Quantcast

Amazon readying Unlimited Streaming

Discussion in 'Google TV News' started by Rickaren, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Amazon readying unlimited streaming for Prime subscribers?

30 January 2011 by Jon Norris.

The TV is becoming quite the battleground for hardware manufacturers and service providers alike. After a spate of high-profile device launches that included the rebooted Apple TV and the all-new Google TV (as well as smaller contenders Roku and the Boxee Box), the spotlight is now back on the content providers. Netflix rules the roost in the US, and is looking to expand pretty rapidly overseas.

To counter the Netflix expansion its main rival, Amazon, bought up European Netflix-alike LoveFilm to establish a foothold in the market first. Now it looks as though Amazon is preparing to launch a pretty combative Netflix streaming rival stateside. Engadget managed to get hold of a screenshot of the purported service, clearly stating "Your Amazon Prime membership now includes unlimited, commercial-free, instant streaming of 5,000 movies and TV shows at no additional cost."

[​IMG]

Amazon Prime is the retail giant's loyalty program, which allows unlimited free shipping of products bought through their online store for $79 per year. In essence you'd be paying less per year than you would for an equivalent Netflix service ($96), and you'd get free Amazon shipping thrown in to boot. In the UK the offer would be even more attractive, where Amazon Prime costs £49 ($78 - that's right, something is cheaper in the UK!) per year, and a LoveFilm package including unlimited streaming would run you around £120 a year.

Currently Amazon's instant streaming library is comparable to that of Netflix, although some users may be wary of paying for an entire year up-front. However, for frequent Amazon shoppers this will make Prime an even more appealing prospect. Your move, Netflix.

SOURCE

I noticed something was about to change as I visited Amazon last week to stream the Movie "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest", released on the 25th. It stated Coming Soon In HD to Google TV. Since that was the only way I would watch it from Amazon I decided to wait, but it was available on my DirectTV DVR VOD at that time for an additional $2.00 over SD version. Thus far Amazon seems to be less expensive on all movies streamed that are the same downloaded HD movie from either DISH or DirecTV! (I have both services).

As a Amazon Prime member already I now may be able to watch streamed movies for free! Seems too good to be true as my Wife said, but who knows!

Will check it out and report back later.

Rick

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  2. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Awesome! Good thing I'm 'prime'! :D

3. skoretsky

skoretsky New Member

Likewise (glad I'm prime also!), would justify prime membership big time!

4. harley man

harley man New Member

wow that is good news

5. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Read more: Amazon Leaks Details About Their Netflix-Like Movie Subscription Service, Free For Prime Members

Amazon also sells the Logitech Revue for $249.99 with free 2 day shipping for Prime members!

6. Megtv

Megtv New Member

FYI: if you are a college student with a school email you can get Amazon Prime for free. Amazon Student

7. joker

joker Guest

thanx for that info. i wasn't aware of that. what a great deal. does that mean i can watch any movie thats available for free? thanx again.

8. joker

joker Guest

talked to someone at Amazon today that seemed very knowledgable about things. First, he said Prime & free streaming is not true, as of right now. Second, GTV does not receive movies in HD at the moment & he wasn't sure when it would happen. I also threw in a couple questions just to see if he was bullshitting me & he seemed to know what he was talking about. He said the site to keep up on Amazon "true" news is at: www.amazon.com/pr. When anything new comes about, you can read it hear first.