Quantcast

Amazon Instant Video No Longer Supported On Google TV

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by ChrisG8, Aug 17, 2015.

1. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Hello,

We're writing to let you know that the Amazon Video app will no longer be available on the Google TV platform after September 14, 2015, which includes streaming devices from Sony, LG, Vizio, Hisense, ASUS, Netgear, and Hausbell.

This means you won't be able to stream movies and TV shows directly from the Amazon Video app on your Google TV platform device. As we continually seek to improve our service, this occasionally means we can no longer support certain devices or features.

You can continue to stream Amazon Video on hundreds of other devices, including newer Smart TV and Blu-ray models, Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick, Roku, game consoles, Android and iOS phones and tablets, and your computer's web browser.

You can learn more about compatible devices and register a new device at:

https://www.amazon.com/instantvideo/devices
    Sincerely,

Customer Service
    Amazon.com

2. ericd

ericd Active Member

Since I got the FTV stick, I rarely (if ever) even bother with the Amazon Video app on the LG. Heck, tthinking about it, I haven't even bothered with the FTV Amazon App since the big Pilot push they were doing a while back. It seems to have simply fizzled out and there isn't much content in Prime that I'm interested in.

Other online vendors are really stepping up their game lately and the Prime music announcement really hit me with a dull yawn... Amazon Prime just doesn't seem like the great value it once appeared to be. The cost (and availability) of Prime eligible merchandise also seems to be heading in the wrong direction (...boy, was that one day sale they had about a month ago a bust...?)

Hopefully Amazon will stop playing around with RC drones and get back to what they used to be

3. ChrisG8

I dropped Netflix and picked up Amazon Prime, I am pretty happy with the service and we have several series we are watching, mostly Cinemax or HBO series. We started Strike Back and like it although I haven't checked to see how many seasons are available with Amazon Prime. I watched the first season of Banshee and then realized the second season isn't available on Prime.

4. ericd

ericd Active Member

I could see where Amazon Prime would be a good choice for a cord-cutter or someone who doesn't have HBO, but I'm more into classic TV shows and series'.Because of this, Netflix has always been my go-to app. I've been keeping Prime more for the 2 day shipping but their Pilot programs were pretty good, I just wished they would have followed through on a few of them. Maybe they still will, it's just been a while since they've made any announcements

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The Fire TV box has been out of stock on Amazon for quite a while now - and there are rumors that sometime soon Amazon will announce a new upgraded Fire TV box.

6. ericd

ericd Active Member

I've got the FTV stick (that's still in stock). I got in on it when it first came out in the $20 deal. I actually enjoy the FTV sticks Amazon Prime sections UI a lot better than the LG and even the Roku's app. Finding and using other apps on the FTV stick is a bit of a pain and trying to find side-loaded apps is a real pain.

I'm not too interested in the gaming side of Amazon FTV (or Android all together) so for simple streaming, the stick is a perfect fit for me. Side-loading is a bit more complicated than other Android devices and the lack of true mouse controller support leaves a lot of side-loaded apps un-useable but as I said earlier, the FTV stick is a perfect compliment for someone with Prime

I don't know if it's just my imagination or if the last Prime price hike had me expecting more growth in the Prime video section but lately there doesn't seem to be too much I'm interested in on Prime. Add in the fact that they changed a lot of their 2 day shipping policies and the prices of Prime eligible merchandise really shot up, now I'm right back on the fence again on whether to dish out another $100 to keep my Prime membership or just stick with Netflix and order from Ebay when I need something ordered on line

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. ChrisG8

Netflix is better than Amazon Prime Instant Video in my opinion as well but I plan to only subscribe to one of the two at any given time. I do think Amazon Prime is good and has gotten better.

I wasn't aware the Amazon Fire TV box is unavailable, something new must be coming. I think AFTV is better than Roku or Chromecast but I haven't used one of the Android TV boxes to see how those compare.

I have found a lot of albums to listen to using Amazon Prime Music, including artists I would have never considered so I like the music service well enough that the total package that comes with Amazon Prime is the best value for me. Google TV support being dropped is a bummer and I don't have AFTV on every HDTV in house but I do have something to use for Amazon Prime on every HDTV so I am OK.

8. ChrisG8

I received an email this morning offering a code for $10 off a Fire TV Stick as a result of the Google TV app being terminated.

9. ericd

ericd Active Member

Took a while but my GTV Amazon instant video is finally dead.

10. Greg 881

Greg 881 New Member

Pure BS. This is standard PR/Marketing-ese/Legal.

It's intercorporate bitching and pure greed and has nothing whatsoever to do with "improving our service". Quite the opposite actually.

This has resulted in a greatly lowered opinion of both Amazon and LG.

It's screw the customer again day.

11. ChrisG8

I am not aware of any reason to blame LG or any other Google TV manufacturer for Amazon dropping support, there is nothing that can be done. New Android TV boxes don't have Amazon Instant Video, neither does Chromecast or Apple TV, it isn't because the manufacturers aren't willing, it is Amazon's decision. Amazon dropped support for my old TiVo but did add support to newer TiVo models so I don't know exactly what Amazon is trying to accomplish. If Amazon wants its service to succeed, it needs to be available to more consumers, not fewer so maybe Amazon will change this.

12. Greg 881

Greg 881 New Member

Yes, I agree with you, at least partially. But I am told that there is a feud between Amazon and Google and if that is true this figures into it.
    The primary target should indeed be Amazon. I now have TWO flat/wide screen TVs neither of which works with Amazon. One is less
    than 4 years old (LG) and the other virtually brand new (Hisense). (I'm not 100% sure about Hisense, it could be a user error, but so far I haven't found a way to connect it to Amazon Prime). Amazon extracted money from me for this service and is now declining to satisfy that promise; It's basically fraud on their part.

I suspect the right place to direct complaints if each and every Attorney's General you can reach. But also to LG and others for their failure to beat Amazon to death over this. As for comments about specific hardware/software/technology "explanations" I could care less. I'm a consumer and all that matters to me is "do, or not do, there is no try".

13. CatfishRivers

I believe Amazon instant video works on the Nvidia Shield android TV box and the Sony android TV televisions. However Amazon instant video doesn't work on the Nexus Player android TV box.

14. Greg 881

Greg 881 New Member

Too bad we don't have a standard. Like, I don't know, HDMI or something.

15. ChrisG8

No, it is a no go on the NVIDIA Shield TV as well.

16. CatfishRivers

Yes that is correct. It works on the Sony android TVs but not officially on the Nvidia Shield android TV box. There were reports of some people side-loading the Amazon video app on the NVidia Shield but it requires touch control so it doesn't work with the Shield controller. However there are some rumors that the Amazon video app will be coming to the Nvidia Shield in the future:

Amazon Hints That Amazon Video Is Coming to Android TV - Cord Cutters News

17. ChrisG8

I hope the rumor is correct.