Quantcast

amazon instant video

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by roaoro, Jan 1, 2012.

1. roaoro

roaoro New Member

Am I missing something on this App? When I click on the app, it just takes me to the amazon website, it looks nothing like the screenshots I've seen on the web...I was under the impression amazon video had a similiar interface like netflix. I was finally able to figure out how to watch one of my purchases through the website, but it took forever to navigate to it! And why is the Revue not listed under ways to watch??? Are all google tv devices this way with amazon, or just the revue? I really hope I'm missing something simple here.

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

This was discussed during the Google+ http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-development-discussion/3609-hangout-jurek-foryciarz.html

3. lchiu7

lchiu7 New Member

Well out of interest I tried the leaked ATVAndroidClient.apk that was ripped from the Fire. There have been reports of it working on a number devices. Well not on the Revue - it just FC's.

• Like Like x 2
  4. BLA

BLA New Member

I quit all of Amazon because they've gone downhill, charging for more things, but ultimately providing less service. I was just browsing their instant video to see if it'd be a good alternative to Netflix, and next thing I know, they keep trying to charge my card for $79 for a prime account. At first I didn't even know what Prime was, and I sure didn't order it. Fortunately the card they tried to charge happened to be the one that was cancelled, or I'm sure I'd still be trying to get my money back from them. The entire process of contacting them and explaining that I didn't want the service, and they need to stop trying to bill my card was a nightmare. All I got was insincere or automated responses that clearly did not pertain to my situation. The only way to stop was to fully cancel my Amazon accounts. They have gotten far too big to properly manage the company.

I don't miss them anyway. Their prices were slowly creeping up so people didn't even notice they weren't getting deals any more, and their product selection has gotten far too bloated, mostly with junk and questionable vendors. If I search for something, I get 40 pages of crap.
    As far as VOD, I will pass for now. I'm sticking with Redbox and my own collection of discs and on my PC until someone steps up and offers a quality video service at a reasonable price, like Netflix USED to do. $1.50 for a blue-ray with extras is way better than $5.99 for JUST the movie.

5. halox

halox New Member

8 bucks for Netflix with unlimited streaming is not a "quality video service at a reasonable price?" That's about 26 cents a day. For all you can consume. On multiple devices.

Wowza.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

What are you talking about???

Are you outright wrong? The Amazon Prime service cannot automatically charge you unless you failed to opt out before the trial period ended. And way before that you can simply go into Accounts>Manage Prime membership, and adjust the Prime membership to 'Not Automatically Renew.'

I was considering not using Amazon Prime. But recently I've changed my mind. But nevertheless, I wouldn't belittle the service. Are you sure you understood the terms and conditions of the free trial.

Carl

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
    • Like Like x 4
  7. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname Member

I did the free trials of both Amazon and Netflix back in August when I got my Revue. Both worked fine.
    I signed up with Amazon about a month ago. We've been watching the series "24", and we watch 4 or 5 episodes every night.
    On some days I'll watch something during the afternoon. So far it's working perfectly.
    I signed with Amazon because I purchase a lot of products from them, so the free two day shipping is a big plus for me.
    As for prices, they're still the best place for me. I buy a lot of movies from Amazon, and they still have the best prices.
    As for service, I've never had a problem. I've only had to return something twice, and both times it was very easy, no questions asked.
    And as halox posted, $8 a month for Netflix is very reasonable. Amazon is $79 a year for unlimited streaming, free two day shipping on almost anything you buy.
    That's VERY reasonable.
    I sound like a commercial. heh heh

• Like Like x 4
  8. Carlszone

BTW, Netflix and Amazon Prime can be an ideal combination for users that don't want to pay the high price of cable. Hell, I ain't selling it. But it's a no brainer. Early on I didn't anticipate buying merchandise from Amazon.com. But since I bought one of the few antennas I am finally satisfied with, I looked into the service further. Amazon Instant Videos work well on GTV. And no App needed, altho it wouldn't hurt to have an App for further personalization. I do hope, even at extra cost, that they will extend the VOD service for Prime users to a full content service.

Take Care

Carl

9. Carlszone

Dang! You posted while I was still typing my post. I should have waited.

Thank You

Carl

• Like Like x 2
  10. odsamuels

odsamuels New Member

You really captured what I was thinking there Carl... this is soooo off-base I wonder if maybe he accidentally went to some kind of spoofed site or something! Amazon Prime + Netflix... just totally awesome right now... 95% there... give me Vudu and then thas it! Perfectenschlag!

