Quantcast

Amazon Prime Video Not Coming To Chromecast, Nexus Player, And Apple TV

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Oct 1, 2015.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Hard to understand that if it is true. Amazon wants its Amazon Instant Video and Amazon Prime Instant Video to be available to consumers and that sure won't help. Amazon recently killed those services on Google TV also. I think it is a dumb move.

3. CatfishRivers

Could it have something to do with a DRM requirement that those devices don't meet? I understand that Amazon Prime Video is on the Nvidia Shield console (which is an android TV) - that's why the DRM theory kind of makes sense to me. In other words if the OEM meets Amazon's DRM requirement they get the app - if not NO.

4. ChrisG8

I don't think so, at least not with Apple TV and Chromecast, it appears to me Amazon just doesn't want those devices to have access to Amazon Instant Video. On the other hand with millions of Apple TV and Chromecast devices in service, not allowing access seems like a big blunder. I dropped Netflix and subscribed to Amazon Prime earlier this year and have been really happy with the service but I wasn't happy when Google TV support was ended.

5. CatfishRivers

6. CatfishRivers

7. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

This moves definitely makes me (even more) reluctant to buy in to the Amazon ecosphere for content. I don't want to be tied to their H/W which seems needlessly forked from main Android.. ie. I want access to the full Play store without jumping thru hoops to root/etc.

ie. if Amazon played their cards right, they would create the GoogleTV experience which Google was never able to fulfill.

8. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Even root won't get you seamless access to the playstore anymore on an Amazon device, but sideloading has gotten even easier, and you can add other 3rd party markets which don't involve as much crud as Google's.

There are no Saints here, just companies trying to monetize their products and eco-system as much as possible. It's not like Google allows full access to their own store without sideloading.

The bottom line with streaming devices has always been whether they support the providers and Apps you need.

9. ChrisG8

Chromecast, Nexus Player and Apple TV all disappeared from Amazon.com today according the searches I just tried. Razer Forge TV and NVIDIA Shield Android TV are still available.