Quantcast

Amazon no longer streaming HD movies to GTV

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Peter2011, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Peter2011

Peter2011 New Member

I just received this in an email from Amazon...

I am sorry this has taken a while to get back to you but I wanted to let you know that currently we are unable to support HD titles through Google TV.

We are unable to get the rights from the studios at this time.

However you can view HD on a number of other devices such as roku with HD compatible TV.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't believe Amazon has ever streamed movies in HD with Google TV but TV shows stream in HD. I believe all TV shows available through Amazon Instant Video and Amazon Prime Instant Video available in HD, stream in HD. Once an Amazon Instant Video App was available for the PS3, I quit using Google TV for Amazon Instant Video.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Just curious about something - I'm on the Logitech Revue so I haven't received the new Google Play TV & Movies update yet. So do Movies & TV shows rented/purchased with GTV devices from Google Play stream in HD?

4. Peter2011

Peter2011 New Member

I have watched many HD movies since joining Amazon Prime; TV shows still play in HD; it's not A Revue issue; Amazon blames it on the movie studios.
    The new Play won't affect this at all - it's an Amazon issue.

Google builds some good products, but doesn't seem to realize it's content, not hardware or software we care about. I have an Android phone and the GtV, but I'm getting tired of orphan products and outdated OS's and

5. CatfishRivers

Yes I agree - the saying goes "Content Is King".

I understand that the Google Play update doesn't effect the Amazon issue - I just asked the question as an aside.

IMO it would be nice if Google could add Vudu support (seeing as how Amazon doesn't support HD movies for GTV). Vudu ia an excellent source of HD movies, but perhaps one of the reasons Vudu doesn't support GTV is the same reason effecting the HD movies with Amazon (licensing issues with the studios).

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  6. polardude1983

polardude1983 New Member

I agree. Vudu would be nice. The only way I get vudu is by hooking up my PC to my tv. But I don't currently care about HD movies as I only get a 1mbps connection where I live.

7. ChrisG8

Google isn't preventing Amazon from streaming movies in HD and can't force Amazon or anybody else to offer HD streaming for Google TV, this problem is between Amazon and the content owners and nothing Google can do to force the change. I don't know when you think Amazon quit streaming movies in HD with Google TV but I posted this issue exists months ago when someone was asking if the Vizio CoStar would be a good choice if all he wanted was to stream local media and Amazon Prime, I indicated I believed it was a bad choice and linked the Amazon page that indicates no HD for movies. Either you were lucky and some movies slipped by or you just thought you were watching Amazon Prime in HD using Google TV, when in fact you weren't.

8. CatfishRivers

Chris have you tested renting a movie from Google Play on your Sony GTV device - and if so do the movies stream in HD? I have no way to test it now. Thanks....

9. polardude1983

polardude1983 New Member

No it won't even be worth it. 1mbps streams 360 resolution without buffering. It would be to annoying.

10. ChrisG8

I have not tried yet but I probably will soon and it is my understanding the Googe Play movies will play in HD. My preference for renting streaming movies is Vudu, I have a couple of Blu-ray players and a PS3 that handle Vudu, it requires something over 5Mbps download speeds or can be downloaded to a hard drive ahead of time, best video quality streaming I have seen.

11. Peter2011

Peter2011 New Member

Not 'lucky'; I had streaming HD for two months. The movies would offer the blue HD banner choice; it always worked. the HD light would also be on. Amazon has evidently been unable to get the idea of current movies being free to Prime customers. The Google/content issue is different - like the Play store re-opening with 23 of the big music companies on board.