Quantcast

Amazon Plans Free Streaming Service

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Mar 27, 2014.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Amazon Plans Free Streaming Media Service - WSJ.com (click for full article)

by Greg Bensinger - March 27, 2014

Amazon.com Inc. is considering an advertising-supported streaming television and music-video service, a departure from its strategy of linking video to its $99-a-year Prime subscription service, according to people close to the company.

The proposed service, which could launch in the coming months, could feature original and may include licensed content, these people said. As part of the service's development, Amazon has held talks with the creators of "Betas," a series about a Silicon Valley startup that Amazon co-produced last year, these people said.

Amazon also plans to offer free music videos with advertising to people visiting its retail website, two of the people said. A search for Bruce Springsteen CDs, for example, might yield an option to watch the "Born in the U.S.A." video.

See more at: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304688104579465690663213198

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

According to the WSJ article Amazon is supposed to release it's streaming video device next week:

** Video for the Prime service is delivered through specially equipped televisions, set-top boxes like those made by Roku Inc., PCs, videogame consoles such as Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox, and Amazon's Kindle Fire tablet.

That is about to change. Amazon on Thursday invited media to an event in New York next week where it is expected to release a streaming-video device, to better compete with Roku, Google's Chromecast and Apple Inc.'s Apple TV. That service will feature apps found on other set-top boxes like Netflix and Hulu, according to people familiar with the matter. **

http://recode.net/2014/03/27/amazon-launching-video-box-next-week/

3. ericd

ericd Active Member

I wonder how this will affect current Prime members? I'm guessing Amazon will follow a similar model to Hulu/ Hulu +

Looks like we'll have more news about this and possibly some info on a new streming box/ TV next week

Link pulled from GTV G+ http://mashable.com/2014/03/27/amazon-video-invite/

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

My Amazon Prime membership just expired, I like the pay streaming service really well but like Netflix even better so I am not going to renew it anytime soon, especially at the $99 price. I will sure look at the free service with ads if it is accessible by Google TV or Roku, so this is good news if it actually happens for me.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ericd

ericd Active Member

I'm in a similar boat as you, my Prime expires in July and although I enjoy the streaming service, Netflix is by far superior to Prime. If Amazon adds ads to the paid streaming, I don't think I'll renew my plan. With the price hike I was already on the fence

Here's a new article that seems pretty interesting. Amazon Plans Free Video-Streaming Service, WSJ Reports | TechCrunch

Some of the reader comments are pretty interesting.

6. ericd

ericd Active Member

• Like Like x 2
  7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Ha, well I am going to go out on a limb here and state if Amazon says there will not be a free streaming service supported by ads available to everyone, that is the reality of the situation. I really don't think it would make sense to have the Amazon Prime Instant Video and an Amazon Free Instant Video service so everything points to a false rumor for me. I have been surprised many times during the few years I have been following the development of internet streaming services so if I am wrong, it won't be the first time.