• Like Like x 4
  11. gadgetrants

gadgetrants New Member

Wow, that's the second time in a week that I've seen a member here accuse another of lying. :( Maybe I'm just used to well-moderated forums where civil discourse is the norm -- even when someone posts something that's wrong or misinformed. I'm sure there's a more pro-community way of saying, "Sorry but that hasn't been my experience."

-Matt

• Like Like x 2
  12. Carlszone

Hi Matt

I'm sure I don't know about the specifics of this forum. But point well taken.

I apologize. I'm sorry for my use of the word lying and not considering that the person might have been a first time user of a trial membership. Duh...that might explain the problem. Even if that wasn't that case, I still stand corrected.

Matt, thanks for reminding me of the need to keep a civil attitude when posting.

Refreshing and enlightening...

Carl

13. gadgetrants

gadgetrants New Member

Hey Carl, I really enjoy your "piss and vinegar" (or is it "take no prisoners"?) approach! ;) But I'm in no position to get holier-than-thou (my screen name says it all) -- it just got a little tense in here for a minute, so I thought I'd get my butter knife out and try and cut it.

Anyway, all this discussion of Netflix has me thinking it's time for me to dump HBOGo. What do you think?...drop HBO ($15/month) in favor of Netflix ($8/month)? I always assumed HBO has the more recent movie library. (I already have Amazon Prime, but anyway you slice it, Instant Video has a pretty weak selection.)

-Matt

14. Carlszone

Yes, but you gotta look at what interests you most. For example, I had HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, and the movie channel. Then I added the Stars channels. Well Cox used to allow us time between accessing a new service and the billing date. But I had ordered this like I'd alway done, on the early part of the month. Somehow Cox had changed their policy. Without, like they love to state in their Terms & Conditions, any warning.

So, because I ordered the Stars network a day before my billing date, they charged me a $5.00 fee. Only it happened to fall exactly on my birthday. So that bill is the one I always look up when I get weak and say, maybe I'd be better off w/cable. They traded a $153.00 a month subscriber for $5.00 bucks to a friggin bank.

That's the personal story. You must decide what ya like based on your personal enjoyment. And what you're willing to pay for. Heck, one day i'll probably go back to cable.

Smarter and Wiser...

Carl

15. gadgetrants

gadgetrants New Member

Ah, you reminded me -- I forgot that Dish is giving us access to Starz for a year. Which doesn't matter as far as the Revue, but I do record Starz HD movies and "archive" them with another device. So maybe sticking with what we have for now is the best plan. But I should probably spend some more time looking at the Netflix library and seeing what it has over HBOGo and Amazon Instant Video.

Thanks!

-Matt

16. Carlszone

Hi

I notice Netflix has a lot of Showtime shows. Also shows I thought I'd miss like Deadly Women and other crime shows from the ID channel. I also buy a few movies on Amazon. I like their video Library feature. So for entertainment I'm pretty well set. As much as I dislike cable I do like their internet service. Actually it's my only option other than DSL which I hate.

Carl

• Like Like x 2
  17. ru42112

ru42112 New Member

Didnt care for pime liked netflix when it included one dvd for $9.99. now its like $17.00 Netflix works great on my revue buffers alot on my samsung bluray plyer. I also would love to see vudu on gtv.

18. Carlszone

Hey...Speaking of the buffering/error msg problem. Has anyone noticed that Neflix surveys and 'Report A Problem' feature, never asks the right questions. Not once have I found a place to either check a box or make a comment that will allow me to make an accurate report of any problem I've encountered using the Netflix App.

It's like they don't wanna go there. But last night I did notice something. After a Reboot, I watched 17 episodes of various shows continuously without once leaving the App. Not one error msg. As long as I didn't interrupt my viewing by opening another App or checking e-mail or this group, the shows loaded completely the first time around.

Too bad really. I like the layout of the App. But it demands too much dedication to be a practical way to enjoy Netflix with the ease of most media sites I view via Chrome. Maybe Google and Netflix can get together and resolve the browser issue.

Carl

19. ru42112

ru42112 New Member

Ihave had great experience with netflix call support. revue is good once you get somebody to talk to.

20. Carlszone

Yes, I agree. Not really complaining here. Just can't understand why in a survey the error msg problem is NOT one of the choices. Often a survey will get a recurring problem escalated, whereas the Customer Service Reps may not properly report ongoing issues. Paper is always better than conversation. On-line reporting systems go directly to the techs.

Carl