, arguably, the most ambitious television experiment of the season premiers, FOX is taking steps to ensure it's getting the most bang for its buck out of 24: Live Another Day and in doing so, it just helped Amazon strike its first noticeable blow against its main digital competitor, Netflix.

Fans and non-fans hoping to catch-up on all 8 previous seasons of the acclaimed series were awoken to a surprise yesterday morning in the form of news the series had been removed from Netflix where it's been available since 2010 in full, in favor of FOX signing a deal for digital rights to the series with Amazon.

The new deal will see all 192 current episodes (plus the TV movie, 24: Redemption) maintained exclusively with Amazon, as well allow the service to be the sole digital home for the 12 episode Live Another Day later in 2014. With this move, Amazon has just staked its first major claim in their battle for streaming supremacy with Netflix.

See more at: http://www.forbes.com/sites/merrill...gainst-netflix-thanks-to-24-live-another-day/

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  2. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

I wouldn't mind it so much if the Amazon Instant Video app was available on many more devices, but since it's not, this is bad news

3. ericd

ericd Active Member

I haven't had a chance to watch any of the seasons of "24" but I can't see one series turning the tide between Netflix and Prime.

Amazon needs more exclusive content and a total re-work of the apps (and website) UI to compete with Netflix. Netflix just "feels" superior to Prime in almost every aspect. It's easier to find a show I want and just looks so much better and more modern than Amazon. I never liked that Amazon separated different seasons (and SD/HD versions) of a specific show into various places around the site (or app) in an obvious attempt to make it seem like there is more content than there really is.

Hopefully with the recent Prime price increase and the new streaming box placing more of a spotlight on the app and streaming service, Amazon will be forced to totally re-work the app to better compete with Netflix.

My Prime membership isn't up till July and right now I'm still stuck on the fence on whether I'll re-up or not. If Amazon doesn't make some changes to the app and add a lot more exclusive content, I can't see myself keeping the service just for the 2 day shipping. I'll just hold off on purchasing Amazon items until I meet the free standard shipping requirement, which in turn will probably mean less impulse purchases from Amazon all together.

4. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

Agreed.. and I do a lot of my Amazon shopping with Subscribe and Save... if they have to ship it 3 days earlier (slow boat) to get it to me on the expected delivery date, that's fine with me.

From a streaming side of things, I don't find their offering all that compelling.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

It simply won't work! Amazon can't possibly deliver series akin to Netflix. For one, their Play Next feature is sporadic at best. I've been trying to watch episodes of the 48 hours series that I missed since the Netflix series viewing expired. I can't find where I left off. It is a hodgepodge of random series episodes that may or may not be part of yer Prime lineup by the time you get to the later seasons.

I watched the whole "The West Wing" series on Netflix and not once did I have to worry about it being pulled before the series end. W/Amazon I always worry that they will offer only parts of the series under their umbrella of free episodes. Why should I pay for a series that is currently available on Netflix without restrictions???

It ain't gonna work...

Carl

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    • Like Like x 2